flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #38,266 of 39,414
Traillii and Indigo occupied the highest rank of iems for me
Traillii has the excellent soundstage
Indigo has the best imaging
I've tried my best to find out which iem can make me feel the vibration of the bass.(not about the quantity of bass, is about the reproduction and definition of bass) Traillii and Indigo do it very well, which I can't find from others till now.
Both are all arounder for me.
Um and Oriolus did great jobs!

Oooo is that the special edition Traillii?

I know what you'll say if I say thicker :p And I am thinking about that strongly too!

But since Phonix is balanced, and I want something that is warm neutral-ish tuning I think with a big soundstage. I do use the i4 a lot, so I'm spoilt that way!

Would the bird complement or overlap mostly?

Hmmm I would consider Traillii to overlap too much for it to be worthy of owning alongside Phonix for myself. VE8 would complement Phonix nicely from memory but I don’t recall it having a big stage.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #38,267 of 39,414
Oooo is that the special edition Traillii?

Hmmm I would consider Traillii to overlap too much for it to be worthy of owning alongside Phonix for myself. VE8 would complement Phonix nicely from memory but I don’t recall it having a big stage.
What about XE6 or KR5? Only reason I am doubting XE6 out of contention is the warm sound! Last TOTL with warm sound I heard was Thummim, which I liked, but had no sparkle on top so pretty sure I would have got bored of it!

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #38,270 of 39,414
Feb 14, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #38,271 of 39,414
What about XE6 or KR5? Only reason I am doubting XE6 out of contention is the warm sound! Last TOTL with warm sound I heard was Thummim, which I liked, but had no sparkle on top so pretty sure I would have got bored of it!

XE6 doesn’t have a lot of sparkle within the sound but it’s got great extension, so the warmth may be too much for you. Kr5 is more sparkly but I wouldn’t consider it a warm or complementary IEM to Phonix.

What about a Nio or Fourte Noir?

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #38,272 of 39,414
XE6 doesn’t have a lot of sparkle within the sound but it’s got great extension, so the warmth may be too much for you. Kr5 is more sparkly but I wouldn’t consider it a warm or complementary IEM to Phonix.

What about a Nio or Fourte Noir?
I doubt Nio's soundstage is competitive enough for me, but Noir I am tempted, I did consider that, but hard to find one nowadays!

Hmm..I have seen those massive shells, I doubt they'll fit me :p

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #38,273 of 39,414
I doubt Nio's soundstage is competitive enough for me, but Noir I am tempted, I did consider that, but hard to find one nowadays!
Nio is one of my favorites and it's more technical than it gets credit for. Fantastic value, esp. used.
Hmm..I have seen those massive shells, I doubt they'll fit me :p
The fit is fine for me, and my ear canals are narrow. They do stick out but in no way uncomfortable.

Since phonix is relatively bass light and BA, one of these would be highly complementary imo. Different of course, certainly ito budget.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #38,274 of 39,414
Nio is one of my favorites and it's more technical than it gets credit for. Fantastic value, esp. used.

The fit is fine for me, and my ear canals are narrow. They do stick out but in no way uncomfortable.

Since phonix is relatively bass light and BA, one of these would be highly complementary imo. Different of course, certainly ito budget.
What about the EXT itself? How would that be?

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #38,275 of 39,414
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #38,276 of 39,414
What about the EXT itself? How would that be?
Haven't heard it, but from what I've read they are complementary, although @armstrj2 is still in the process of figuring that out. 😊 But I would be more worried about fit with EXT than with EVO.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #38,277 of 39,414
It is amazing how some small changes to a similar sound signature can make something much more enjoyable, I can’t help but hear quite a few similarities between the Jewel and Odin, but where they differ in their upper mid range presentation makes the Jewel come off as having one of the best and most spacious mid ranges I have experienced whereas Odin for me came off shouty.

It’s also entirely possible I just enjoy this type of sound more than I did when I heard the Odin, who knows. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #38,278 of 39,414
What TOTL iem would complement the Phonix?
The EXT is the obvious answer as a solid state sound with big bass, verses a high end tube sound with more subtle but great bass. The other one that stands out is the Fir Audio Xe6 that has as mix of both with a 3d sound you can feel added on top. Depends on your preferences from there. :)

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #38,280 of 39,414
I almost did yesterday but im good for now! I have the i4 like you, Luna, Jolene and incoming Phonix. Will demo the Kr5 and XE6 in few weeks, if I like it then I'll get one or just call it a day for few months. i4 is soo good that it has spoiled me!
I'd say the same thing. If I got anything, it probably wouldn't be until fall at the earliest, and I might just settle for a used Traillii if all the stuff I audition doesn't wow me by then. Having to pay out of pocket for some outpatient procedures is sucking up all my extra funds for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back