flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #38,296 of 39,414
:O I want a Pheonix now
Haha, based on the quote you quoted (that called EXT more musical and Phönix drier), I hear them the opposite. Phonix is warm and lush and musical, EXT is fast and dry.
As a current user, I agree. EXT is the perfect match.

btw just finished reading your Phonix review, what an excellent read. When is the EXT one coming up? Haven't been on Head-fi for a while (to avoid getting tempted by new stuff....) and I've probably missed your impressions on the EXT. Did you enjoy it?
Thanks, and no, aside from a few random replies with some impressions, haven't posted anything yet. Hoping to have time to finish and post the review this week still, otherwise it might be early next. Enjoying it very much, it's trading punches with Z1R as we speak (I'm thinking of writing the review as a shootout between the two, we'll see).

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #38,297 of 39,414
Knowing your preferences, I think you might really enjoy the Phonix. It's an unquestionably good/great IEM, just a little dry for my tastes and also has a small (but, to me, noticeable) amount of hiss with some sources.
I haven’t enjoyed a VE in ages namely because I find them overly musical so the Pheonix might be perfect for me. Not a huge fan of the design, I find it a bit tacky, but there’s definitely worse out there

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #38,298 of 39,414
Haha, based on the quote you quoted (that called EXT more musical and Phönix drier), I hear them the opposite. Phonix is warm and lush and musical, EXT is fast and dry.

Thanks, and no, aside from a few random replies with some impressions, haven't posted anything yet. Hoping to have time to finish and post the review this week still, otherwise it might be early next. Enjoying it very much, it's trading punches with Z1R as we speak (I'm thinking of writing the review as a shootout between the two, we'll see).
EXT fast? :O I found it way, way too slow personally, that’s why I moved it on as fast as I did. So much decay that separation and detail became mediocre at best

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #38,299 of 39,414
EXT fast? :O I found it way, way too slow personally, that’s why I moved it on as fast as I did. So much decay that separation and detail became mediocre at best
Whaaaat? Here I'm commenting in my notes how fast the decay is (bass mainly), but also treble. If you think EXT is slow, what of Z1R. That slow, sexy decay of the Z1R is what makes it so special, especially sub bass, where it's peerless.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #38,300 of 39,414
It's not the decay that's fast, I reckon. It's the attack, as well as its aggressiveness - or rowdy-ness - at times. Whereas, the PHoNIX is an IEM that more so takes its time with ease and grace, yet its light-footedness makes it sound incredibly detailed at the same time.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #38,301 of 39,414
It's not the decay that's fast, I reckon. It's the attack, as well as its aggressiveness - or rowdy-ness - at times. Whereas, the PHoNIX is an IEM that more so takes its time with ease and grace, yet its light-footedness makes it sound incredibly detailed at the same time.
I agree, Phönix resolves an incredible amount of detail for how chilled it is. EXT has that fast, dry, feathery estat treble that brightens up the whole FR. Even the bass is as tight as a (expletive deleted) 🤭

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #38,302 of 39,414
Whaaaat? Here I'm commenting in my notes how fast the decay is (bass mainly), but also treble. If you think EXT is slow, what of Z1R. That slow, sexy decay of the Z1R is what makes it so special, especially sub bass, where it's peerless.
The Z1R has similarly slow bass, but the significantly boosted treble (with that stupid speed) and the lower bass quantity makes for way more clarity and separation - it’s one of the most technical IEMs I’ve heard. If the fit wasn’t as abysmal I’d be all over it

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #38,303 of 39,414
I feel the same way. The bass dragged to the point I couldn't live with.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #38,304 of 39,414
The Z1R has similarly slow bass, but the significantly boosted treble (with that stupid speed) and the lower bass quantity makes for way more clarity and separation - it’s one of the most technical IEMs I’ve heard. If the fit wasn’t as abysmal I’d be all over it
if they ever make a Z1R Mk11 in a more form friendly manner I'd be all over that in a heartbeat :L3000:

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #38,305 of 39,414
if they ever make a Z1R Mk11 in a more form friendly manner I'd be all over that in a heartbeat :L3000:
I hope to be able to go to Japan to get a custom IER Z1R from Sony’s JustEars

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #38,306 of 39,414
I honestly don't hear EXT bass as slow. Maybe not as fast as a BA driver, but I wouldn't call it slow. Maybe the faster attack and decay compared to Z1R just makes it sound faster, not sure, @Deezel177 would probably have a better handle on the specifics here. I'm with you on EXT being one of the more technical IEMs I've heard - not as in brilliant technicalities (they're still very good), but technical sounding. Clinical is too hard a word, which is why I called it dry. As for fit, after more than a week of in-and-out AB listening, my ears feel like they're in an abusive relationship with EXT... :confounded:
I feel the same way. The bass dragged to the point I couldn't live with.
If you mean with EXT, I just don't hear it that way. Have you heard Z1R? EXT does have more of a midbass focus to it though.
Heh, I actually find Z1R very comfortable. EXT onthe other hand...it's ok, as long as I leave it be. If I take it in and out a few times, my ears start burning.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #38,307 of 39,414
I honestly don't hear EXT bass as slow. Maybe not as fast as a BA driver, but I wouldn't call it slow. Maybe the faster attack and decay compared to Z1R just makes it sound faster, not sure, @Deezel177 would probably have a better handle on the specifics here. I'm with you on EXT being one of the more technical IEMs I've heard - not as in brilliant technicalities (they're still very good), but technical sounding. Clinical is too hard a word, which is why I called it dry. As for fit, after more than a week of in-and-out AB listening, my ears feel like they're in an abusive relationship with EXT... :confounded:

If you mean with EXT, I just don't hear it that way. Have you heard Z1R? EXT does have more of a midbass focus to it though.

Heh, I actually find Z1R very comfortable. EXT onthe other hand...it's ok, as long as I leave it be. If I take it in and out a few times, my ears start burning.
I tend to agree. There's definitely a linger to the bass compared to something like the PHoNIX, but it doesn't drag on to the point of wetness, smearing or smoke. I've heard much longer, more bellowing decays. Maybe its specific fit has a part to play in how differently its bass is perceived from person to person. Somewhere in there is blame to put on burn-in too, perhaps. :D

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #38,308 of 39,414
I tend to agree. There's definitely a linger to the bass compared to something like the PHoNIX, but it doesn't drag on to the point of wetness, smearing or smoke. I've heard much longer, more bellowing decays. Maybe its specific fit has a part to play in how differently its bass is perceived from person to person. Somewhere in there is blame to put on burn-in too, perhaps. :D
Fit, burn-in and tips are definite factors. What role they play, who knows? I burned EXT in for at least 100h before starting to listen, and it's probaby done another 20 or so since then. As for tips, I'm literally using Spiral Dot because they're among the few that go in my ears with any degree of comfort at all.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #38,309 of 39,414
Heh, I think I like Odin's shoutiness a bit more now, mainly because this particular sound sig doesn't overlap with anything in my current collection.

Jewel....considering getting a CIEM version because it is another sound sig that is different enough. I miss not having to fiddle with tips. Or XE6. But then I am still waiting for the demo....

I’m considering a Jewel CIEM too, the universal has grown on me a ridiculous amount. The levels of detail it presents without ever coming off as harsh or analytical to me is just amazing. I am slightly hesitant though. It overlaps a lot with the Annihilator but has much better timbre and bass quality, but less bass quantity and much more laid back treble. Not only that, but the universal fits me very well so a CIEM seems stupid, but I love their designs.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #38,310 of 39,414
I’m considering a Jewel CIEM too, the universal has grown on me a ridiculous amount. The levels of detail it presents without ever coming off as harsh or analytical to me is just amazing. I am slightly hesitant though. It overlaps a lot with the Annihilator but has much better timbre and bass quality, but less bass quantity and much more laid back treble. Not only that, but the universal fits me very well so a CIEM seems stupid, but I love their designs.
Just remind yourself what happened with the 'custom' Traillii. And then think how much harder you'll be hit if the CIEM Jewel goes the same way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back