flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 8, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #5,206 of 39,414

Thanks for those links. But the big caveat is that those are show conditions. And Nic acknowledges himself that he felt things weren't ideal in terms of tips, etc. Not to mention it is worth listening to the KSE1500 both with the built-in DAC (using a digital input) as well as from other sources (analog out from another DAC/DAP).

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #5,207 of 39,414
Just occurred to me that I haven't heard any comparisons of the Shure kse1500 to the top end IEMs discussed here.

Any kse1500 owners here?
In my humble opinion, the KS1500 is playing in a different field versus most TOTL. It is just faster, clearer, more transparent, more resolving, bass is impactful and super tight and layered, etc. You can feel it is a different technology...and a better one. This being said :

- I find them ultra dependent on tips, they can sound super harsh with the wrong ones
- They depend quite a bit on source, and finding the right DAP with the right output level is not so easy. LPG works, WM1Z...not so much
- They are very unforgorgiving and a bit fatiguing, if you listen to a lot of badly mastered tracks, your ears will suffer
- The amp is not so cumbersome, but the cable is unwieldy

An audiophile friend of mine who listens more to speakers listened to all of my stuff and told me about the KSE....wow this is clearly above the crowd

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5,208 of 39,414
In case you guys missed it, Lime Ears have finally announced their latest release: The Model X!

Before anything else, I have to commend @He Is Emil for going against the grain; lower driver count, lower price, and new tech. Bravo! Secondly, I have to express disappointment that you missed out on an opportunity for a Tesla Model X pun; I expected better from you, Emil. :D Thirdly (and finally), now considering the fact that the prototype I tried (and loved) at CanJam SG 2017 was a four-driver model that's two-thirds the price of the Aether, a second audition is the only thing keeping Lime Ears from taking another dime off of my hands, and they are getting dangerously close. :wink:

Ahh! Thank you for noticing!
Just got back to work after the Model X release party (and our 5th anniversary at the same time)...
Yes I know that everybody expected new flagship but... I've decided to do things a bit different. Worked a bit more on acoustical tuning than just adding new drivers and hopefully experience gained in this process will help with future developments.
As about the pun, gosh I didn't notice! Srsly...:D Hope nice guys and gals from Elons team wouldn't mind. B-)

There are some reviews in the way. They should arrive within a week or so, hope they can shed some light for those who haven't experienced our new baby in person. :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #5,209 of 39,414
My review of the Effect Audio Eros II is up:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ef...-5mm-straight-plug.22263/reviews#review-19295

ErosII.JPG

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #5,210 of 39,414
Oct 10, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #5,213 of 39,414
@Wyville-nicely done, fine review!
(have to get off my kiester and get mine written...)

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #5,214 of 39,414
@Wyville-nicely done, fine review!
(have to get off my kiester and get mine written...)
Thanks! Ah yes, of course, you got the Eros II with the giveaway, right? I hope you are enjoying it. I have certainly enjoyed using it for a bit. :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #5,215 of 39,414
I did; just started taking notes to write it up. Had some mishaps; the 2 iems I thought I would use both developed problems, bad connections and sound dropping out, but I found some more that would work (none as good as the U6...). Now, if I can just stay focused...

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #5,216 of 39,414
I did; just started taking notes to write it up. Had some mishaps; the 2 iems I thought I would use both developed problems, bad connections and sound dropping out, but I found some more that would work (none as good as the U6...). Now, if I can just stay focused...
Hehe, I have been bouncing off the walls today as well. Too much happening and now I just heard from Vision Ears that they will soon have their entirely line available for a demo at my audiologist here in London... Poof! There goes the last bit of focus. :D

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #5,217 of 39,414
Listening to the LCD i4 currently. As impressive as it is, I feel the statement "it sounds like a full-size, open-back Headphone" is a bit exaggerated. I would say, it's presentation sits somewhere between a large-stage IEM and an open-back headphone. But it is not full size headphone material yet, because it still delivers the sound through a nozzle and you can't cheat physics.

That said, i4 definitely offers a different feel and presentation compared to an IEM. An open back and airy stage, but the instruments themselves are not presented farther away. So in terms of instrument placement, it is fairly similar to large-stage IEMs like W900 or A18. But the open back feeling is what is different on the i4 than a typical IEM. It will be interesting to compare this and my Zeus with Fully-Open MAM.

Actually one thing it does quite similar to a full size HP is the image size of bass instruments/notes. It's definitely larger than the bass images created by IEMs. That and the quality of the bass itself is the best I have heard. Yes, better than Fourte's bass. I love Fourte's bass equally, but for different reasons. I need to do some tip rolling to see how things change. But for now, those are my first impressions.

IMG_2541.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,218 of 39,414
Listening to the LCD i4 currently. As impressive as it is, I feel the statement "it sounds like a full-size, open-back Headphone" is a bit exaggerated. I would say, it's presentation sits somewhere between a large-stage IEM and an open-back headphone. But it is not full size headphone material yet, because it still delivers the sound through a nozzle and you can't cheat physics.

That said, i4 definitely offers a different feel and presentation compared to an IEM. An open back and airy stage, but the instruments themselves are not presented farther away. So in terms of instrument placement, it is fairly similar to large-stage IEMs like W900 or A18. But the open back feeling is what is different on the i4 than a typical IEM. It will be interesting to compare this and my Zeus with Fully-Open MAM.

Actually one thing it does quite similar to a full size HP is the image size of bass instruments/notes. It's definitely larger than the bass images created by IEMs. That and the quality of the bass itself is the best I have heard. Yes, better than Fourte's bass. I love Fourte's bass equally, but for different reasons. I need to do some tip rolling to see how things change. But for now, those are my first impressions.

IMO the best stock tip is the grooved ones. They provide the most balanced sound. I’m using Comply 600 isolation, notes are even more defined with a more subdued treble. However, I’m able to restore the treble sparkle using EQ. Very happy with the sound.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #5,219 of 39,414
IMO the best stock tip is the grooved ones. They provide the most balanced sound. I’m using Comply 600 isolation, notes are even more defined with a more subdued treble. However, I’m able to restore the treble sparkle using EQ. Very happy with the sound.

Thanks for letting me know. I am yet to try the groove tips. Are the tips supposed to seal well or does the nozzle just sit on the ear without a locked seal? I don't think I have optimum seal with the tip I am using right now. I will give the groove tips a go in a bit.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #5,220 of 39,414
Thanks for letting me know. I am yet to try the groove tips. Are the tips supposed to seal well or does the nozzle just sit on the ear without a locked seal? I don't think I have optimum seal with the tip I am using right now. I will give the groove tips a go in a bit.

I always try to position them with the best seal possible. This is to get the optimum low frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back