flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #33,811 of 39,419
Questions though, is it still a stock cable if
1. I replaced it with the generic version of the same cable?
2. If I move a stock cable to another iem than the one it came with.

I got into cables for the aesthetic (Effect Audio's fault), and I stayed for the SQ tweaks. But at the end of the day, I don't lile cable rolling at all because it means more explaining to the wife of an increasing budget and fear of breaking something.

The plan is always to find the best pairing and just leave it together with minimal swaps ofc.

My feeling about upgrading cables used to be “why change the sound from what the IEM designer intended.” Then I bought a VE 8 and felt surely a better cable than the $60 one supplied would enhance its performance, so I bought the UM version of a PWA cable (the one that comes with the Mest MKII), and now I‘m hooked, but not to the level of buying multi-thousand dollar versions, I’d rather use those monies to add to my IEM collection, or even a new DAP.

I’m afraid, though, if I succumb to the temptation of, let’s say, an Eletech Aeneid, I’ll be further hooked in this crazy hobby we all share. 😉

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #33,812 of 39,419
Not exactly relevant to this thread, but I just read about this new Sony speaker with LDAC/AAC that uses technology to radiate high frequencies from a glass tube as well as traditional drivers for the midrange and bass and thought since we all like novel design, some might find this interesting …

1626197633282.png

1626197682689.png

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #33,818 of 39,419
My feeling about upgrading cables used to be “why change the sound from what the IEM designer intended.” Then I bought a VE 8 and felt surely a better cable than the $60 one supplied would enhance its performance, so I bought the UM version of a PWA cable (the one that comes with the Mest MKII), and now I‘m hooked, but not to the level of buying multi-thousand dollar versions, I’d rather use those monies to add to my IEM collection, or even a new DAP.

I’m afraid, though, if I succumb to the temptation of, let’s say, an Eletech Aeneid, I’ll be further hooked in this crazy hobby we all share. 😉
A lot of times the cable isn’t as much of a “this is the cable we chose for this IEM” but rather “these are our stock cables take it or leave it” - a lot of companies that cater to the professional market also tend to supply cables that are meant to take some pretty heavy punishment and be replaced after a few shows (64audio sells entire tour packs of stock cables)

I personally like the “lite” and “complete” approach best - recommend an optimal cable, but don’t force me to buy it

And then EE’s approach “we choose a stock cable based on the price we’ve already chosen for the IEM” is something that I’d say I respect most, where the cable MSRP is not simply passed on to the consumer

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #33,819 of 39,419
That’s all you better say. I am too broke for this.

When I looked for info on the Elysian Labs X, I wasn’t able to find much on it. I did see a video and it looks beautiful, when does your set arrive and how much is it? Sorry if I missed early chatter about this already. ✌️

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #33,820 of 39,419
When I looked for info on the Elysian Labs X, I wasn’t able to find much on it. I did see a video and it looks beautiful, when does your set arrive and how much is it? Sorry if I missed early chatter about this already. ✌️

He’s expecting to ship it out right towards the end of the month. Apparently covid situation in Malaysia is quite bad and it’s causing logistical issues for the cable parts and some of the packaging. Once he has the cable ready to go he is sending me the cable + iem and the packaging at a later date. So I’m hoping right at the end of the month assuming all goes well.
I paid $3699 as he gave that price to the first 10 pre orders , msrp is $4500.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #33,821 of 39,419
He’s expecting to ship it out right towards the end of the month. Apparently covid situation in Malaysia is quite bad and it’s causing logistical issues for the cable parts and some of the packaging. Once he has the cable ready to go he is sending me the cable + iem and the packaging at a later date. So I’m hoping right at the end of the month assuming all goes well.
I paid $3699 as he gave that price to the first 10 pre orders , msrp is $4500.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to your impressions. 👍

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #33,822 of 39,419
The photos look incredibe 🤤 Perfect lighting to showcase the wires' delicate silvery beauty. Can't take my eyes of 'em. They're as beautiful as Cleopatra

I've just had this shower thought that there is an idea of an Andrew, some kind of abstraction. But there is no real Andrew. Only a gateway, something illusory. And though we can see his email, and reach him to receive a prompt amiable reply.. He may simply be not there

American Psycho, anyone ?

(curious if anyone else got the nod/joke)

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #33,823 of 39,419
To those who owned both EE Odin and LX SE ....
1. Keep Odin
2. Keep Legend X SE
3. Keep both.

Thanks, guys.

4. Sell both and get Trailli (someone will surely say)

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #33,824 of 39,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back