flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,101 of 39,414

YAY! Finally the 18+ comes out
Smooth mids and treble, wide soundstage with great resolution and accurate timbre, I'm really glad i didn't miss out too much by not getting this one as my end game iem

Awesome review Nic, cheers :beerchug:

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,102 of 39,414
well, nic is becoming a legend with this thread and his write-ups

no hype , no fanboyism, no companies ass-kissing - the man tells it like it is

stellar job and a huge help to all us out there who are looking for TOTL (C)iems to spend our hard earned money on

bravo Nic , you are a true asset to this community

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,105 of 39,414
Darn it, there goes my top 5. @proedros, who's still in the hunt with their picks?

well at this point it's easier for people to step up and say 'i am still 5/5'

it should be less than 20 people probably

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,107 of 39,414
Jun 23, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,109 of 39,414
Nic has a way of peeling back the onion. I'm happy with being able to get to the 5th layer, but Nic doesn't stop there because he has the ability to uncover the complex relationship between all the parts as they unfold. Your analytical skills are on a different level. Thanks for your insight and hard work.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,110 of 39,414

Stellar review as always, @flinkenick! I was very close to purchasing the UE18+ on first listen as well, until I decided I preferred the Zeus-XR's leg-up in technical performance. It's natural, effortless, and absolutely beautiful tone is definitely something to behold.

How do you compare this Aether? Thanks

As an Aether owner, I'd say they both strive towards a natural tonality, but achieve it in different ways.

The Aether looks to achieve "fun" in its signature, as well as replicate the spaciousness and air of studio monitors. The UE18+ seeks to replicate what a stage environment is like. I was listening to a live performance on both IEMs. With the former, it's like listening to the recorded performance with a pair of studio monitors and a sub after mixing/mastering. With the latter, it's like being there with the band.

The Aether has a punchier, but looser and less clear, woofer-like bass, a more distant and less bodied midrange, and a slightly more accentuated upper mid peak for crispness an sparkle. It's an exciting signature, but it lacks the extreme coherency and linearity the Nick described in his review. The Aether is also significantly deeper than it is wide, making the UE18+ considerably more engaging. Both are great in their own right IMO (and even complimentary to some degree), it's simply a matter of preference.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #2,111 of 39,414
Stellar review as always, @flinkenick! I was very close to purchasing the UE18+ on first listen as well, until I decided I preferred the Zeus-XR's leg-up in technical performance. It's natural, effortless, and absolutely beautiful tone is definitely something to behold.

As an Aether owner, I'd say they both strive towards a natural tonality, but achieve it in different ways.

The Aether looks to achieve "fun" in its signature, as well as replicate the spaciousness and air of studio monitors. The UE18+ seeks to replicate what a stage environment is like. I was listening to a live performance on both IEMs. With the former, it's like listening to the recorded performance with a pair of studio monitors and a sub after mixing/mastering. With the latter, it's like being there with the band.

The Aether has a punchier, but looser and less clear, woofer-like bass, a more distant and less bodied midrange, and a slightly more accentuated upper mid peak for crispness an sparkle. It's an exciting signature, but it lacks the extreme coherency and linearity the Nick described in his review. The Aether is also significantly deeper than it is wide, making the UE18+ considerably more engaging. Both are great in their own right IMO (and even complimentary to some degree), it's simply a matter of preference.

So you are saying they are just different but not consider superior or upgrade to one another?

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #2,112 of 39,414
I double checked the predictions thread, and there are only 3 possible unique combinations of the top 5 that do not have one of the eliminated IEMs.

A18, Zeus and W900 all appear in these 3 predictions, so by deduction they should be in Flinkenick's top 5.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #2,114 of 39,414
I have 4 out of 5 still alive in my top 5. Not so bad. I had thought the NT6 Pro would be higher. Also I have the Warbler in my top 5 and I am not sure he will make it. I have the AAW900 in my top 5 and I am not sure either...because I only had the universal and I think the custom will be better. Finally, I should fail to to the Tsar...reviews seem to say it is awesome...and I discounted it.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,115 of 39,414
I'm honestly shocked at how Aether was ranked near last while it should've been above Hidition, Katana, those I have already had extensive time listening to. The stock cable on Aether is crap, cheap generic and didn't do it any justice. Sadly, it's the rule of this shotout to use stock cable and i'm saddened by the fact that some companies do offer better stock cable.
As for the Zeus, I honestly think it's very high resolving but the treble is bright and bass is too thin. You will be wowed by its technicality but not everything else compared to Aether.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back