flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 27, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #38,747 of 39,419
I brought up age because the last line in your previous post literally mentioned my age: "maybe later down the road , now you are a young pup with hormones blazing , enjoy it :xf_cool:" I'm aware it can be meant in jest, but, combined with the line I'm quoting now, it really comes off like one of those generalisations I've also seen in other mediums of art, like:

"Oh, today's generation all have ADHD. All they like are Marvel movies with CGI and explosions. They couldn't possibly appreciate classics like Casablanca or The Godfather!"

Or...

"Hah! Today's generation wouldn't be caught dead reading a paperback novel. The most they can read are texts and emojis!"

You know what I mean? When someone tells you you possibly couldn't appreciate X if you like Y, or you’ll only like X when you grow up, it's hard not to feel like you're being viewed as a close-minded child. It's like you're saying, "Look, I know your tastes better than you do, and don't worry, kid. Once you grow out of that loud, banging music for people with ADHD, you'll finally be able to appreciate the real art." I don't know what to call that other than elitism, if I'm honest. You’re basically saying we might as well stop making music altogether if the best of it was already made in the 1980's.

In fact, that’s what a ton of people said when the blues wave started in the 50’s, or rock n’ roll in the 60’s, or grunge in the 2000’s, and so on. Today, hundreds of thousands of people come out to see John Mayer play blues with his trio, and we have a literal Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame! If the artists of that era shared the same thoughts you did, we wouldn’t have the music you (and a lot of other people, myself included) adore to this day.

I agree with that completely, completely completely, which is why I have made the effort to study the music that’s come before me in college, I have spent hours on YouTube studying the styles, grooves and recording techniques of the past, and I have checked out a lot of the tracks you and many others have recommended on the forums.

My question to you is, have you shown that same respect to my generation? Have you yourself practiced what you’ve just preached right there? Because, when we had this exact conversation months ago, and I recommended music of today that I felt were quality, you replied minutes later with, “Sure, there maybe lots of 8/10 bands out there, but they’ll never compare to the bands I listened to.” Did you even give them a chance before you wrote that? Where’s your wisdom to know when to be taught there? You just did it again by completely brushing aside the tracks I recommended today.

And, believe me, if you did give them a listen and still preferred your music, then that’s perfectly fine. No one is forcing you to like today’s music. But, how can you expect us to respect your opinions and the music you like, if you’re completely disrespecting ours? If your ultimate goal, as you said, is to “teach,” isn’t the first lesson in Teaching 101 to respect and look through the eyes of your students?

There’s a huge difference between:

“Hey, man, nice tunes! It reminds me of this band I listened to when I was your age. You should check them out!”

And:

“Hey, man, you know nothing about real music. Here, listen to some of the bands I like. I bet you’ve never heard of them before. All the music nowadays pales in comparison, and is really just a copycat of them. Oh, wait, you like that kind of music? Hah! Never mind then, you won’t be able to appreciate my music anyways. ‘Maybe when you grow up.”

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that that’s not what you’re trying to sound like. But, honestly, man, that is exactly how you’re coming across right now. Just like last time, the main issue is that you expect us to check out and love the music you listen to, whilst trashing ours in the same breath. And, just like last time, all I’m asking is a change of tone; nothing more. Again, practice what you preach.

I hope you have a happy Sunday. Cheers. :)
“Ok boomer” is the single greatest gift our generation has been bestowed with

Mar 27, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #38,749 of 39,419
They’re incredible for sure, and a lot of that power is a testament to their timing and pitch as well. Similar to a barbershop quartet, when horns hit any particular chord in perfect time and harmony, their frequencies actually add up and emphasize certain harmonics or (“rings”), which add further power to the sound. It’s an awesome phenomenon that can shake the room at times live. The closest I’ve heard myself have been Incognito’s shows at Java Jazz. They’re great, great fun.

Here’s one of their performances from their Live in London concert:

And, if you like live funk, you may find this infamous concert from Vulfpeck particularly enjoyable as well: :wink:

absolutely love funk. It's the Tower of Power and their slap bass that I love most. Really got into that sound back in the late 70s.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #38,750 of 39,419
Oh brother, it took me everything not to write those very words in my post. :D

Yo Deez , i am 45 not 65 :wink:

anyway , enjoy your music bro - no point continuing this one , everyone hears what he likes to hear and it's cool :xf_cool:

/if someone here owned say a 3K iem and said to someone hey your 100$ iem is not so great bro you can do better, i don't think we would say that he is being 'rude' but like i said, it's cool - hear what you like - from Bruno Mars to Beethoven there is music for every taste

cheers

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #38,752 of 39,419
“Ok boomer” is the single greatest gift our generation has been bestowed with
Really? I thought it was social media, video games and tide pods.

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #38,753 of 39,419
Mar 27, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #38,754 of 39,419
A few audio impressions before it slips my mind. I've been curious about a few of these IEMs for a while. It's like I was hearing the chanting of the XE6 somewhere in the distance like the board game Jumani is buried in my back yard.

Glad that I got to silence some of those ideas today. FYI these are quick impressions from 2-4 songs after a few Stellas.

Screenshot_20220327-184051_Gallery.jpg

Zen Pro (@Rockwell75 ) - The weight felt hefty and seemed to have a good build. Fit my small ears well. Classical sounded good but rock sounded better. Tonality was slightly warm. Good sonics for the price.

Screenshot_20220327-184410_Gallery.jpg

VE EXT - The fit is larger than the Monarch MKII for me so I only got a few tracks in before taking it out. Holding my opinion until I get the tour kit.

Screenshot_20220327-184651_Gallery.jpg

XE6 - This is the Heisenburg of bass. The XE6 is the one who knocks. You want to hear the singer? Nope. BASS. So I hear that you like the Violin. Nope. Maybe you'll like the sound of the Cello instead. Its got a bass that rumbles deeper than Hagrids pockets. I can see why some people really like this. The bone conductor drivers gives this enveloping sound stage that makes you feel like you are at a club.

Screenshot_20220327-184845_Gallery.jpg

Aroma Jewel - The fit was larger than the Traillii. If I go this route, I would probably buy a custom.

Screenshot_20220327-185128_Gallery.jpg
Female vocals sounded airy and ethereal. What stood out to me the most was its fantastic resolution and clarity when it came to acoustics. The tonality (colour temperature) seemed brighter than the Traillii. +Points for vented faceplates, no fear of pressure build up. Need to re-audition.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220327-184051_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-184051_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #38,755 of 39,419
absolutely love funk. It's the Tower of Power and their slap bass that I love most. Really got into that sound back in the late 70s.

Well, whilst we're on the topic, I am a relative novice when it comes to the worlds of funk and modern jazz.
But thanks to the wonders of the Head-Fi community, I was introduced to this cover of a Tower of Power track.
This one is instrumental, by a Japanese female jazz-funk collective.
I'm not a bass player, but I love music and at least play some guitar, and my feeling about the bass player is that hers is some of the best bass playing I've ever heard/seen, in terms of precision technique, fluency/fluidity and general musicality.
I kind of wish she covered up a bit more, since frankly the only thing required to make jaws drop is just to hear and see her play, but that's just the image she seems to like lol.

Her name is Juna Serita, and she has been an on/off member of this group, Tokyo Groove Jyoshi for a few years I think, as well as releasing her own solo stuff.
If you can't view the video for copyright reasons, this one is called "WHAT IS HIP ? (Cover)/TOKYO GROOVE JYOSHI & Shinobu Kawashima":

I think this version has the best/clearest mastering to hear the bass guitar.

However, I should add that they've done a few versions of this cover, another one called 'twin bass version What is hip? by Tokyo Groove Jyoshi/Juna&Rina at gigabarTOKYO', which features Juna and her replacement in the band playing together in her last gig and a saxophonist in place of the Japanese stringed instrument.
I think her soloing is better in this version, and it's live too.
Anyway, here's the link for that one, and would love to hear what you all think! Happy Monday all :)

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #38,756 of 39,419
Well, whilst we're on the topic, I am a relative novice when it comes to the worlds of funk and modern jazz.
But thanks to the wonders of the Head-Fi community, I was introduced to this cover of a Tower of Power track.
I'm not a bass player, but I love music and at least play some guitar, and my feeling about the bass player is that hers is some of the best bass playing I've ever heard/seen, in terms of precision technique, fluency/fluidity and general musicality.
I kind of wish she covered up a bit more, since frankly the only thing required to make jaws drop is just to hear and see her play, but that's just the image she seems to like lol.

Her name is Juna Serita, and she has been an on/off member of this group, Tokyo Groove Jyoshi for a few years I think, as well as releasing her own solo stuff.
If you can't view the video for copyright reasons, this one is called "WHAT IS HIP ? (Cover)/TOKYO GROOVE JYOSHI & Shinobu Kawashima":

However, I should add that they've done a few versions of this cover, another one called 'twin bass version What is hip? by Tokyo Groove Jyoshi/Juna&Rina at gigabarTOKYO', which features Juna and her replacement in the band playing together in her last gig and a saxophonist in place of the Japanese stringed instrument.
Anyway, here's the link for that one, and would love to hear what you all think! Happy Monday all :)

This is awesome. All female Japanese funk band.

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #38,757 of 39,419

Great recommendations, man! While you're at it, you should also check out KIYO*SEN. They're another Japanese, all-female, jazz duo, and the name is a portmanteau of its two members' names: Kiyomi Otaka on keys and Senri Kawaguchi on drums. Both have prodigal, prodigal levels of skill, and their arrangements are always riveting. Here's a live performance of one of my favourite tracks of theirs, Ladies Talk, featuring an awesome female bassist as well:

And, here's a video of Senri playing the tune solo on Drumeo's channel with much better audio, which remains one of my absolute favourite drum performances of all-time:

I was fortunate enough to see her perform live at Java Jazz 2020 with the Japanese band T-SQUARE, literally the week before the whole country went into lockdown. It was an electric experience, and she really does hit that hard. :D

If you want examples of some more jazz-funk tunes that highlight the bass, you should check out Dirty Loops and Cory Wong's Turbo project. The bassist, Henrik Linder, is another world-class talent:

This track from the same project literally starts with the bass:

And, speaking of Cory Wong, Sonny Thompson's bass performance on his track, Massive, is incredibly delicious as well:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #38,758 of 39,419
Does anyone have any interest in the new Meze flagship IEM that Jude spoke about in the Singapore CanJam video? It’s a single DD driver set with what I feel are some very nice aesthetics. No price was mentioned, but it will debut at the show.

The one aspect I don’t like is it appears to use mmcx connectors which I’m not a fan of at all unless I don’t plan on cable rolling. When I bought my S.K, this happened the first time I connected the included Oslo cable, and I got this sickening feeling wondering if I was going to have to send it back for replacement, but fortunately, when I replaced the Oslo with a final C106, both sides snapped in as they should.

Anyway, I know there are huge fans of single DD driver sets here on this thread, so I thought I would mention it. ✌️

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #38,759 of 39,419
Does anyone have any interest in the new Meze flagship IEM that Jude spoke about in the Singapore CanJam video? It’s a single DD driver set with what I feel are some very nice aesthetics. No price was mentioned, but it will debut at the show.

The one aspect I don’t like is it appears to use mmcx connectors which I’m not a fan of at all unless I don’t plan on cable rolling. When I bought my S.K, this happened the first time I connected the included Oslo cable, and I got this sickening feeling wondering if I was going to have to send it back for replacement, but fortunately, when I replaced the Oslo with a final C106, both sides snapped in as they should.

Anyway, I know there are huge fans of single DD driver sets here on this thread, so I thought I would mention it. ✌️
I am one with you with Meze and their design aesthetics lol
Their IEM designs are so nice. I really have to try the Solo still and unfortunately, it's not being talked about much.
The Rai Penta was pretty good, but it just wasn't my type of tuning. The comfort and build are up there though.

I do really wonder about the Advar's price and sound. As for MMCX... I'm honestly one of the lucky few that haven't had any problems with it. Especially now with Final's MMCX removal tool. It's always been the removing aspect of MMCX I was always scared of. My first IEM was the Shure SE215 and the following 2 after that all had MMCX connectors so I guess I'm okay with them. I still have all 3 IEMs and a few others afterwards that had MMCX and I never really had problems with them besides the Andromeda MW10 that got a bit loose on the right side.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #38,760 of 39,419
I am one with you with Meze and their design aesthetics lol
Their IEM designs are so nice. I really have to try the Solo still and unfortunately, it's not being talked about much.
The Rai Penta was pretty good, but it just wasn't my type of tuning. The comfort and build are up there though.

I do really wonder about the Advar's price and sound. As for MMCX... I'm honestly one of the lucky few that haven't had any problems with it. Especially now with Final's MMCX removal tool. It's always been the removing aspect of MMCX I was always scared of. My first IEM was the Shure SE215 and the following 2 after that all had MMCX connectors so I guess I'm okay with them. I still have all 3 IEMs and a few others afterwards that had MMCX and I never really had problems with them besides the Andromeda MW10 that got a bit loose on the right side.
I'm with you on this. I owned the Rai Pentas and never had a problem with the MMCX connector. The build quality of the RP was top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back