flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 16, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #38,341 of 39,419
3 is enough to cover most things I think. Anymore is basically just impulse buying:beerchug:

So what is happening with your M9:thinking:

Yeah I'll have a go at that too, but then I am hearing horror stories on how awful it sounds without a powerful source (typical reaction from my local community, I suppose). Not sure how different the demo will be to the CM tho, and DC Ti does not have a universal version.

Haha I am using it as we speak with the Jewel. I listed it because I don’t use it much, it’s better than the DX248-2 but I prefer the size of the latter, fits nicely in my pocket.

I just pulled the trigger on XE6 and you’re to blame 😂

😎 hopefully you like it, give it some time to adjust to the warmth especially if you’re coming from something brighter. I’d also recommend a neutral or brighter source for best synergy but I enjoy it with the M9 also which to me is warm/neutral.

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #38,342 of 39,419
Yeah I'll have a go at that too, but then I am hearing horror stories on how awful it sounds without a powerful source (typical reaction from my local community, I suppose). Not sure how different the demo will be to the CM tho, and DC Ti does not have a universal version.
Nooo, don't take it so negatively; it's true that the DC Ti needs power and DAC synergy to deliver but when you give it, boy does it deliver! Have a listen for yourself, if anything, the custom will just deliver more bass and the isolation without tips, for me, equates to more comfort and all around better performance.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #38,343 of 39,419
😎 hopefully you like it, give it some time to adjust to the warmth especially if you’re coming from something brighter. I’d also recommend a neutral or brighter source for best synergy but I enjoy it with the M9 also which to me is warm/neutral.
I hope I do. I’d prefer something warm over something that’s bright or neutral. My source would be the R8, I hope it’s gonna be a good combo. Maybe I’ll use Norne’s S4 cable and Spiral Dots ++ as the tips, along with black Atom XS. We’ll see how it goes.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #38,344 of 39,419
I hope I do. I’d prefer something warm over something that’s bright or neutral. My source would be the R8, I hope it’s gonna be a good combo. Maybe I’ll use Norne’s S4 cable and Spiral Dots ++ as the tips, along with black Atom XS. We’ll see how it goes.
Where did you order from? I heard from someone here Andrew isn't shipping outside US the Fir stuff for some reason!

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #38,345 of 39,419
Where did you order from? I heard from someone here Andrew isn't shipping outside US the Fir stuff for some reason!
From my usual dealer 😊

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #38,346 of 39,419
Hi there!

It's been a while since I was active over here, but some of you 'old timers' might still remember me from the early days of this thread.

So, guess what...
GIF - JW.gif

The reason?

Short version: At a certain moment I noticed that prices of new IEMs were going through the roof and out of reach for people, that Lennon once so well described as 'working class heroes'. So, at some point I decided that my current gear was / had to be my 'End Game' (a peaceful state of mind, by the way) in this hobby.

Besides that, during last year I also got the feeling that I did not have that much to contribute anymore, without turning in circles, sounding like a broken record.
So, I took a break from HF...

But recently something happened, which made me think that I finally had something to contribute again. So, if you're slightly interested in still affordable audio, or another kind of (non working class) hero. Or in case you just want to know what all 'this fuss' is about...
GIF 01.gif

Please come over and check it out over here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earsonics-onyx.25694/reviews#review-27961

All the best and (hopefully) happy reading!

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #38,348 of 39,419
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #38,349 of 39,419
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #38,351 of 39,419
Hi there!

It's been a while since I was active over here, but some of you 'old timers' might still remember me from the early days of this thread.

So, guess what...
GIF - JW.gif

The reason?

Short version: At a certain moment I noticed that prices of new IEMs were going through the roof and out of reach for people, that Lennon once so well described as 'working class heroes'. So, at some point I decided that my current gear was / had to be my 'End Game' (a peaceful state of mind, by the way) in this hobby.

Besides that, during last year I also got the feeling that I did not have that much to contribute anymore, without turning in circles, sounding like a broken record.
So, I took a break from HF...

But recently something happened, which made me think that I finally had something to contribute again. So, if you're slightly interested in still affordable audio, or another kind of (non working class) hero. Or in case you just want to know what all 'this fuss' is about...
GIF 01.gif

Please come over and check it out over here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earsonics-onyx.25694/reviews#review-27961

All the best and (hopefully) happy reading!

Welcome back! I fully understand the reasoning behind staying away for awhile, I feel the same at times. ✌️

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #38,352 of 39,419
Centurion Price +25% starting from March....what's happening with all the cable price raises nowadays lol.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #38,355 of 39,419
Actually I think its a brilliant idea to utilize the psychological FOMO part of the hobby!
Nah, it will be a better cable in March as it will be a $5k cable then and everyone else will only have a $4k cable so I'll wait until then to pick one up before they sell out 🤦‍♂️:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back