flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #33,436 of 39,414
The amp from LP6 is certainly way more powerful. It is designed to drive headphones like HD800s. In some way I do view it as having a built-in C9, and with a strong and and energetic style of sound.
Wonder what LP6 would do for the Thummim that set needs extra power.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #33,437 of 39,414
Wonder what LP6 would do for the Thummim that set needs extra power.
I am sure it would be awesome…thinking about getting a Thummin demo unit from Andrew. :)

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #33,439 of 39,414
Elysian X Preview
I am excited to reveal a preview of the Elysian X. The topology is 1 Foster DD + 4 BA + 4 EST. The shell is 2 layer shell, made from a carbon nanofiber and 24k gold composite with fine black pigmentation (somewhat metallic in appearance). Something I noticed right away was the cable design and asked Mr. Lee about it. I included his comments below.

Some notes from Mr. Lee at Elysian about the cable:

"The cable is a custom design, inspired acoustically by the PWAudio 1950s. We went all out on this cable design for our flagship, X. It's a five material design comprising of 19awg copper gold plating+silver palladium plating+copper gold alloy+carbon nanofiber. The difference is that 1950s has a cleaner sound with little to no decay. Our newly designed cable (specially matched for X) has a more natural sound with good decay and has better soundstage than PW1950. The material is also soft and microphonics are minimal. This bundled cable is the optimal cable for X and we are excited for our customers to get their hands on X very soon."

image5.jpg

image0.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #33,440 of 39,414
Elysian X Preview
I am excited to reveal a preview of the Elysian X. The topology is 1 Foster DD + 4 BA + 4 EST. The shell is 2 layer shell, made from a carbon nanofiber and 24k gold composite with fine black pigmentation (metallic in appearance). Something I noticed right away was the cable design and asked Mr. Lee about it. I included his comments below.

"The cable is a custom design, inspired acoustically by the PWAudio 1950s. We went all out on this cable design for our flagship, X. It's a five material design comprising of 19awg copper gold plating+silver palladium plating+copper gold alloy+carbon nanofiber. The difference is that 1950s has a cleaner sound with little to no decay. Our newly designed cable (specially matched for X) has a more natural sound with good decay and has better soundstage than PW1950. The material is also soft and microphonics are minimal. This bundled cable is the optimal cable for X and we are excited for our customers to get their hands on X very soon."

image5.jpg

I’m excited to receive mine 😆

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #33,441 of 39,414
Elysian X Preview
I am excited to reveal a preview of the Elysian X. The topology is 1 Foster DD + 4 BA + 4 EST. The shell is 2 layer shell, made from a carbon nanofiber and 24k gold composite with fine black pigmentation (somewhat metallic in appearance). Something I noticed right away was the cable design and asked Mr. Lee about it. I included his comments below.

image5.jpg

Can someone tell Mr. Lee that cables don’t change anything? I mean, my gosh. Where’s Mehran when you need him.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #33,442 of 39,414
Elysian X Preview

Can they made custom order connector using standard 0.78 2-pin? How can we compare with Orpheus? :upside_down:
Looking forward for impression from early adopter :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #33,443 of 39,414
Weird problems. And here I am worrying that I haven't switched over to my other iems after having the Fourte in hand.

I was insufferable about the Tia high driver, prefer for endless shilling about the Tia mid driver.

Really hope 64 considers using the Tia High, mid-high, Tia mid setup outside of the Fourte.
I am sure it would be awesome…thinking about getting a Thummin demo unit from Andrew. :)
You can't go wrong, Muddy Water’s just told me another mule is kicking in his stall, while sitting in the room with me, spooky good!

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #33,444 of 39,414

Do you know if the cable is also from Liquid Links? I think I recall reading that the Annihilator came with a cable from Liquid Links called Martini.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #33,445 of 39,414
Elysian X Preview

Hi,
where have you ordered the Elysian X ?
Thanks!

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #33,446 of 39,414
Reporting in with a new high-end IEM from Hong Kong, just posted up my review of the Benbulbin from Nostalgia Audio on Everyday Listening and it will be coming soon to THL too. Some of you may have heard of the company as they started making custom cables a few years ago, but have only recently jumped into the IEM game. The Benbulbin is a 5-driver hybrid coming in at $899 USD and it comes with their Prelude custom cable which is a neat addition.

DSC01393.jpg

TLDR a great all-rounder in its price class. Technically about on par with what you'd expect at $900 which is to say, great but not mind-blowing - you won't get a huge, expansive stage, holographic imaging or overt sparkle and micro-detail. However, it is very resolving of fine detail in the lower treble and has a very well-tuned bass response.

Nostalgia Audio Benbulbin 2.png

The tuning is a sub-bass boosted DF neutral signature, not exactly Harman due to its more aggressive cut through the mid-bass to lower-midrange. Relative to your usual reference monitor, it sports a slightly smoother treble which makes it a bit more forgiving, albeit at the cost of some midrange note body due to the lower-mid cut. Overall though, a tonally clean tuning with a nice, tight sub-bass rumble and less intensity than most Harman-target IEMs. A great foray for Nostalgia Audio I'd say.

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #33,447 of 39,414
Hi guys,. there are so many new IEMs coming in here that I have a hard time to keep up. Anyway, could someone help me out?
How would the Sennheiser IE-900 and the qdc Anole VX compare? Looking for the best signature for long term listening during the day outdoors for all genres.
Thanks, guys.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #33,448 of 39,414
How would the Sennheiser IE-900 and the qdc Anole VX compare? Looking for the best signature for long term listening during the day outdoors for all genres.
Thanks, guys.
I’d imagine quite different. The one is a single DD at $1300 and the other an all BA at circa $2.5k?

Long term listening across genres - what is your sound profile preference (analytical, smooth, warm, punchy, relaxed, etc) or some examples of IEMs you liked or disliked?

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #33,449 of 39,414
Can someone tell Mr. Lee that cables don’t change anything? I mean, my gosh. Where’s Mehran when you need him.
Well, who's to blame here. That's what you get when you claim outrageous differences with ridiculously expensive cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back