flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 24, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #10,036 of 39,414
Okay, couldn't resist. My Phantom just got back... "Now with 100% more Ares II." :D

Phantom_8W.png

May 24, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #10,037 of 39,414
Okay, couldn't resist. My Phantom just got back... "Now with 100% more Ares II." :D

I can’t imagine how beautiful that pairing must sound! My Phantom’s are currently back at EE for refit. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but the right side fits just as well as the left in the canal, but is uneven along the anti-tragus. The asymmetrical skin contact is giving me some pseudo-channel-imbalance, so I wanna make it as perfect as possible for the full review. This also means my very-nearly-complete Prelude review will be delayed until they come back for comparison, but I will have another single-BA CIEM review coming up as a substitute. Stay tuned... :wink:

May 24, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #10,038 of 39,414
Just to chime in and a the risk of further hi-jacking this thread, i demo'd the Ls50w's for a week, because i thought they might be quite neat solution for my office. I'd say they're a few steps from being the finished article, more from a usability point of view than sound quality. You end up with more visible cabling than you do with a traditional set up, power leads, network cable and a linking cable between the speakers. The app is clunky, you cant switch sources without swapping to the kef remote, or using the panel on the speaker top and the app's volume control is very odd, in that it doesnt audibly increase the volume until you take your finger off the slider. Sound quality is pretty good and comparable with other £1000 not £2000 speakers. Its great to see this happening at a lower price point, but even for a secondary se-up i'm going to stick with wires and multiple boxes until they've ironed out the compromises in usability and they can offer something that actually is wireless. I feel as a buyer your still paying for a prototype albeit a slickly finished and marketed one.
Sorry 'bout the OT. Yep the app is stinky lol. We steer clear of it but KEF does promise patches soon...
Speaking to sound quality, I get some not being thoroughly impressed. It just means they have great ears...or their bassheads! From the chats we've had in the past you get a free pass!

The way we look at the LS50W is that a pair of them will cost you $3K here in Canada - $1650 for the lazy variety - and, DAC aside, we know of no amp/spk cable combo in the $1500 range that can make LS50's sing like their fitter brothers - LS50's are not a bad speaker to start with but clearly not a universal fit. And last thing before I ever mention them here again, most LS50W will find themselves on desks and other furnishings but like any loudspeaker of this quality, to really showoff they will be best on heavy/filled stands positioned out in the room where they are afforded the breath to image properly. Acoustics first, equipment second. K I'll only be back if it's iem related!

May 24, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #10,039 of 39,414
I can’t imagine how beautiful that pairing must sound! My Phantom’s are currently back at EE for refit. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but the right side fits just as well as the left in the canal, but is uneven along the anti-tragus. The asymmetrical skin contact is giving me some pseudo-channel-imbalance, so I wanna make it as perfect as possible for the full review. This also means my very-nearly-complete Prelude review will be delayed until they come back for comparison, but I will have another single-BA CIEM review coming up as a substitute. Stay tuned... :wink:
...and there is that wink again! :D Looking forward to your Prelude review, it's been a long time coming, but I am sure it will be worth it. Hope you get your Phantom back soon as well!

I have only listened very briefly to the Phantom with the 8-wire, but it is incredibly good and works wonders for classical symphonies. Beethoven's No.3 flowed so incredibly beautiful, simply mesmerising! I think it will indeed be a little bit of a shootout between Lionheart and the 8-wire to decide what pairing will best suit my preferences.

May 24, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #10,040 of 39,414

I just have my Phantom back for left side refit. I can listen with my Phantom comfortably now. I think now I understand how come many head fiers praise Phantom. To me, it is not as micro detail as my Zeus R. However, I feel its sound is more 3D and energetic than Zeus R. Can't wait to see how it goes after 200 hours burn-in.

May 24, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #10,041 of 39,414
I love emotional cables but sometimes they cry if I don't use them for a while, or listen to Stevie Wonder too often.
True story.
Last week in Music Sanctuary (Singapore) I tried a cable that was so emotional.. I left the store without him and he was still crying on the shelf.

*Not even tested with Steve Wonder

May 24, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #10,042 of 39,414

Looking forward to your prelude review!
BTW, I have a friend that just bought one, which cable would you suggest to pair it?

May 24, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #10,043 of 39,414
System is already put together with LS50W, and what a system it is! DAC's not half bad either, can easily be bettered but you won't care to until 'new toy fascination' wears off. I'm not really sure how to eek purer music out of $2k currently tbh. Maybe Airpulse Model-1 with $1k of DAC/cables tacked on? Would love to have both in same room but haven't had the chance yet. Already sent @noper LS50W cost lol. At least he'll have a negotiation advantage if he wants to pull the trigger on them someday : ) Considering KEF screwed one of my clients so hard on his pair of Blade 2's my conscience is clear! Elac Argo B51 should also be considered but in true Elac form, they are a while away to market still. Terrific dealer service tho which is directly reflected in the dealer's customer service...well hopefully : )

The hype the LS50W have garnered has equated into dollars being spent, as more LS50W have been bought blindly from us then any other speaker to date. In fact, speakers are so rarely bought without in-store audition these LS50W are freakin' leprechaun farts. They really are, and as much as I hate this phrase, a "game changer" in 2ch, as active speakers have historically been thumbed down in the hobby and for good reason as the audiophile variety really haven't been anything special until LS50W. Dynaudios were decent, but who's looking to buy just decent? How you access your music is where the you can still have your say in 'system design' with networked active speakers like these. Will you source be a DAP with optical output? Maybe NAS/Roon/Tidal? A good digital front-end is key then - media converter + lps on receiver-end works great on the cheaper end. Can go NAA route - still need quality front-end from your modem onward and better DAC than LS50W built-in would make sense. Unfortunately no coax input, so Eitr is out but even Wifi is a real world option with these as well! Even Bluetooth if you're in a pinch or for background music.

I feel ya bud, 2ch > iems here too : ) Considering the near universal derision for head/earphones in the 2ch world, we must unite!

Just to chime in and a the risk of further hi-jacking this thread, i demo'd the Ls50w's for a week, because i thought they might be quite neat solution for my office. I'd say they're a few steps from being the finished article, more from a usability point of view than sound quality. You end up with more visible cabling than you do with a traditional set up, power leads, network cable and a linking cable between the speakers. The app is clunky, you cant switch sources without swapping to the kef remote, or using the panel on the speaker top and the app's volume control is very odd, in that it doesnt audibly increase the volume until you take your finger off the slider. Sound quality is pretty good and comparable with other £1000 not £2000 speakers. Its great to see this happening at a lower price point, but even for a secondary se-up i'm going to stick with wires and multiple boxes until they've ironed out the compromises in usability and they can offer something that actually is wireless. I feel as a buyer your still paying for a prototype albeit a slickly finished and marketed one.

I admit to many biases in 2 channel. I know most back stories and companies screwing each other as well as screwing we fans and consumers. it's nasty and bad. In Pm's, I'd share if you want. In this price range there are no speakers that are powered that do what a good powered system can do. I own semi powered speakers myself. Vandersteen Quatro's have a powered bass from 100hz down. it's A/B and not Class D. I have only heard a couple of Class D amps that I personally enjoy. They are all in the 50k plus price range. The Vandersteen 1 or 2's are in the 1300 and 2500 range if I recall. They are floor standers, but will give a fuller range sound. You will get a foundation to the music. I am VERY familiar with every KEF product. I have owned them many years ago. They have a neat product in that little speaker and it has promise, but it's not quite where it should be for my ears. Again, I like it and am not bashing it at all. I just feel there are other options to listen to. I love putting smaller systems together for folks. It's a ton of fun, but we all hear differently and we all have different rooms where things will sound different in. Honestly, most systems sound better at home than in the store. Unless teh store has a dedicated room adn no other speakers in the room....lot's of variables. This is why can's can IEM"s just need a silent closet to sound their best, lol.

Emminent Technologies makes an incredible speaker in the 2k I believe. It's been around forever, but needs to be set up perfectly with great components to sound it's best. I go back to Vandy's, because you can use an inexpensive Rotel, NAD or even upgrade and get a Belles integrated in the 2k range and add your digital or better yet, vinyl source and get great sounds. It all depends on your needs, desires and set up. A few fake trees and plants with a well placed quilt on the wall and a throw run (if you have bare floors) can tame most rooms for what you are doing. It's in the system matching as well as the set up. Many less expensive speaker options NEED BETTER electronics, or they don't sing the way they are meant to. JMHO

May 24, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #10,044 of 39,414
Looking forward to your prelude review!
BTW, I have a friend that just bought one, which cable would you suggest to pair it?

The stock Linum Bax actually pairs really well with the Prelude. Technical performance (i.e. Clarity, precision and stage stability) leaves some to be desired, but it has a beautifully linear, smooth, coherent and flowing quality to it which emphasises the Prelude’s sense of balance and ease. The Ares II is fantastic for its price, giving the Prelude a blacker background, greater articulation and a more precise stage whilst maintaining much of the IEM’s natural, organic tone.

May 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #10,045 of 39,414
The stock Linum Bax actually pairs really well with the Prelude. Technical performance (i.e. Clarity, precision and stage stability) leaves some to be desired, but it has a beautifully linear, smooth, coherent and flowing quality to it which emphasises the Prelude’s sense of balance and ease. The Ares II is fantastic for its price, giving the Prelude a blacker background, greater articulation and a more precise stage whilst maintaining much of the IEM’s natural, organic tone.
Thanks,
I've been able to listen to the prelude (even if the fitting is not perfect for my ears) with the Ares and I definitely feel the darker background, personally I would prefer a cable that would give the treble a little lift, we tried the Leonidas too, but it doesn't help in this instance.

May 24, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #10,046 of 39,414
Thanks,
I've been able to listen to the prelude (even if the fitting is not perfect for my ears) with the Ares and I definitely feel the darker background, personally I would prefer a cable that would give the treble a little lift, we tried the Leonidas too, but it doesn't help in this instance.

Hmm... I'll give it a try with my PlusSound Silver+Gold and let you know how it turns out. :D

May 24, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #10,047 of 39,414
Thanks,

ALO Reference 8 achieves this. Very light and airy sound. It was my favorite with U12, bringing out the clarity that could get lost in all the warmth.

May 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #10,048 of 39,414
Sorry, but I am finally getting in some decent time to thoroughly enjoy "new toy syndrome" with my Phantom (back to 4-wire now). Nic my friend, you were right, these are the ones for me! It did require a few hours of listening and revisiting my favourite music to fully appreciate, but yeah, this is what I was looking for. They allow the music to slowly permeate my brain and stimulate the release of all the lovely endogenous opioids, giving me a delicious (and perfectly legal!) audiophile high. :D

The tonality is outstanding and even Gardiner's Beethoven No.5, which I know extremely well by now, felt like it was elevated to another level (even after the VE5/Lionheart pairing). All instruments balance out beautifully, each feels so well defined that it is like every single one was tuned as priority, even delicate instruments that only come up for a single note. Everything just works, from the thick and resonant double bass that still sits perfectly in the image of Caro Emerald's 'Acoustic Sessions', to Elin Manahan Thomas' stunningly clear and solidly defined vocals, to the damn near ethereal sparkle and twinkle of the celeste in the Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy. Sure, it is all still relatively new and exciting (only had a few hours of listening before the repair), but they tick every single box on the wish list for my 'daily drivers' and so far the Phantom live up comfortably to my sky high expectations. I did end up switching tips to get rid of some of the bite that the Final tips have in the treble.

So yeah, I think these were well worth having to buy my wife's puppy a puppy in order to settle the debt...

May 24, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #10,049 of 39,414
Sorry, but I am finally getting in some decent time to thoroughly enjoy "new toy syndrome" with my Phantom (back to 4-wire now). Nic my friend, you were right, these are the ones for me! It did require a few hours of listening and revisiting my favourite music to fully appreciate, but yeah, this is what I was looking for. They allow the music to slowly permeate my brain and stimulate the release of all the lovely endogenous opioids, giving me a delicious (and perfectly legal!) audiophile high. :D

The tonality is outstanding and even Gardiner's Beethoven No.5, which I know extremely well by now, felt like it was elevated to another level (even after the VE5/Lionheart pairing). All instruments balance out beautifully, each feels so well defined that it is like every single one was tuned as priority, even delicate instruments that only come up for a single note. Everything just works, from the thick and resonant double bass that still sits perfectly in the image of Caro Emerald's 'Acoustic Sessions', to Elin Manahan Thomas' stunningly clear and solidly defined vocals, to the damn near ethereal sparkle and twinkle of the celeste in the Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy. Sure, it is all still relatively new and exciting (only had a few hours of listening before the repair), but they tick every single box on the wish list for my 'daily drivers' and so far the Phantom live up comfortably to my sky high expectations. I did end up switching tips to get rid of some of the bite that the Final tips have in the treble.

So yeah, I think these were well worth having to buy my wife's puppy a puppy in order to settle the debt...

Great to hear, my friend! I've been missing my Phantom's since I shipped them to EE last week, but I've just received word from Ethan that they should be back within a week or two. Quality customer service as usual from EE, and that Prelude review may not be delayed for that long after all... :wink:

May 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #10,050 of 39,414
Great to hear, my friend! I've been missing my Phantom's since I shipped them to EE last week, but I've just received word from Ethan that they should be back within a week or two. Quality customer service as usual from EE, and that Prelude review may not be delayed for that long after all... :wink:
Well, let's hope FedEx couriers where you live are not as lazy as the ones in London. I had one who was so lazy that the mere thought of him doing his job (ie. walking up two flights of stairs) scared him off. So on the first day he did not see anyone at the reception and simply could not be bothered to check if anyone was home. On the second day there was someone at the reception, but she ordered him to check if I was home. Now here comes the brilliant solution he came up with to avoid the stairs... He walked up to our building, rang the bell and before I could answer turned around and ran back to the reception to claim I was not home, just so he could drop the parcel off there.

I mean... I can just see Homer Simpson tipping off his hat at the sheer laziness of this guy! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back