flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #10,996 of 39,414
okay, I guess I'm the type of person who really can't decide when there's a big feast in front of me.

I have some money and was thinking of one of these options:

1. get a chord poly for my mojo then buy a cable for my iem
2. sell the mojo somehow, buy a Hugo 2 and a cable
3. sell the mojo, get a dap that can function as a usb dac and a cable (maybe ak sp1000)

how does the Bluetooth on the Hugo work? how much does the sound get worse? is there a belt pouch for the Hugo?

I gave up on Bluetooth in less than a minute. But I'm using a iPhone which doesn't have the latest Bluetooth audio tech.

Those are great options. Is this mainly for portable purposes?

Chord should be launching a few new products this month at CanJam. Wyville made a great point noting nothing in the portable Chord realm was launched at Munich because that's focused on home systems, so maybe CanJam this month will have some new Chord portable products to factor into your options.

Also, be careful of grey market Chord products in Asia. I ran into some great prices for Hugo2 (~$1900), but fortunately already purchased from Moon Audio. I believe they were grey market so recommend buying from authorised dealers.

I'm using this waterproof "belt pouch" with Hugo2. Works great, top quality. Look forward to the possibility to pair with 2go. With that said I re-evaluating atm to sell the Hugo2 and go HugoTT2. I'll just use iPhone direct for portable since I watch a lot of videos OTG and sounds good with UE18+ direct. Maybe Mojo2 down the line, but portable not a priority. My portable needs have changed. The Hugo2 is not a grab-and-go portable solution. Maybe with the 2go, it will be; but it's sort of in no mans land between portable and desktop. I'm considering a separation of duties as that is maybe optimal. It's not that easy to just grab and jump on a scooter/moped to grab some stinky tofu solution. It's more on a sit down at the office solution for now. I'm not sure 2go will change that dynamic so focusing on the HugoTT2.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/471159...uery=flat fanny&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&ep_click=1

il_570xN.1022678616_l8vy.jpg

If I had 3 dimes to splurge, I would consider SilverFi Reference Line highly. I cannot live without in my chain when I listen actively. It really transports one to another place and I'm just in awe sometimes pairing with the Hugo2's purity. YMMV. Please evaluate carefully as this is just my experience. You'll need to consider your priorities and fit.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sil...preciation-thread.733502/page-7#post-14259562

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #10,997 of 39,414
Been a while since I've looked at the thread, but it seems that there has been a good deal of buyer's remorse regarding the Poly. But most of that seemed to be related to software, etc not being ready for prime time. But be sure to check in over there to see if folks' issues have been resolved. If you do have an interest in a wireless option, the xDSD may be another good bet. Or if wireless isn't necessary, I love my iDSD Micro BL. Exceptionally versatile and you have many adjustment options to dial in the sound.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #10,999 of 39,414
Been a while since I've looked at the thread, but it seems that there has been a good deal of buyer's remorse regarding the Poly. But most of that seemed to be related to software, etc not being ready for prime time. But be sure to check in over there to see if folks' issues have been resolved. If you do have an interest in a wireless option, the xDSD may be another good bet. Or if wireless isn't necessary, I love my iDSD Micro BL. Exceptionally versatile and you have many adjustment options to dial in the sound.
wireless isn't necessary, I just don't want the rf interference that plagues the mojo

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #11,002 of 39,414
i dont always agree with the sonic preferences of @PinkyPowers but his review of the final e5k/e4k are spot on! While i feel that the ety er3xr is more to my taste, the finals e3k-e5k are no brainer recs for music lovers who wants their music to sound lush, atmospheric and beautiul!

Pair them with your phone + a dragonfly or mojo or a DAP and let the music wash over you.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #11,005 of 39,414
I saw inearz doing a 25% discount sale. Any other iem manufacturers offering 4th of july sale?
Moon Audio will have a sale. Not on cables. Don't know what it will cover.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #11,006 of 39,414
okay, I guess I'm the type of person who really can't decide when there's a big feast in front of me.

I have some money and was thinking of one of these options:

1. get a chord poly for my mojo then buy a cable for my iem
2. sell the mojo somehow, buy a Hugo 2 and a cable
3. sell the mojo, get a dap that can function as a usb dac and a cable (maybe ak sp1000)

how does the Bluetooth on the Hugo work? how much does the sound get worse? is there a belt pouch for the Hugo?

Answer is that is supports the standard A2DP as well as the newer and better sounding APTX. You have to keep in mind that both are still compressed. Also, even though there are standards, each company makes their own bluetooth module or they purchase it from an outside vender (99% of the time). In order to have a proper connection that will max out the still compressed Bluetooth, the company on the end of the process needs to be on the same page or it won't reproduce even the compressed audio quite as good as it should. Companies don't care too much. Even the better APTX is compressed and not as good. I hear the difference on my phantoms as I have a bluetooth plug in from a guy in Canada who does GREAT work. Hugo is not different and they do source their BT from an outside company I was told, but I'm not 100%.

Jul 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #11,007 of 39,414
Answer is that is supports the standard A2DP as well as the newer and better sounding APTX. You have to keep in mind that both are still compressed. Also, even though there are standards, each company makes their own bluetooth module or they purchase it from an outside vender (99% of the time). In order to have a proper connection that will max out the still compressed Bluetooth, the company on the end of the process needs to be on the same page or it won't reproduce even the compressed audio quite as good as it should. Companies don't care too much. Even the better APTX is compressed and not as good. I hear the difference on my phantoms as I have a bluetooth plug in from a guy in Canada who does GREAT work. Hugo is not different and they do source their BT from an outside company I was told, but I'm not 100%.

Can you tell me more about the bluetooth plug you have? I'd love to find a decent one in 2 pin.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #11,008 of 39,414
New toy arrived today. :D

A&futura 01.jpg
A&futura & ME 01.jpg

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #11,009 of 39,414
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #11,010 of 39,414
Can you tell me more about the bluetooth plug you have? I'd love to find a decent one in 2 pin.

Let me check out the company, but it's not a pin deal. any 3.5mm cable will plug into it and then it becomes a wireless BT IEM. It's got a nice from factor and sounds better than any of these types of devices I've ever heard. I normally use my Noble Savants with them since they don't sound as good as the Phantoms, but I've used them when I only had Phantom's with me. I use a rollator (walker with wheels to walk) and have a bad on it, so I always have plenty of room to carry my gear, lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back