flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #4,711 of 39,414
So I've been demoing the Hugo2. One of the biggest frustrations with the Mojo is that with my S8E, the only app that can send it audio is UAPP via it's proprietary driver. Now I can finally run bandcamp to a Chord device again (Mojo worked fine with S7E). This is a huge selling point for me. A18 and Zeus pair magnificently with hugo2. Incredible sounding device, it's going to be very difficult to let this go and know what I'm missing now. In a very real sense, I wish I'd never heard it before. I am very tempted to sell a ton of stuff and put all that toward Hugo2. Now if only Chord had B stock!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #4,712 of 39,414
never try stuff you can not afford - always pick the poison within your budget :jecklinsmile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4,713 of 39,414
never try stuff you can not afford - always pick the poison within your budget :jecklinsmile:

If I could pickup a used demo unit of Hugo2 or just a used unit for $1500-$1800 I'd jump on it right now. Maybe after Hugo3 comes out the prices will be that cheap in the for sale section.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #4,714 of 39,414
so zeus xr scales well with better sources , right ?

i try not to think about it a lot and just be happy with my wm1a in balanced mode

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #4,716 of 39,414

i try not to think about it a lot and just be happy with my wm1a in balanced mode

The Zeus-XR out of the Hugo 2 is a beast. It hisses, of course, but it has some of the most precise and accurate imaging I've ever heard out of an IEM, ever.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #4,717 of 39,414
If I could pickup a used demo unit of Hugo2 or just a used unit for $1500-$1800 I'd jump on it right now. Maybe after Hugo3 comes out the prices will be that cheap in the for sale section.
But then you'll get a chance to listen to Hugo 3 and want to wait for prices on that to drop... and by then Chord will price it at least at $3500 so that it doesn't lose the price wars with AK. Maybe $4k so it's a few steps ahead. Best start saving up today :sweat_smile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #4,719 of 39,414
Just some thoughts.

I find that this hobby is about instant or short term gratification at the instant you get the newest better thing. After that your ears adjust to the sound, and really noticibility of the quality of the setup is when your ears are not used to the sig, switched from another earphone or source, or haven't listened to it in awhile.

Our brains adjust and things becomes pretty insignificant as we are constantly exposed to the sensory object. You can listen to crap sounding earphones and your ears adjust over time(although the earphones handed out by airlines can never be adjusted as they are the worst kinds).

I guess somewhat similar to wine hobby, but different.

I will say this though. Tech is getting better in this hobby.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #4,720 of 39,414

You say that, but I see someone eyeing a modded WM1Z... :D

Its getting closer... Sneaking up on you... :p
tenor.gif

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #4,721 of 39,414
axxaaxaxaxaxaxaxa i am officially addicted to @Wyville gif puppies

bring more

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,723 of 39,414
Just some thoughts.

I find that this hobby is about instant or short term gratification at the instant you get the newest better thing. After that your ears adjust to the sound, and really noticibility of the quality of the setup is when your ears are not used to the sig, switched from another earphone or source, or haven't listened to it in awhile.

Our brains adjust and things becomes pretty insignificant as we are constantly exposed to the sensory object. You can listen to crap sounding earphones and your ears adjust over time(although the earphones handed out by airlines can never be adjusted as they are the worst kinds).

I guess somewhat similar to wine hobby, but different.

I will say this though. Tech is getting better in this hobby.
+1
after you get used to it, its more the knowledge you have good gear

for me even after a short 30 min I take it for granted

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,724 of 39,414
+1
after you get used to it, its more the knowledge you have good gear

for me even after a short 30 min I take it for granted

Im the opposite, I am continuously wowed by my A18's and Zeus XR's as well as Hugo2 and Mojo. IT doesn't get old for me, maybe it's because I am a stereophile first and not an audiophile first.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back