flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #8,176 of 39,414
Just got home from the Personal Audio Show here in Hong Kong where I got to meet Jack from Empire Ears. Had a great chat and got some Final Audio ear tips from him. Will be heading back on Sunday to get ear molds made for custom Phantom.
Also got to try the new VE...however only one out of the four adjustable sound signatures was available. According to the German rep (sorry, forgot his name), a lot has gone into the making of these earphones and hence the higher price which at this moment will be about EUR4k. The earphones were wrapped in the foil like those seen in the promo pics and the actual earphones will be unveiled at the show in Munich on 10th May.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #8,177 of 39,414
[ insert James Harden - Houston Rockets gif ]
[ insert famous brad pitt quote/gif from se7en ending ]
Hey buddy, the insert gif button is actually at the bottom right! Thought I'd help you out finding it.

insert gif.png

:D
Just got home from the Personal Audio Show here in Hong Kong where I got to meet Jack from Empire Ears. Had a great chat and got some Final Audio ear tips from him. Will be heading back on Sunday to get ear molds made for custom Phantom.
Also got to try the new VE...however only one out of the four adjustable sound signatures was available. According to the German rep (sorry, forgot his name), a lot has gone into the making of these earphones and hence the higher price which at this moment will be about EUR4k. The earphones were wrapped in the foil like those seen in the promo pics and the actual earphones will be unveiled at the show in Munich on 10th May.
Awesome!! Any brief impressions on the VE?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #8,178 of 39,414
Hey buddy, the insert gif button is actually at the bottom right!

:D

Awesome!! Any brief impressions on the VE?
To be honest, the sound tuning that was available wasn't to my liking. They seem to have less air when compared with the Phantom. The grit of distorted guitars wasn't really there...things just doesn't sound as real... However the fit was really comfortable.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #8,179 of 39,414
To be honest, the sound tuning that was available wasn't to my liking. They seem to have less air when compared with the Phantom. The grit of distorted guitars wasn't really there...things just doesn't sound as real... However the fit was really comfortable.
In other unrelated news, the Phantom has been repriced to $5500.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #8,182 of 39,414
Beautiful! I think we can all expect sound impressions to come soon... :wink:

Jia Xiang Mee's on me! Let's go! :D

Yes there will be more pics as these are just little pieces of art. Guys, their lacquer process is just sick. They do everything under a microscope unlike some companies out there. Every little bubble is burst so you have a perfect finish on them and it shows. The 3D look of the faceplate doesn't show up in a pic. It's one of those have to see it to believe it. I'm still in shock at how great they fit out of the box. They said my audiologist did a great job getting past the bends in my ear canal's as well as a full impression of my outer ear (what do we call this again? Sorry, with the MS, I have many cognitive issues and forget stuff). The impressions were done just like they asked on their site so it just works easier for them as well as me.

As for impressions, they need to burn in. I"m going to try and get a legit 100 hours on them playing various music at fairly loud levels that won't cause damage. This isn't the thread to tell me that burn in doesn't matter please. I do this as I do hear differences, especially when dealing with silver, palladium or platinum. Copper also needs it, but with the special wiring used in these as well as the Effect Audio cable that also needs burn in, I want them to be on their best behavior when I listen critically and write down everything. It also takes me a lot longer to put thoughts in order to make sense. I'd love to get a front page on the site, so I want to really go over things before putting them out.

I will however share various thoughts during burn in. Everything you have read is true. The bass hasn't started to tighten up yet, however it's still worlds better to my ears than what I heard at Canjam with other's IEM's. Part of this could easily be that the CIEM's are just giving the proper fit adn angle to listen to. The highs are very extended and just so natural. The word Natural is the first thing that comes to mind when I put on some James Taylor and then some Ricky Lee Jones (the original recording of Pop Pop). I use a lot of male vocals for the mid to lower mids as I want to know if it will give me a true chest voice and will I get that decay of the note. The female voices I listen to give me the true mids. Will I get that emotion and delicacy of what they are singing. How veiled will they be? These are not veiled much at all. Let's see if burn in uncovers the last few veils.

I LOVE the music on Jazz at the Pawn Shop. It's a 1940's recording from Sweden and you can hear the clinking of the glasses and smell the smoke in the room as you listen to the piano and other instruments. Just a wonderful recording and difficult for so many 2 channel systems to reproduce properly, let alone a CIEM. I will need to get the correct 'color' of the sound in this one or it's not going to pass the test for me.

Another MUST listen to record is the audiophile recording of Sheffield Records Drum and track record. It's fun to listen to and it originally was used by many of us to set up our turntable arms and cartridges. If you have ever tried to set up a TT from attaching the motor board, the arm board, the plinth to these and then the arm and cartridge, you appreciate things like this record along with the digital devices that finally came out for the tracking forces, azimuth etc.. I could relearn to do this if my life depended on it, but I forget half of what we used to do, lol. I do however, listen for fun to this track record.

Ron Tutt's drum improv is sensational. I was a drummer and know how he packed his bass drum on this recording. So far he's spot on with the Phantom's. I'd die to get a pair of Legend X in that is burned in, just for this record, lol! There are a few minor details off the top of my head with just one play through, but let's see how it will play out once burned in. What really has struck me is the sound stage and also the imaging within the depth and width of the stage. There is a cut by Sinade O'Connor on Two Rooms (covers of Elton John hits) singing Sacrifice. If any of you like Elton John, this and Live from Austrailia are a must listen. Sacrifice was recorded in a cathedral if I recall correctly. All I know is that on my 2 channel system that is very high end, this song gives me not just width and depth, but also HIGHT like you often won't get in a recording. It was masterfully done and I quickly put it on to give the Phantom a whirl. I was floored that an IEM could give me what it did and it should only get better.

What strikes me so far is that the vocals are in-between the speakers if you would. They may be a spec behind them, but I can't fully tell yet as each recording is different. I need to play things that I know how they were recorded (I knew a few folks who were in the venue when recordings were done. I'll call my buddy Joe in Houston to verify some stuff (he owns a high end 2 channel store there and was a producer etc...), but it's nice to have an idea of how things were put down to see how accurate things are.

That's a lot to for just a under 48 hours with them, but so far they are so much better than others I auditioned before putting my good money down on a CIEM. So far, I can see what all the Buzz is about. I will be selling my ZMF Ori's with the top of the line Audio Arts 15' cable as these are better and so much more comfy and easier to use, plus they are portable. Maybe my daughter will want my Noble Savant's. I already bought my wife a pair of universal Bravado's so that I can also listen to them. :wink:.....

Daniel, congrats and enjoy.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #8,183 of 39,414
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #8,184 of 39,414
Awesome! Now stop teasing and open the darn box! :p

Pics and impressions to come soon. :p

[ insert famous brad pitt quote/gif from se7en ending ]

Trust me, I was very tempted. :wink:

Yes there will be more pics as these are just little pieces of art. Guys, their lacquer process is just sick. They do everything under a microscope unlike some companies out there. Every little bubble is burst so you have a perfect finish on them and it shows. The 3D look of the faceplate doesn't show up in a pic. It's one of those have to see it to believe it. I'm still in shock at how great they fit out of the box. They said my audiologist did a great job getting past the bends in my ear canal's as well as a full impression of my outer ear (what do we call this again? Sorry, with the MS, I have many cognitive issues and forget stuff). The impressions were done just like they asked on their site so it just works easier for them as well as me.

As for impressions, they need to burn in. I"m going to try and get a legit 100 hours on them playing various music at fairly loud levels that won't cause damage. This isn't the thread to tell me that burn in doesn't matter please. I do this as I do hear differences, especially when dealing with silver, palladium or platinum. Copper also needs it, but with the special wiring used in these as well as the Effect Audio cable that also needs burn in, I want them to be on their best behavior when I listen critically and write down everything. It also takes me a lot longer to put thoughts in order to make sense. I'd love to get a front page on the site, so I want to really go over things before putting them out.

I will however share various thoughts during burn in. Everything you have read is true. The bass hasn't started to tighten up yet, however it's still worlds better to my ears than what I heard at Canjam with other's IEM's. Part of this could easily be that the CIEM's are just giving the proper fit adn angle to listen to. The highs are very extended and just so natural. The word Natural is the first thing that comes to mind when I put on some James Taylor and then some Ricky Lee Jones (the original recording of Pop Pop). I use a lot of male vocals for the mid to lower mids as I want to know if it will give me a true chest voice and will I get that decay of the note. The female voices I listen to give me the true mids. Will I get that emotion and delicacy of what they are singing. How veiled will they be? These are not veiled much at all. Let's see if burn in uncovers the last few veils.

I LOVE the music on Jazz at the Pawn Shop. It's a 1940's recording from Sweden and you can hear the clinking of the glasses and smell the smoke in the room as you listen to the piano and other instruments. Just a wonderful recording and difficult for so many 2 channel systems to reproduce properly, let alone a CIEM. I will need to get the correct 'color' of the sound in this one or it's not going to pass the test for me.

Another MUST listen to record is the audiophile recording of Sheffield Records Drum and track record. It's fun to listen to and it originally was used by many of us to set up our turntable arms and cartridges. If you have ever tried to set up a TT from attaching the motor board, the arm board, the plinth to these and then the arm and cartridge, you appreciate things like this record along with the digital devices that finally came out for the tracking forces, azimuth etc.. I could relearn to do this if my life depended on it, but I forget half of what we used to do, lol. I do however, listen for fun to this track record.

Ron Tutt's drum improv is sensational. I was a drummer and know how he packed his bass drum on this recording. So far he's spot on with the Phantom's. I'd die to get a pair of Legend X in that is burned in, just for this record, lol! There are a few minor details off the top of my head with just one play through, but let's see how it will play out once burned in. What really has struck me is the sound stage and also the imaging within the depth and width of the stage. There is a cut by Sinade O'Connor on Two Rooms (covers of Elton John hits) singing Sacrifice. If any of you like Elton John, this and Live from Austrailia are a must listen. Sacrifice was recorded in a cathedral if I recall correctly. All I know is that on my 2 channel system that is very high end, this song gives me not just width and depth, but also HIGHT like you often won't get in a recording. It was masterfully done and I quickly put it on to give the Phantom a whirl. I was floored that an IEM could give me what it did and it should only get better.

What strikes me so far is that the vocals are in-between the speakers if you would. They may be a spec behind them, but I can't fully tell yet as each recording is different. I need to play things that I know how they were recorded (I knew a few folks who were in the venue when recordings were done. I'll call my buddy Joe in Houston to verify some stuff (he owns a high end 2 channel store there and was a producer etc...), but it's nice to have an idea of how things were put down to see how accurate things are.

That's a lot to for just a under 48 hours with them, but so far they are so much better than others I auditioned before putting my good money down on a CIEM. So far, I can see what all the Buzz is about. I will be selling my ZMF Ori's with the top of the line Audio Arts 15' cable as these are better and so much more comfy and easier to use, plus they are portable. Maybe my daughter will want my Noble Savant's. I already bought my wife a pair of universal Bravado's so that I can also listen to them. :wink:.....

Daniel, congrats and enjoy.

Glad to see you so passionate about the Phantom’s, man! :D I love Jazz at the Pawnshop as well; inspiring to hear records so beautifully produced made decades ago - both as a listener and a producer. Enjoy man, I’ll share my first impressions in a day or two. :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #8,185 of 39,414

Trust me, I was very tempted. :wink:

Glad to see you so passionate about the Phantom’s, man! :D I love Jazz at the Pawnshop as well; inspiring to hear records so beautifully produced made decades ago - both as a listener and a producer. Enjoy man, I’ll share my first impressions in a day or two. :)

Very cool man! I'll try my best to share what I'm listening to and what I hear on my home system and then how I feel the Phantom portrayed things. Daniel, are you also a Blue Note guy? I have a good friend, Billy Drummond, who is an outstanding Jazz drummer and he teaches at Juilliard in NYC. You can stream his stuff on Tidal. I will also try and share the resolution of my recordings as a lot of my stuff is 24/1992 or 364 DSD which is very musical and warm. All of the high res stuff is from a buddy who used well recorded songs for his shows. He makes one of the top DAC's in the world at any price and is making a headphone amp as he and I speak about this community often. I'll try adn get him to start posting, lol.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #8,186 of 39,414
Oh you big tease! :sweat_smile:
I love Jazz at the Pawnshop as well; inspiring to hear records so beautifully produced made decades ago - both as a listener and a producer.
Never heard of it so I YouTubed it quickly and now it is on my shopping list! Always good to find great new albums to add to the collection. Thanks! To @ctsooner22 as well!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #8,187 of 39,414
Great! When can we expect an Opera album? :grinning:
Actually, I have very big plans.

phantom-main.jpg

OK I know this is getting silly, last one to get it out of my system I promise since it is actually true :D Last night I listened to these over at Hifi Solutions:

devialet-phantom-silver-wireless-speaker.jpg

Attachments

• Devialet-Silver-Phantom.jpg
    Devialet-Silver-Phantom.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • devialet-hwz-2.jpg
    devialet-hwz-2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #8,188 of 39,414
Guys, I have been given a lot of audiophile recordings over the years. Here are links to Ron Tutt and Jim Keltners drumming:

I'll probably also use Neil's Lofgren Keith Don't Go as I have a GREAT high res recording of it.

Dire Straights Alchemy is a double album from 84. It was recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon in London. Two GREAT songs to critically listen to as well as enjoy are Private Investigations and Telegraph Road (try adn find the high res recordings if you can). The whole album is a treat, but man these two songs are hard to reproduce. Even on a great two channel system the highs will screech and the upper bass will be flabby as heck if not done correctly. I don't know how good the lesser priced DAP's will do on these recordings as they are unforgiving to say the least, lol. I literally can't listen to this album on a pair of older Wilson speakers or newer Magico's or B&W Diamond speakers. They make my ears bleed (same wiht the Paradigm 9H's).

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #8,189 of 39,414
Actually, I have very big plans.

OK I know this is getting silly, last one to get it out of my system I promise since it is actually true :D Last night I listened to these over at Hifi Solutions:

``
My favorite show of all time. Over the years, I've seen it in London, NYC, Toronto, Hartford, Chicago, LA and a few others places, lol. Never disappoints. He wrote this play for his freak of a GF, Sara Brighten. She was considered one of the great soprano's of her time. Her part was of course Christine Daae. If you Google her solo album, Dive, you will find that her first venture into pop was basically about her fun sex life. I would have loved to have met her when I was single and young, lmao. I actually enjoy the music as well as the lyrics.....Here is a sample of my favorite song on this album:

Let me dive in
To pools of sin
Wet black leather on my skin
Show me the floor
Lay down the law
I need to taste you more

Refrain:
Then I feel your sea
Raining down on me
Can this be my once in a lifetime
Hell's at heaven's door
As I need you more
You know you're my once in a lifetime

Oh, she's pretty hot or was....:wink:. Play this on your Sony, AK or Hugo 2.....how's your Mojo doing? (hope I have not offended anyone and if so, sorry, just trying to share and have fun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back