flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #5,477 of 39,414
Yes, it surprised me a bit too. Had not expected such high-end models. Would have been great to see mid-tier ones, but at least it is great to see the tia tech trickling down now!

True; Tia tech has indeed trickled down from the tree-tops to the jungle canopy, and I'm still down here waiting on the forest floor. :D

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #5,479 of 39,414
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #5,480 of 39,414
Oct 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #5,481 of 39,414
Yes, it surprised me a bit too. Had not expected such high-end models. Would have been great to see mid-tier ones, but at least it is great to see the tia tech trickling down now!
They brought it 1 Tier down : ) At this point, those who are planning to get the A12 would hope it price of the A12 will stay the same

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #5,482 of 39,414
busted.PNG
Heh, thank you Video Title Adder extension :ksc75smile:

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #5,483 of 39,414
Thank you for subscribing to Audiophile 100% snake oil true facts

Today: Did you know that the driver wars are over?! Read more in our column here: www.thecustomart.com/blog/fun-facts-1-driver-wars/
I was planning on posting that my only wish for this thread, is that out of respect for me people would occasionally still rickroll each other :D

Saw on John Oliver last Sunday that a hacker used Rick to make a point in the Equifax credit scandal (ff to 8.30), brought a smile to my face.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #5,484 of 39,414
Hi Flinkenick, that was a great review of the mod to the 1Z. However, it seems like you did not spend the time listening in the balanced mode, where a lot of the strengths of the 1Z lay.
I was frustrated in SE but know that I have converted my Weston, and waiting to receive my IE800 conversion, I think I'm set.
Hi buddy,

I apologise if I came across a bit negative towards the 1Z in my post. The 1Z is without a doubt a fantastic player as is, competing only with the AK's in a tier of their own. What I respect about it most, is that they went for a true 'audiophile' signature focusing on timbre, similar to the philosophy from which the 5-Way was tuned for instance. But much like the 5-Way, I find its warm tuning also limits its versatility. However, my main issue was an aspect of its performance. But keep in mind that everything is relative. If someone has either Zeus, A18 or 5-Way, it is hard to find faults with them. It's when you compare them, that they each have relative shortcomings and strengths. My main player has been the RW AK380cu for the last year, so naturally it is my point of reference when I listen to the 1Z. So yes, when I listened to the 1Z I exclusively listened to its balanced output. However, I still preferred the AK in single end; but of course, this just comes down to preference.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #5,486 of 39,414
I was planning on posting that my only wish for this thread, is that out of respect for me people would occasionally still rickroll each other :D

Saw on John Oliver last Sunday that a hacker used Rick to make a point in the Equifax credit scandal (ff to 8.30), brought a smile to my face.

Hey! you challenged me to do it, few pages back, saw an opportunity, I took it :joy:

I'm huge fan of John Oliver. The equifax one was cool episode :D

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #5,487 of 39,414
Hi buddy,

I apologise if I came across a bit negative towards the 1Z in my post. The 1Z is without a doubt a fantastic player as is, competing only with the AK's in a tier of their own. What I respect about it most, is that they went for a true 'audiophile' signature focusing on timbre, similar to the philosophy from which the 5-Way was tuned for instance. But much like the 5-Way, I find its warm tuning also limits its versatility. However, my main issue was an aspect of its performance. But keep in mind that everything is relative. If someone has either Zeus, A18 or 5-Way, it is hard to find faults with them. It's when you compare them, that they each have relative shortcomings and strengths. My main player has been the RW AK380cu for the last year, so naturally it is my point of reference when I listen to the 1Z. So yes, when I listened to the 1Z I exclusively listened to its balanced output. However, I still preferred the AK in single end; but of course, this just comes down to preference.

If I may, it is also important to add that any opinion of "Nic" should be taken with a grain of salt because he is not a "person" per se. The concept called "Nic" is actually a room full of monkeys on meth who's synapses are plugged into a quantum powered AI. It is quite sophisticated but some glitches just give it away.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #5,488 of 39,414
If I may, it is also important to add that any opinion of "Nic" should be taken with a grain of salt because he is not a "person" per say. The concept called "Nic" is actually a room full of monkeys on meth who's synapses are plugged into a quantum powered AI. It is quite sophisticated but some glitches just give it away.

That explain everything!!

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #5,490 of 39,414
Isn't the Tia Forte $3599 (it IS according to the web site). I guess that isn't $4000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back