flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #3,961 of 39,414
will post some tomorrow , when i take some pics of my now FS sony zx2

they are great , i love them and they have zero hiss and great synergy with my WM1A (which is why i am selling my ZX2)

now all i need is to 4.4 my cables and i am done (and also start a puppy farm ofc)
Nice! I look forward to seeing them!

I have the WM1A high on my wishlist. I really miss the Sony battery life, although my AK70 sounds fantastic.

I believe the PW No5 works well with Zeus, not? It's quite affordable. I have the Ares II coming in (the one in the picture was a loaner), but that is because my Ei.3 can really use the added brightness.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,962 of 39,414
PW No5 is very high on my wish list - @flinkenick suggested it , the price is affordable and i would probably go for the 4-braid as zeus sounds very good even with my 4-braid forza audio hybrid (which is low/mid priced like no5)

i have not seen any zeus XR + pw5 owners opinins here though so i need to take a leap of faith

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,963 of 39,414
About No5, Neutral or Warm may not be the right terms to describe the cable, as it is neither neutral nor does it have an enhanced mid-bass to make it predominantly warm. It has a touch of warmth that is due to the longer decay of the mid-bass and a smooth treble that is a result of rounded lower treble and average treble extension. So it is not a highly resolving cable. But what's impressive about the cable is its high transparency in the midrange as there is no veiling from excessive warmth or thickness. The mid range is full-bodied and placed slightly forward. Apart from having good transparency, it's tone is also quite good and falls in the ball park of natural. The stage is not a specialty of this cable, but it does present a clean and coherent stage with good separation and imaging.

It is a great choice for an entry level upgrade cable if you are looking for one that has a good tone and are you are not too particular about stage or resolution. It should also help smoothen out some brightness if that's something you'd like.

Regarding the pairing with the Zeus, keep in mind, my LPG is bright and the Zeus-ADEL is also on the bright side. So it does not help smoothen out the treble completely. But it does smoothen things out to a certain extent. But if you own a non-ADEL Zeus and will be pairing it with a neutral or a neutral-warm DAP, I'd highly recommend the No5. It makes the vocals sound very good btw.

IMG_2351.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,964 of 39,414
Regarding the pairing with the Zeus, keep in mind, my LPG is bright and the Zeus-ADEL is also on the bright side. So it does not help smoothen out the treble completely. But it does smoothen things out a bit.

But if you own a non-ADEL Zeus and will be pairing it with a neutral or a neutral-warm DAP, I'd highly recommend the No5. It makes the vocals sound very good btw.

thanx for the impressions , much appreciated :beerchug:

regarding the bold part of your comments, i have the non-adel zeus and i am pairing it with a neutral-warm DAP (sony wm1a) so getting no5 sounds like what the doctor ordered

do you have the 4 or the 8 braid version ?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #3,965 of 39,414
thanx for the impressions , much appreciated :beerchug:

regarding the bold part of your comments, i have the non-adel zeus and i am pairing it with a neutral-warm DAP (sony wm1a) so getting no5 sounds like what the doctor ordered

do you have the 4 or the 8 braid version ?

Mine is the 4 braid.

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #3,966 of 39,414
thanx again

btw i see you are located in TX , hope you guys are wearhering the storm there and you are safe

cheers

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,967 of 39,414
Thanks buddy. We were fortunate that all we got was just non-stop but harmless rain over the weekend. It's the people on some of the coastal cities and Houston who are going through some tough time.

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #3,969 of 39,414
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,970 of 39,414
About No5, Neutral or Warm may not be the right terms to describe the cable, as it is neither neutral nor does it have an enhanced mid-bass to make it predominantly warm. It has a touch of warmth that is due to the longer decay of the mid-bass and a smooth treble that is a result of rounded lower treble and average treble extension. So it is not a highly resolving cable. But what's impressive about the cable is its high transparency in the midrange as there is no veiling from excessive warmth or thickness. The mid range is full-bodied and placed slightly forward. Apart from having good transparency, it's tone is also quite good and falls in the ball park of natural. The stage is not a specialty of this cable, but it does present a clean and coherent stage with good separation and imaging.

It is a great choice for an entry level upgrade cable if you are looking for one that has a good tone and are you are not too particular about stage or resolution. It should also help smoothen out some brightness if that's something you'd like.

Regarding the pairing with the Zeus, keep in mind, my LPG is bright and the Zeus-ADEL is also on the bright side. So it does not help smoothen out the treble completely. But it does smoothen things out to a certain extent. But if you own a non-ADEL Zeus and will be pairing it with a neutral or a neutral-warm DAP, I'd highly recommend the No5. It makes the vocals sound very good btw.

Thanks for sharing that! I knew about the No.5 from @flinkenick and this was quite complementary to what he explained about it. Very helpful!

And happy to hear you are in a safe part of Texas!

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #3,971 of 39,414
How do you find the AK70 in comparison with DP-X1 @Deezel177? From memory. Just curious.. :)

Well, fortunately, my AK70-Kai has just arrived at MS after having the mod fixed by Ryuzoh, so I won't have to base these comparisons on memory for much longer :D From what I can remember, the AK70 has a more bodied sound with more naturalness, musicality, and engagement. The DP-X1, by comparison, is more laid-back, which makes up for its rather neutral character, but its somewhat rolled-off treble gives the overall atmosphere a slightly dark and warm tinge. The main advantage I find the AK70 to have is bass quantity and quality (it hits harder and with more richness), midrange body and air (vocals have more physicality, space and realism), and treble extension and sparkle (although the treble is somewhat attenuated on the AK70, its extension and energy keeps it clear, present and lively). I'd have to give soundstage size and organisation to the DP-X1, as the AK70 is the more intimate player, and the DP-X1 is also pound-for-pound with the AK70 in terms of dynamics. Though, this is all regarding the stock, un-modded AK70. I can't wait to listen to the AK70-Kai and post impressions within the next couple months.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #3,972 of 39,414
Well, fortunately, my AK70-Kai has just arrived at MS after having the mod fixed by Ryuzoh, so I won't have to base these comparisons on memory for much longer :D From what I can remember, the AK70 has a more bodied sound with more naturalness, musicality, and engagement. The DP-X1, by comparison, is more laid-back, which makes up for its rather neutral character, but its somewhat rolled-off treble gives the overall atmosphere a slightly dark and warm tinge. The main advantage I find the AK70 to have is bass quantity and quality (it hits harder and with more richness), midrange body and air (vocals have more physicality, space and realism), and treble extension and sparkle (although the treble is somewhat attenuated on the AK70, its extension and energy keeps it clear, present and lively). I'd have to give soundstage size and organisation to the DP-X1, as the AK70 is the more intimate player, and the DP-X1 is also pound-for-pound with the AK70 in terms of dynamics. Though, this is all regarding the stock, un-modded AK70. I can't wait to listen to the AK70-Kai and post impressions within the next couple months.

Based on your description of AK70, it sounds like a fine little dap for listening with neutral and more revealing iems, but not so good for a sound evaluation since it boosts and colors the sound.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,973 of 39,414
Try the KANN. A&K must have EQ'd the hell out of it. Never heard any other player sound so obviously boosted in warmth. It doesn't sound normal. If you want thick ambiance anf boosted bass, less shrill, it will provide. Just that A&K player characteristics do not output analog sounding or natural. They got technically proficient models that can output the highest resolution though.

So far the best price performance portable that sounds most convincingly real had been the Mojo. Haven't heard the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,974 of 39,414
Help~~~~~~~~

question about DAP noise floor for sensitive IEM, is looking at SNR enough to know?
is SNR, ≥120 dB (A-weighted) good for 120dB/mw and 22 ohms?

i guess what im looking for is DAP with?
1) extremely low to zero noise floor
2) Anroid play store, spotify, tidal, youtube...
3) good EQ
4) under 700 Euros
5) (optional) slightly bright would be nice

currently considering
Pioneer XDP-100R ----300 Euro
Pioneer XDP-300R ----700 Euro
Fiio X5 Gen III -----450 Euro

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,975 of 39,414
Help~~~~~~~~

question about DAP noise floor for sensitive IEM, is looking at SNR enough to know?
is SNR, ≥120 dB (A-weighted) good for 120dB/mw and 22 ohms?

i guess what im looking for is DAP with?
1) extremely low to zero noise floor
2) Anroid play store, spotify, tidal, youtube...
3) good EQ
4) under 700 Euros
5) (optional) slightly bright would be nice

currently considering
Pioneer XDP-100R ----300 Euro
Pioneer XDP-300R ----700 Euro
Fiio X5 Gen III -----450 Euro
This is an iem thread so why the dap questions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back