flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #11,237 of 39,414
Awesome, a coke, beer, something like that. Maybe a gold plated silver cable if you have a few extras...

Nic, will you be able to get 250 hours of burn-in done today? :)

Which cables did you get? Looks like maybe an OCC Copper and perhaps the SG 2.98 mk2?

-Collin-

Yes the standard copper cable (Pandora Dwarf?) and 2.98 4-braid.

I snuck in some brief listening to the Eden before putting it on burn. Since it is neither bass-heavy (to say the least), nor has a prominent treble, I suspect its general sound will not change drastically after burn. The first song I tried was a bass-heavy EDM track I had used to gauge the bass quantities of the headphones at the store. My first thought was "If you are the type of person that hates bass, this iem just might be right for you!" In terms of raw impact, the Eden is a bit uninspiring. For comparison, the bass quantity is either close to the IE800s, or possibly less.

In a distant way, you can hear some resemblance to the Galaxy, but more in the general 'gestalt' of the sound, not the actual tonal balance; the Galaxy is significantly brighter, and more articulate. One might say, it is like the Galaxy with less bass and treble. What you are left with is a rather uncolored sound. You get a sense that this might actually be truly accurate, or at least one of the many possible variations thereof. Its strange because we tend to use the word coloration as a bad thing, but then you listen to Eden and then you scratch your head and wonder, maybe this means I like coloration? Normally, manufacturers throw bass in the cooking pot, and then mix in different treble peaks to get the flavour to their liking. By removing both the bass and treble, you are left with a more 'pure' sound. It sounds clear, but in a completely non-bright way. The thing is, because it isn't warm, it's not what I would traditionally associate with 'natural'. But at the same time, a piano or violin sounds especially realistic. Just not in a particularly romantic way. It's one of those moments where you're forced to re-evaluate what your conception of 'accurate', 'natural', and 'uncolored' sound is in the first place (don't you hate when that happens??).

The second aspect where Eden strays from the Galaxy, is its midrange. The first track I played was clearly a miss, but I switched to some vocal-based acoustic music after. My major gripe with the Galaxy was not its brightness, but its laid-back and thin vocals. Eden's vocals are much improved compared to the Galaxy. It has sufficient midrange presence, and creates nice bodied and slightly dense vocals. Its instruments are neutral in size, but not lean. I might want my male vocals a touch warmer, but especially female vocals sound clear in tone, with a very nice presence. Importantly, it remains completely sibilance free, at least so far. So it isn't a harsh sound in any way. Overall, Eden isn't going to be crowd-pleaser, but it's clear to sense the direction Sammy was going in, and more importantly, that he achieved what he intended to. There is a certain purity in its sound, even though that also makes it feel like it lacks some excitement or character. But for acoustic and especially classical music, it has something special to offer - I might even use the realism in its tone as a benchmark of sorts.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #11,238 of 39,414
@flinkenick thanks for your very insightful post. I hear the same...it's sort of a strange feeling, where it seems to achieve absolute neutrality as intended, but that won't win any awards for excitement. I've never been one to crave an absolutely flat sound signature, but at the same time can certainly appreciate what it does.

Totally agree on Galaxy minus the bass and treble, with improved vocals. I still think there will be purists who love the Eden for what it offers.

By the way, I'm still expecting Legend X levels of bass out of the Eden once I reach that 250 hours of burn-in...

-Collin-

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #11,239 of 39,414
Yes the standard copper cable (Pandora Dwarf?) and 2.98 4-braid.

I snuck in some brief listening to the Eden before putting it on burn. Since it is neither bass-heavy (to say the least), nor has a prominent treble, I suspect its general sound will not change drastically after burn. The first song I tried was a bass-heavy EDM track I had used to gauge the bass quantities of the headphones at the store. My first thought was "If you are the type of person that hates bass, this iem just might be right for you!" In terms of raw impact, the Eden is a bit uninspiring. For comparison, the bass quantity is either close to the IE800s, or possibly less.

In a distant way, you can hear some resemblance to the Galaxy, but more in the general 'gestalt' of the sound, not the actual tonal balance; the Galaxy is significantly brighter, and more articulate. One might say, it is like the Galaxy with less bass and treble. What you are left with is a rather uncolored sound. You get a sense that this might actually be truly accurate, or at least one of the many possible variations thereof. Its strange because we tend to use the word coloration as a bad thing, but then you listen to Eden and then you scratch your head and wonder, maybe this means I like coloration? Normally, manufacturers throw bass in the cooking pot, and then mix in different treble peaks to get the flavour to their liking. By removing both the bass and treble, you are left with a more 'pure' sound. It sounds clear, but in a completely non-bright way. The thing is, because it isn't warm, it's not what I would traditionally associate with 'natural'. But at the same time, a piano or violin sounds especially realistic. Just not in a particularly romantic way. It's one of those moments where you're forced to re-evaluate what your conception of 'accurate', 'natural', and 'uncolored' sound is in the first place (don't you hate when that happens??).

The second aspect where Eden strays from the Galaxy, is its midrange. The first track I played was clearly a miss, but I switched to some vocal-based acoustic music after. My major gripe with the Galaxy was not its brightness, but its laid-back and thin vocals. Eden's vocals are much improved compared to the Galaxy. It has sufficient midrange presence, and creates nice bodied and slightly dense vocals. Its instruments are neutral in size, but not lean. I might want my male vocals a touch warmer, but especially female vocals sound clear in tone, with a very nice presence. Importantly, it remains completely sibilance free, at least so far. So it isn't a harsh sound in any way. Overall, Eden isn't going to be crowd-pleaser, but it's clear to sense the direction Sammy was going in, and more importantly, that he achieved what he intended to. There is a certain purity in its sound, even though that also makes it feel like it lacks some excitement or character. But for acoustic and especially classical music, it has something special to offer - I might even use the realism in its tone as a benchmark of sorts.

@Wyville , this impression makes me think of a more linear HD800 in IEM form. @flinkenick , how is the stage and separation?

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #11,240 of 39,414
@Wyville , this impression makes me think of a more linear HD800 in IEM form. @flinkenick , how is the stage and separation?
I would say it is less peaky than the HD800, and less bright. The stage shape and dimensions are roughly similar to Galaxy, but I think its layering is a bit better due to the attenuated bass. It's an airy stage with good separation, but also not a pin-point accurate sound in terms of imaging. I think because the lower treble is relatively flat. But I will let it burn for a few days; even though it's not bassy, I think the quality of air might improve once the driver is burned, and accordingly its separation.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #11,242 of 39,414
In case any of you 'Mericans didn't realize, apparently today was National Hotdog Day for yous. I was saving this one but...

Happy Hotdog Day y'all!
giphy.gif

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #11,244 of 39,414
The Haka is a solid all-rounder, even if I think it's a bit softer-sounding (with less upper-treble emphasis and extension) than the A12t. The only universal I tried was the horribly murky, bass-y and veiled one at Music Sanctuary. I don't know whether or not it was a faulty unit, but I tried a fair number of tips and cables, and nothing seemed to help. So, I'd definitely recommend customs if you can.
hmm, that seems horrible, they never replaced it?

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #11,245 of 39,414
That certainly sounds interesting!

I also remember the discussion we had here in the thread a while back about a hybrid Phantom and how that would affect the sound and texture of the bass. In a similar line, it has made me very interested in hearing DD driver IEMs that are tuned much more neutral, to see how that translates into the sound/texture of bass instruments.

Loving how the Eden look as well!

They are definitely on my radar and I hope things settle down soon so I can spend more time on Head-fi again, as everything is a little bit exhausting at the moment.

tenor.gif

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #11,248 of 39,414
hmm, that seems horrible, they never replaced it?

Well, Jomo is under Euphoria Audio now. I don’t know whether or not the demo unit there is any better. I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Anybody try iFi Audio micro – iUSB3.0? Deciding whether to go this route or go with traditional premium USB cable..

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

-- and/or --

iFi AudioMercury3.0

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/mercury3-0/

I personally use the iFi Micro USB because my PC can’t seem to supply enough bus power to charge my Mojo. It’s worked really well so far, though the power supply does have a slight whine that’s only audible in a completely silent room.

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #11,250 of 39,414
what is euphoria audio? I'm out of the loop on this

They’re a dealer - like Music Sanctuary are - in Singapore, founded by the same guys as Effect Audio. They’ve been carrying Empire Ears, Jomo Audio and Vision Ears for quite a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back