flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #796 of 39,414
Hello everybody, apologies for my recent absence on the thread and pm.

I tend to take breaks from Head-Fi now and then when I need to focus on work. I’ve currently entered a phase where I need to be creative and productive at work, as well as in my free time for these reviews. Since I'm blessed with less space in my head than I would have liked, it’s become a case where I have to pick 2 out of 3 between Head-Fi, work, and the reviewing, so I’ve decided to take a step back from Head-Fi for the time being and will not be here so frequent anymore. But I'll make sure to answer all questions. 

But it hasn't all been for nothing, as I've written 14 reviews so far excluding comparisons. Each one still needs to be rewritten (a couple of times usually), and I have to write the comparisons and make the presentation image, so they still require a lot of work. However, I’m fairly confident I’ll be able to post one steadily every week when the shootout starts.

I have received all iems except the 1964 A18, and I’m not sure when it will come since I’m waiting to hear something back. Assuming it arrives this month, I’ll be able to start the shootout on the first weekend of April. So I suggest predictions can be made until 20 March so we can close that book and give Proedros a rest.

Some updates:
  1. I initially thought of doing 4 comparisons, but that turned out to be an endless repetition, so I’m now deciding between 2 or 3, most likely 3.
  2. I mentioned that I would score without the cable, but that is just plain silly and not practical or helpful as an accurate representation (also in comparisons etc.). So what I’ll do instead is provide a brief description of the cable in a few lines.
  3. Before the shootout starts I will probably post an update on the scoring, specifically since midrange and upper midrange are now separate.
  4. I’m also still thinking of ways to improve the 3D image to more accurately display its presentation; for instance, I’m thinking of manipulating the vocal density and size separately, as well as the airiness of the stage. If it works out as what I have in mind it should be more helpful, but I'm not necessarily the most handy in these things.

So for now there’s not much to share, but if all goes well we should be able to start this in about 3 weeks; and more importantly, we’ll finish a lot quicker then I initially anticipated.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #797 of 39,414
  no, i meant which katana? universal or custom?

Katana is universal.

@flinkenick  would like to know more on how the actual comparison will be made. You have written about criteria , hardware etc but not much about listening experience?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking?

Nic, try to convince Audeze to give you an iSine LCD-i3 for the shootout x-D as an appendix 
basshead.gif

beerchug.gif
 hope to see ya at CJ again

I''ll probably take a break from iem reviewing after this lol, but who knows after
smily_headphones1.gif
 Hope to see you there if we both make it!

Nic, I enjoyed reading your brief impression on the Dream. Of particular are two phrases "linearity within the frequency range" and "linear relationship between treble, mid and bass..." caused me thinking a bit. Is music linear in nature? Or is music discrete, independent, and non linear, one with another like chaos theory. It goes without saying frequency range is linear as 20 hertz is two times of 10 hertz, and 40 hertz is two times of 20 hertz in a Gaussian manner, but that applies to any iems or any musical instruments. What I am reasoning with myself is the behavior of music or frequency, should the behavior of bass predict the behavior of treble? Is there any linear relationship between them? Isn't some of the greatest accomplishment in music is the unpredictability from movement to movement? Human brain wave is certainly nonlinear and we get bored with linearity really fast. Just some thoughts from reading your take on the Dream.

I can see how this might warrant some further explanation.. The Dream is tuned with a significantly enhanced bass presentation, followed by a relatively linear midrange tuning up until an upper midrange peak around 5-6 KHz. With "linearity within the frequency range" I was referring to the intended tuning of Dita; it's tuned with a 'reference' oriented sound (except for the bass, which is closer to Vega than neutral). It also refers to the tuning of the midrange specifically, which is fairly linear save a bump around 1 KHz I think.

With "the linear relationship between bass, mids, and treble" on the other hand I'm not referring to frequencies, but the relative note size within the presentation. BA iems are commonly tuned with bump in the midrange around 1 Khz (e.g. S-EM9/NT6pro) or 2-3 Khz (e.g. 5-Way/Zeus/W900), followed by an upper midrange dip and lower treble peak. As a result, the vocal presentation is brought slightly forward, with some added body/density. And because of the upper midrange dip, instruments are relatively smaller in size compared to the vocal. Due to the Dream's upper bass and upper midrange tuning, instruments are full-bodied in size, becoming equal in their relationship to the vocal which in turn is not enhanced, while the powerful sub-bass is also grand in size. So what you get is a fairly even size between vocals vs instruments in the presentation, which is quite different and unique compared to the more 'common' tuning of BA iems. This is what I mean with that the Dream doesn't discriminate between instruments or vocals, where normally there is a vocal emphasis. Vega also has this effect to some extent, although Vega has an even richer upper bass I think, I'll compare at some point.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #801 of 39,414
What methodology you will be using? Are you going to review each iem on its individual or you will be comparing them to each other, is so how?

Oh you mean like the basic format? A full review of each iem, including probably 3 detailed comparisons.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #802 of 39,414
Sorry for the cross post if anyone is following the Jomo thread. Wondering if anyone is able to comment on the size, shape, and imaging of the soundstage of the Samba compared to it03, andro, or any 64 Audio u series iems (u4, u5, u6, u12)?

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #803 of 39,414
I haven't listened to Andro for quite a while but I think its stage is slightly wider. It has significantly more width than depth, with good height. In general it has a more forward stage positioning with thicker notes. Samba has more of a cube-sized stage with even proportions in width, depth and height. But because of its impressive background blackness, precise imaging, and leaner note structure, its separation is cleaner. Haven't heard the rest.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #804 of 39,414
I haven't listened to Andro for quite a while but I think its stage is slightly wider. It has significantly more width than depth, with good height. In general it has a more forward stage positioning with thicker notes. Samba has more of a cube-sized stage with even proportions in width, depth and height. But because of its impressive background blackness, precise imaging, and leaner note structure, its separation is cleaner. Haven't heard the rest.

How is Samba for hissing? I have a Cayin i5 and ARM20 - I do get some hissing on my it03 on them.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #806 of 39,414
I can try with the LPG when I get home in an hour. But I'm not the most reliable person to ask about hiss 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks mate. Reading your review of the Samba really makes me think it fits what I am looking for. I would need to get the universal version though, so hopefully subbass will not be less on that than custom.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #807 of 39,414

Thanks mate. Reading your review of the Samba really makes me think it fits what I am looking for. I would need to get the universal version though, so hopefully subbass will not be less on that than custom.

Thanks :) I checked hiss with the LPG and it's nowhere near bothersome, maybe half the level of Zeus. But if you're sensitive to hiss I'd double check with someone else as I am extremely hiss tolerant. 

Two things about my original Samba review I need to amend: first of all, Samba's bass is tight and controlled, but it's still very much a BA bass. Its impact is more enhanced than neutral, but its still nowhere near basshead level in terms of sub-bass, especially when you compare to some dynamic drivers. Second of all, I recently realised that my perception of the stage dimensions in terms of actual size was somewhat inflated. I think this might be partially because I received the AK380 the same week I was writing the review, and its stage is vastly larger than the LPG so it might have messed up my frame of reference at the time.

But in general I've noticed my perspective on almost every iem has changed over time. After every new iem I hear and break down in analysis, I learn new new things and see past things differently. Reference points for accuracy and tonality evolve, adapting to a new framework. That's why I’ve written each review from the bottom up, even reviews I’d only written a few months before. I’d reread them and think ‘this is definitely not right.’

Anyways, as much as I hate to publicly admit personal error, it's better to set it right :) So I'll give a preview of the Samba 2.0 review, at least concerning these issues.

The Samba has a very special stage. It’s a relatively standard cube-sized stage, and its dimensions are not overly large. But as the stage is almost clinically clean and its background blackness so impressive, it tricks you into thinking it’s much larger than it is. Add pinpoint precise imaging, and it doesn’t need be the largest to still be one of the most holographic. Because of its high resolution and clean space, the presentation is incredibly precise and highly focused – a master class in separation. 

Much like the NT6pro, the Samba is an ambassador of BA-driven technology. It represents everything what is right about BA drivers: speed and precision. It starts from the ground up, the bass. Generally speaking, the speed of the bass plays an important role in determining the overall pace and rhythm of the music. Regardless if it’s from BA or DD drivers, an enhanced bass presentation can sound powerful, but usually tends to lag the music. The Samba’s bass represents the virtues of BA-driven bass; its attack is quick, as is its decay. It doesn’t reach overly deep or hit as hard as some dynamic drivers, it’s still very much a fun bass.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #809 of 39,414
@flinkenick
 - Hey Nic what are your impressions of the deca with the new bass tuning?

Hey Bob. Due to a slight lift in the mid-bass the tone of the midrange is slightly warmer, and vocals are a bit fuller. It has a very natural slightly warmish tone, comparable to UE18+ and Aether. 'OG' Deca on the other hand has a but purer, more transparent upper midrange as it is less warm. So instruments like violins and acoustic guitars have a bit more sweetness to them, where new Deca sounds a bit fuller and smoother, and has an improved vocal presentation especially male vocals. But naturally they're both still very similar.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #810 of 39,414
Looking forward to the results of this epic shootout with some serious interest!

My predicitons (if it's still OK to place them):

-Campfire Vega (1st)
-Empire Ears Zeus-XR ADEL (2nd)
Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 (3rd)
-Warbler Prelude (4th)
-EarSonics S-EM9 (5th)

Good luck everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back