flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #32,327 of 39,414
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #32,329 of 39,414
I think what he means to say is that it's not worth it despite owning it. Being able to buy something doesn't make it worth it. BUT...it's all about context. I don't think any of my gear is 'worth it' to people who can't appreciate it, which is 99% of people out there at a guess. It's worth it to ME though, so if that's your meaning, then yes, as long as it's worth it to you then I guess it's 'worth it'.

My entire sig cost me ~$5000 (what I paid for it, not what it's 'worth'). So it's very doable. Swapping it all for one of the Hyper IEMs. Not worth it. Not even close. For me.
I would say that the worth only has to be agreed upon by two people (OK, maybe a few more if there are Sig. others involved-lol) 1. the buyer 2 the seller. Anyone else's opnion means exactly 0.

From there it comes down to taste, budget, goals, and flat-out--what makes you happy! Besides, price and value/worth are two different things.

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #32,330 of 39,414
Please answer one or more of the following questions: Show all work in the margins) Penmanship and grammar count! (sorry, was having a teaching flashback...)

Sultan vs. Thummim
Legend X vs Thummim

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #32,331 of 39,414
Please answer one or more of the following questions: Show all work in the margins) Penmanship and grammar count! (sorry, was having a teaching flashback...)

Sultan vs. Thummim
Legend X vs Thummim

Thanks!
[Disregard this post if you are not into metal music... ]

I haven't heard the Sultan, but today I listened to LX, Thummim and the Bird, to Nightwish' last two albums, driven by Chord M Scaler/Dave. I liked the Thummim the best. It is suitably dark and warm, has strong, deep bass but not too much, excellent crunchy guitars with lots of texture, clear vocals, nice sparkle in the treble. I think it's a metalhead's dream IEM. During this particular listening session, the LX was good too, but a little boomy. The Bird took some getting used to, it felt too detailed and forward, after the Thummim... It is great of course, but for these particular albums I enjoyed the darker sound signature of the Thummim the most.

This may not be what you are looking for, as these are just some random impressions, based on a single listening session. With other albums/genres, the result may well be different. I'm already looking forward to the next session, and see how it goes ... What a joy to listen to music. :)

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #32,332 of 39,414
20210603_154741.jpg
Some much needed "cooling" down in an overheated ToTL market.

I'm actually enjoying the MW10 much more than I did the first time I demoed it almost an year ago. Feels like my preferences have been further refined since then. With none of the criticisms I leveled at it back then showing up despite the same tracks being ran off the same source.

Having been fortunate to have heard every Andro variant tuning, for me MW10 takes the best consituent parts of the signatures and combines them. Shame that it's a regional LE tuning, but well worth the price tag.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #32,333 of 39,414
@toaster if you have a Cardas Light/1960s 2w/Stormbreaker handy, that's the best I've heard so far with Fourte.
have the 1960 from bird and the 1950, care of @doctorjuggles, on the erlky.

planning to pull the j fiddy off the erlky for the fourte...def need some copper to tame those overeager highs.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #32,334 of 39,414
have the 1960 from bird and the 1950, care of @doctorjuggles, on the erlky.

planning to pull the j fiddy off the erlky for the fourte...def need some copper to tame those overeager highs.
1950s might be too much of a good thing with the Fourte. Haven't tried mine with Fourte, so it's just a guess. 1960s should be a touch warmer and more sedate but see how you go. Whatever you do keep Fourte away from silver!

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #32,335 of 39,414
Oldie but goodie…4 years on and still the king 😎

1173B126-42A2-40D9-8FEB-8003282D61B1.jpeg

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,336 of 39,414
1950s might be too much of a good thing with the Fourte. Haven't tried mine with Fourte, so it's just a guess. 1960s should be a touch warmer and more sedate but see how you go. Whatever you do keep Fourte away from silver!
i found the 50 warmer than the 60 when i tested on my a18t a while back. anyone else found this to be the case?

i feel like i hear more people saying they hear it the way you're saying, that the 60 is warmer.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #32,337 of 39,414
[Disregard this post if you are not into metal music... ]

I haven't heard the Sultan, but today I listened to LX, Thummim and the Bird, to Nightwish' last two albums, driven by Chord M Scaler/Dave. I liked the Thummim the best. It is suitably dark and warm, has strong, deep bass but not too much, excellent crunchy guitars with lots of texture, clear vocals, nice sparkle in the treble. I think it's a metalhead's dream IEM. During this particular listening session, the LX was good too, but a little boomy. The Bird took some getting used to, it felt too detailed and forward, after the Thummim... It is great of course, but for these particular albums I enjoyed the darker sound signature of the Thummim the most.

This may not be what you are looking for, as these are just some random impressions, based on a single listening session. With other albums/genres, the result may well be different. I'm already looking forward to the next session, and see how it goes ... What a joy to listen to music. :)
I think those are quite useful impressions. IMy musical taste inclused Primus, Slipknot, Opeth, Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, Intronaut, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, all sorts of prog rock, fusion, and lots of acustic (post-bop) jazz. Not a lot of vocal stuff, but I do love me some Melody Gardot, Rickie Lee Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ella, Sarah Vaughn and so on. Some classical as well- shuffle on my collection is a bizarre and varied experience. This variety puts a strain on my gear to do everything well - and I really (not so secretly) hope for "the one", but am willing to be a little polyiem-orous, for the right iems....

I try to be open-mineded, but really want DD bass. That plus the price puts the Bird and the new UM iem off my radar. The Thummim is more than I would like to spend, but it keeps calling to me. @RTodd loves his. We are similar in our taste , and he would be an easy target for me to blame (LOL) if I get and do not like the Thummims.

I have some gear I should sell, and feel like i would be entitled to bootstrap that money into a set of Thummims Thummimae(?) not sure what te plural is.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #32,339 of 39,414
Question… I’ve always been intrigued by these but have avoided them due to the open back design. It kind of renders them the antithesis of IEM’s for me; but, are they loud or do they disturb others around you?
People can definitely hear what you’re listening to, but of course they’re not as loud as open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back