flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #8,491 of 39,419
Most new TOTL IEMs seem to be BA based or hybrids. Are high-end DD earphones slightly out of fashion? It must be considerably more difficult to design and manufacture a new DD than to buy off-the-shelf BAs from Knowles or Sonion.

IDK anything about TOTL really, but think it's a little bit a case of price leading perception. That's possibly true about R&D but from what I have read it's generally considered cheaper to produce DD than BA drivers, plus unless you are JVC FXZ series, you only need one or two per speaker.

Also seems like they are coming back into vogue a little bit with Senn & Beyer releasing/refreshing new IEM flagships recently, plus Dita, Ocharaku and probably a few others that have been keeping it up (and IMO JVC are a little bit underrated becasue the prices and tendency to 'v').

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #8,493 of 39,419
I wanted to ask for some suggestions here since I've seen some great and thoughtful suggestions. I'm looking to pick up a pair of customs, my price range is up to about $2k usd but ideally I would like to spend less. Here is what I am looking for the most, something to recreate that euphoric tube like sound of my 2 channel setup. I am looking to get as close to that SET + full range alnico speaker sound I have going in my desktop setup.

For a source right now I have the Mojo+Poly, but I'm finding it a bit fiddly so might switch to a Sony WM1A we shall see. So any suggestions of what I should look into. So far I've got the Warbler Prelude and Empire Ears Phantom on my radar. I'm going to AXPONA in Chicago in a couple weeks so I can listen to a few things there, otherwise I'll have to go on reviews unless there is a place to demo in the Chicagoland area.

The Prelude and Phantom are great places to start. If you're into a bassier response, the EE Vantage and the 64Audio N8t are beautiful choices too - both exude warmth and lushness through their DD-power low-ends. I'd also recommend the Lime Ears Model X. It has a smooth and open response that evokes the forgiveness of tube gear with the headroom and air of a speaker/headphone set-up.

does anyone know of any software that lets some ambient noise into your iems while youre listening? my ciems isolate too well and i cant hear anyone calling me

Aren't you using 64Audio CIEMs? You can try contacting them to see if they have any less-isolating APEX modules than the ones you have now.

Most new TOTL IEMs seem to be BA based or hybrids. Are high-end DD earphones slightly out of fashion? It must be considerably more difficult to design and manufacture a new DD than to buy off-the-shelf BAs from Knowles or Sonion.

I heard the DITA Fealty and Fidelity at CanJam SG and they were both pretty great! They aren't as technically capable as the Dream, but both have more engaging, energetic and forgiving signatures. This one's not exactly high-end, but the AAW A1D is also very impressive for its extremely competitive price. Full impressions of all three will accompany my upcoming CanJam SG article. :D

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #8,495 of 39,419
does anyone know of any software that lets some ambient noise into your iems while youre listening? my ciems isolate too well and i cant hear anyone calling me
Get a radsone earstudio, has ambient mic. Idk abt anything else tho.
Also, have u tried lowering the volume?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #8,496 of 39,419
Can someone compare EE Phantom to InEar Prophile-8? Both seem to have a focus on natural tonality.
Very different, pp8 is neutral, ie "flat" whereas the phantom would sound warmer compared to the pp8

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #8,498 of 39,419
I have both m15 and m20. currently on m15, and it's still quite isolating. what other options are there? is the current lineup compatible with Adel modules?
No unless specifically requested.
Maybe try lowering your volume?

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #8,499 of 39,419
I have both m15 and m20. currently on m15, and it's still quite isolating. what other options are there? is the current lineup compatible with Adel modules?

I agree with @tim0chan. If you’re already on M15’s and you can’t at all hear outside noise, you might be listening too loud.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #8,501 of 39,419
Hey guys! I'm happy to announce that I've started a dedicated thread for Music Sanctuary's Project K and its flagship debut - the Soundwriter. There, you'll find information on the initiative itself, plus content (including impressions and interviews) from @flinkenick of THL, @marcusd of Headfonics.com, @WayneWoondirts of Headfonia.com and myself! Please feel free to post impressions if you managed to hear the IEM at CanJam SG, and please be nice while you're there... *ahem* *ahem* @Mimouille *ahem* :wink: Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...cussion-and-impressions.876188/#post-14145281 Enjoy! :D

29883889_10156172739182482_1244987077_o.png

Photo courtesy of Music Sanctuary

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #8,502 of 39,419
Hey guys! I'm happy to announce that I've started a dedicated thread for Music Sanctuary's Project K and its flagship debut - the Soundwriter. There, you'll find information on the initiative itself, plus content (including impressions and interviews) from @flinkenick of THL, @marcusd of Headfonics.com, @WayneWoondirts of Headfonia.com and myself! Please feel free to post impressions if you managed to hear the IEM at CanJam SG, and please be nice while you're there... *ahem* *ahem* @Mimouille *ahem* :wink: Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...cussion-and-impressions.876188/#post-14145281 Enjoy! :D

Photo courtesy of Music Sanctuary
That's why I guess I won't go there :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #8,503 of 39,419
The Prelude and Phantom are great places to start. If you're into a bassier response, the EE Vantage and the 64Audio N8t are beautiful choices too - both exude warmth and lushness through their DD-power low-ends. I'd also recommend the Lime Ears Model X. It has a smooth and open response that evokes the forgiveness of tube gear with the headroom and air of a speaker/headphone set-up.

Thanks for the response. I just asked 64 Audio about the N8t and they said they will have it at AXPONA so i'll give it a try for sure. The Lime Ears Model X have really opened my eyes too, I wish I could hear those too. Have you by chance heard the JH Audio Lola?

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #8,504 of 39,419
A little birdie is visiting me for a few weeks. How will he fare vs the Phantom? UM Mason V3 vs EE Phantom battle royale coming soon.

Untitled9.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #8,505 of 39,419
Thanks for the response. I just asked 64 Audio about the N8t and they said they will have it at AXPONA so i'll give it a try for sure. The Lime Ears Model X have really opened my eyes too, I wish I could hear those too. Have you by chance heard the JH Audio Lola?

I have, but I haven't heard it recently enough to warrant a comparison. The one thing I'll note about the Lola is a trait that's pretty common among the entire Sirens Series line-up. There's a lower-treble peak that gives a beautiful realism and solidity to instruments like hi-hats, but can get sibilant specifically at "S" notes at higher volumes. I'll listen to it again if I get the chance, and I'll let you know. :)

A little birdie is visiting me for a few weeks. How will be fare vs the Phantom? UM Mason V3 vs EE Phantom battle royale coming soon.

Nice! :D Curious to see how you'll find the Mason V3's emphasis on space compared to the Phantom's more intimate and cozy presentation. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back