flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,276 of 39,414
Hi Piotr thanks for the courteous reply, I'm not sure everyone would take it that well. Like Alex said; I tried try to include the best to start with, and the 8.2 is surely one of them.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't take reviews personally (otherwise I would have ended up in some mental institution long time ago lol :p ). I have simply different preferences, I express them through our products and I'm happy some of our customers find my idea about sound to match theirs.
I heard most of the competition listed here myself so I know how different and how wide the spectrum of sound in this shootout is.
That said all criticisms dully noted, and all I can probably say right now is wait for what comes next in FIBAE line up :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,277 of 39,414
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't take reviews personally (otherwise I would have ended up in some mental institution long time ago lol :p ). I have simply different preferences, I express them through our products and I'm happy some of our customers find my idea about sound to match theirs.
We certainly love your sound (of the Ei.3 in my case) and within the context of the shootout I felt Nic's review to be fair and accurate. There is of course also the review Nic did of the 8.2 last year and that was a glowing review and makes for a nice comparison (two reviews in different contexts).
I heard most of the competition listed here myself so I know how different and how wide the spectrum of sound in this shootout is.
That said all criticisms dully noted, and all I can probably say right now is wait for what comes next in FIBAE line up :)
I think we are all looking forward to that! I came across a few discussions here on the forums about the sometimes over-emphasis on technical performance and detail. Someone (I can't remember who it was) commented on IEMs and headphones producing sounds you would never pick up during a live performance and that a natural and smooth sound was more realistic. Despite my lack of experience, I like to think that my Ei.3 are more realistic than analytical and love that. I can only imagine how immersive a TOTL FIBAE is going to sound.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #1,280 of 39,414
So for anyone that's heard it this one might be a bit of a shocker, as it is a fantastic iem. I've been staring at the scores for the better part of last week, but I'm afraid the math checks out.

It sounds beautiful. In fact, its signature is nicer than a lot of the iems in the shootout. And this too is reflected in its scoring. But, as is the nature of this shootout; the performance is rated on 10 aspects.

Dear Emil, please know that along with Piotr you're one of my favorite people in the industry - so announcing this hurts me as much as it does you (well, kind of..).

Rank #16:

But do let me know if I should forward you a pic as well :wink:

ps. I don't know how to upload the chart on page 2 with the new system, hope the THL image is readable. Seemed kinda small. If not, let me know.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,281 of 39,414
So for anyone that's heard it this one might be a bit of a shocker, as it is a fantastic iem. I've been staring at the scores for the better part of last week, but I'm afraid the math checks out.

It sounds beautiful. In fact, its signature is nicer than a lot of the iems in the shootout. And this too is reflected in its scoring. But, as is the nature of this shootout; the performance is rated on 10 aspects.

Dear Emil, please know that along with Piotr you're one of my favorite people in the industry - so announcing this hurts me as much as it does you (well, kind of..).

Rank #16:

ps. I don't know how to upload the chart on page 2 with the new system, hope the THL image is readable. Seemed kinda small. If not, let me know.

Great review, absolutely beautiful shell work.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,283 of 39,414
Great review indeed!

@flinkenick I would "like" you but apparently you're a security risk #StrangerDanger #FeelsBadMan

EDIT: it even stripped out my thumbs-up emoji

I would suggest turning off the email alerts ad they day that about everything from head-fi and instead watch your threads via your profile instead.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #1,284 of 39,414
When I click the "Like" link I get this:

http://imgur.com/a/QUvtZ

Likewise when I try to add a quote to my post, or upload an image, or click to add a smiley, or ...

But for some reason posting is OK.

Adding an image via url seemed to work the other day, but now it just turns into:
QUvtZ

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,285 of 39,414

Rank #16:

Based on what I have read about the Aether this is certainly unexpected, but I think that is the charm of the shootout. It throws everything in a different perspective. Great work again Nic!

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,286 of 39,414
First of all: (another) excellent review Nic! I also expected the Aether to end up higher in the ranking.

When I click the "Like" link I get this:
http://imgur.com/a/QUvtZ

Every time I clicked the ''Like'' link, I saw an extra $10 appear on my bankaccount => busy night ahead!!! Gotta love commercial sites like these :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,287 of 39,414
@flinkenick - Nice review Nic! Your review underscores the challenge that you have as well as the rest of us: sometimes our favorite ciem isn't necessarily the one that offers the best technicalities, but it's the one we turn to more often than not. The head vs. the heart..... But something tells me that the very best will address both of these qualities: the merging of emotion, and intellect.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,288 of 39,414
Saving up the reading for my work break tomorrow, but I'd still gladly pay a tracked shipping for the chance to have an Aether for a week >:-]]
We need a european cloned Barra in here
:grin:

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,289 of 39,414
From the many IEMs I've listened briefly during CanJam, I like the Aether a lot. This is an IEM that impresses you from the beginning. Surprising the bass was its weakness, I thought otherwise. Maybe after a more analytical and longer listen, I would understand. A great IEM nonetheless.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #1,290 of 39,414
Wow, honestly I'm pretty shocked right now knowing that aether rank fairly low. i had some short session with the aether demo unit in e-earphone, it was one of a kind tuning of an iem, so beautifully presented, so natural. the note transition between the note is so smooth and it has a nice air. But unfortunately i couldn't spend a long time with aether and i'm type of person that need a lot of listening time to fully assess the strong and weak point of an equipment.

nevertheless it's really a superb analysis there nic, i could relate to the how weak aether in the bass extension and the upper extension from the memory. the upper midrange is indeed one of the most beautiful part of this iem yet it still lack the top end extension. and i do think it still lack some of the precise detail retrieval.

even right now i'm still thinking to get a pair in the future, and from what i heard the lime ears have created the prototype of the aether successor if that could fix some of the aether weak point, then i'm sold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back