flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,146 of 39,414
With all the 2 cents shared here we will soon be able to get 5000$ and buy the new VE iem.
Well, they do say it takes a village....

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #8,147 of 39,414
UE 18+ Pro

UE.jpg

Finally, was able to listen to them after busy schedule. Did a 10hr break-in before I made my listening sessions.
Finding the right ciem/iem for me took so many years. After having auditioned and owning some TOTL iems and HPs I did find what I was looking for in the 18+, but of course nothing is perfect. Now, I'm a believer, more drivers doesn't always mean the better.
What I did like on these, is that they sound so spacious and open to my ears. the bass have the right amount of quantity for me. Not too much and not too soft. At times, depending on the song it gives me a lot of bass and rumble. Mid bass have the right amount of punch but won't give me more which is fine for me. Mids are the highlight to me, I always wanted a very very natural sounding vocals(which I find on DDs, fx700, 1+2 & ex1000) without sounding too distant and too forward and not mid centric. Sometimes depending on the song setting or mix, the vocals would be a bit distant or forward (not too forward). I hear a lot of micro details in the vocals which I didn't hear before even on high end HPs. The vocals really sound like the're coming out of the throat and from the diaphragm and best of all, the layering on the tones of the vocals. I could tell if the artist is raising its vocals or playing with it. This kind of details is what I was looking for as they make it sound really natural to me. Every song sounds like the vocals are being performed live, warm but not overly so. I feel like I want to test this on a tube amp to make the vocals sound more romantic and emotional. the highs on this reminds me of the Focal Utopia, correct me if I'm wrong but they sound really alike and identical to me. The highs on these has lot of extension but not much spark. I am lucky that this never sounded sibilant on any of my flawed tracks. Nitpicking, one gripe would be the high mids, sometimes left me wanting a bit more but I understand maybe they tuned it this way to be fatigue free and it is. The presentation is just about right to my ears, one thing that did catch my attention was the focus on the instruments without being analytical. I was looking for this kind of sound. No, they are not too mid forward but enough to be upfront, it is very impressive on how they present the instruments to my ears like they are being played next to me and close. For that, I even feel more the dynamics of the instruments adding to the emotions of the song.
I had issues with the mids of to go 334, 335, lcd 3 as the vocals sound too much in my face giving me the feeling of being choked. With 18+ tbh, this was my first time to hear a very natural sounding vocal out of a BA. Over the past, the JH13FP was close but not enough, as it sounded sibilant to me that killed it. Was impressed by the bass on the Roxannes but that's just it. I also did like the Layla ll but still did not fulfill me and was also sibilant. the U18 sounded very impressive and fast for me, full of dynamics, but still something was missing. I almost lost hope of finding the right one for me after so many years of search. So I went back to my Sony MDR EX1000. This to me has a very nice tonality and natural sounding vocals and bass. Until, I was able to accidentally audition the demo of 18+ in Jaben and then surprised me, auditioned the UERR first and i was impressed and thinking of pulling the trigger but my gripe was the soundstage and then I turned to the 18+ and everything changed there.
But still, I would like to audition someday the Phantom and legend X.
Hope you all appreciate my impressions.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #8,148 of 39,414
I just decided the next great iem needs to be bacon scented! I must be hungry.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #8,150 of 39,414
@Deezel177 and @ranfan , alas I won't be able to make it to Canjam SG. Would have loved to meet and spend time with you guys. Hopefully next year. Time really flies at these shows, but in case you have some time to spare, could you please try the Phantom and let me know how it sounds?

Oh, btw, the Phantom I am referring to here is a desktop tube amp from Phat Labs :wink: It will be at the Jaben table. No issues if you are not able to, as the amp costs $4K and I don't see myself buying one in the foreseeable future. But I have heard great things about Phat Labs amps in the past. So I'd love to know your thoughts on this one.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #8,151 of 39,414
@Deezel177 and @ranfan , alas I won't be able to make it to Canjam SG. Would have loved to meet and spend time with you guys. Hopefully next year. Time really flies at these shows, but in case you have some time to spare, could you please try the Phantom and let me know how it sounds?

Oh, btw, the Phantom I am referring to here is a desktop tube amp from Phat Labs :wink: It will be at the Jaben table. No issues if you are not able to, as the amp costs $4K and I don't see myself buying one in the foreseeable future. But I have heard great things about Phat Labs amps in the past. So I'd love to know your thoughts on this one.

Ahh, what a shame. It's alright, we still have years ahead of us; God-willing. :) I'll be there a week before CanJam, so I'll see if I can sneak a demo at Jaben's retail store before the show. In fact, I can probably let you know what a Phantom driving a Phantom sounds like. :D

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #8,152 of 39,414
Ahh, what a shame. It's alright, we still have years ahead of us; God-willing. :) I'll be there a week before CanJam, so I'll see if I can sneak a demo at Jaben's retail store before the show. In fact, I can probably let you know what a Phantom driving a Phantom sounds like. :D

Yea, its a small world. You'll never know. :)

Thanks man, really appreciate it. If only there was a DAC named Phantom to complete the chain. But I did read somewhere that, the amp doesn't play well with IEMs, as it is quite powerful and has a high Output Impedance. So I'd advise caution when plugging in your Phantom.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,153 of 39,414
With all the 2 cents shared here we will soon be able to get 5000$ and buy the new VE iem.

Is it already on Sale? I thought the original price is closer to $5.2k :wink:

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #8,154 of 39,414
1F967B03-3225-4FA0-89CD-32CB9DAFCB1A.jpeg
6A137E94-2E58-4E13-9A58-9D9E5F6C252D.jpeg

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #8,155 of 39,414

What, no Jia Xiang Mee together? Aw, that's too bad. Yes, please let's hope next year we can. For sure, I'll try to find the Phantom hear how it sounds. Will let you know. :thumbsup: Safe trip back to US, Eagle.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #8,156 of 39,414
I’m on my phone and don’t know how to type and post pictures at the same time, sorry. OK the Phantom is in the house. I’m in love with the perfect fit and finish. It’s the best I’ve seen. I’m absolutely blown away at the perfect fit I have in my ears and how comfortable they are. It’s my first CIEM, so I was a little concerned, but now so happy I went this way. I’ve yet to hear a Phantom fully broken in and very few people really have. I have initial impressions which are all extremely positive, but I know how much better they’re going to get. I have them burning them in on a constant loop on my AK 380cu. I will be doing all my reviewing on my Ayre QX5 DAC as well as the AK. unit

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #8,157 of 39,414

Beautiful! I think we can all expect sound impressions to come soon... :wink:

What, no Jia Xiang Mee together? Aw, that's too bad. Yes, please let's hope next year we can. For sure, I'll try to find the Phantom hear how it sounds. Will let you know. :thumbsup: Safe trip back to US, Eagle.

Jia Xiang Mee's on me! Let's go! :D

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #8,158 of 39,414

Yea bud, sorry about that. But I’ll be there with you guys in spirit. Thanks man :) Looking forward to pictures and impressions from you guys about all the cool gear.

Jia Xiang Mee's on me! Let's go! :D

Lol. Dude, I haven’t seen you get this excited even about IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back