flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #11,326 of 39,414
All dynamic drivers are vented, from what I understand.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #11,327 of 39,414
Deleted the post content, as it is irrelevant. I was under the impression that the Final IEM under discussion was a BA IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #11,328 of 39,414
has anybody converted dsd to flac? I'm just researching it right now and read some stuff about noise that I didn't understand

https://www.psaudio.com/ps_faq/converting-dsd-to-pcm-bad/
It’s saying 5.2 MHz DSD doesn’t have a problem with conversions (unless you can hear in the 60 khz range and have gear that can go that high), but 2.6 GHz conversions can create noise around 20 kHz. They also seem to be talking specifically about conversions from DSD to PCM, modifying the PCM data, then converting back to DSD (the noise is introduced when you convert back to DSD).

So I guess converting DSD to PCM will not create noise. They also say you need to have a high sample rate and bit size or else you’ll lose information. I imagine that’s more impactful when doing one-time conversions.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #11,329 of 39,414
It’s saying 5.2 MHz DSD doesn’t have a problem with conversions (unless you can hear in the 60 khz range and have gear that can go that high), but 2.6 GHz conversions can create noise around 20 kHz. They also seem to be talking specifically about conversions from DSD to PCM, modifying the PCM data, then converting back to DSD (the noise is introduced when you convert back to DSD).

So I guess converting DSD to PCM will not create noise. They also say you need to have a high sample rate and bit size or else you’ll lose information. I imagine that’s more impactful when doing one-time conversions.
Isn't 20 kHz a theoretical problem since:
1) most adults don't hear at 20 kHz, and
2) headphones roll of before 20 kHz ?

Mike

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #11,330 of 39,414
Isn't 20 kHz a theoretical problem since:
1) most adults don't hear at 20 kHz, and
2) headphones roll of before 20 kHz ?

Mike
Yep, I would speculate these problems are more for audio engineers to be aware of. A straight conversion shouldn’t introduce more noise since you aren’t transforming the signal. But you could lose data via insufficient sampling.

Disclaimer: I’m not an audio engineer, I studied some DSP during my university years.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #11,331 of 39,414
Deleted the post content, as it is irrelevant. I was under the impression that the Final IEM under discussion was a BA IEM.

lol. Now you've got me questioning myself. I always assumed it was a dynamic, but to be honest, I read very little about the lower models of the E-Series. Maybe it is a BA! :astonished:

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #11,332 of 39,414

I would assume they have to as it creates a back wave that MUST be turned into heat or dissipated. If not, it will ruin the sound waves/music.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #11,334 of 39,414
is there an earphone that turns it into heat?

Most of us prefer to strap a set of hair driers to our heads. Best price/performance ratio in the industry.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #11,335 of 39,414
You can always try converting and listening for yourself if you hear any noise.

https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

I never experienced any noise when I converted DSD to WAV for the Tera Player (WAV-only). It played quite beautifully @ 88.2KHz. YMMV.

self.gif

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #11,338 of 39,414
lol. Now you've got me questioning myself. I always assumed it was a dynamic, but to be honest, I read very little about the lower models of the E-Series. Maybe it is a BA! :astonished:

No, you were right - it's a 6.4mm DD on the E5000. Listened to them at Canjam, and hopefully getting my hands on a set next week - beautiful bassy butteriness.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #11,339 of 39,414
Nope, E5000 is sealed from what I've read.

it's vented, so not truly sealed nor semi open ...
Yeah, I was a little confused by this myself because the E2000/E3000 have what looks like a mesh on the back while the E4000/E5000 do not have that, but I spoke to Oscar who confirmed that they have a similar vented design. I call it semi-open because it seems to be more open than my SE215.
I think so too, but with my SE215 I still get a really good seal and isolation, whereas the E2000 is quite open by comparison.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #11,340 of 39,414
is there an earphone that turns it into heat?

Not an engineer so I wouldn't know. I know on my Vandersteen speakers, he has a long route for the back wave to travel before it gets released from the cabinet. It's dissipated this way and some of the energy does turn to heat. It's a good question for the engineers on the board though. I know of a few vibration control devices that take the vibrations and turn them into heat and the heat is dissipated via huge copper disks inside the feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back