flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #29,956 of 39,414
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #29,957 of 39,414
Barnie for President?
Not sure if Barnie has those sort of ambitions. He is 'landed gentry' by birth, as he was born "Lord" (his real name), so his one goal in life is to have an estate to reflect that and live a life of leisure roaming the grounds. The main problem is that when he sees our backyard he just looks at me disappointedly...
🧐 "Really?" 🧐
🧐 "This is the best you can do for me?!" 🧐

🤣

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #29,958 of 39,414
Can someone please un-sell me the Traillii on other bases than it's price? :beyersmile: All I see is positive things and I'm trying to filter through it all. I've seen huge praise for other costly IEMs I would consider abominations. I can't bloody demo so would be a blind purchase..

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #29,959 of 39,414
Not sure if Barnie has those sort of ambitions. He is 'landed gentry' by birth, as he was born "Lord" (his real name), so his one goal in life is to have an estate to reflect that and live a life of leisure roaming the grounds. The main problem is that when he sees our backyard he just looks at me disappointedly...
🧐 "Really?" 🧐
🧐 "This is the best you can do for me?!" 🧐

🤣
Barnie on Safari than, that could be some great shots. Nose to Trunk.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #29,960 of 39,414
Can someone please un-sell me the Traillii on other bases than it's price? :beyersmile: All I see is positive things and I'm trying to filter through it all. I've seen huge praise for other costly IEMs I would consider abominations. I can't bloody demo so would be a blind purchase..
I have been racking my brain and cannot think of anything lacking. Not V shaped, that is pretty weak, could be a plus unless you were looking for V shape. Not good for bad recordings, again pretty weak as a fault.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #29,961 of 39,414
X-posted from the MEST MK2 thread, figured I’d post here too because these are worthy of being mentioned in this thread :)

Some more impressions of mine on the MEST MK2 after a lot of ear time yesterday.

Done from ibasso DX300 M gain vol 35, NOS filter, stock cable and the stock blue silicone tips

Listened between 6-7 hours yesterday. It is somewhere between balanced and a slight v shape depending on your preferences. There is more treble emphasis than bass though. Deep sub bass extension and great rumble, lacks a bit of impact and slam for edm but still sounds very good. I think if it had more boom to it there would be coherency issues with the mid range as it’s tuned to be more revealing rather than textured. Lower mids aren’t too weighty so I feel deep male vocals can sometimes lack a bit of body. Female vocals sound fantastic though. The rise from lower to upper mids is very linear, not bulbous like the Odin or M5. There’s a solid bit of lower treble energy, but it’s very smooth and not even remotely harsh so it’s done quite well. Upper treble isn’t there in spades but it’s good enough to not make high notes sound off, just not super airy like you’d get from some Tia drivers. Genuinely have no idea what the bone drivers are for, I hear nothing different compared to any other iem. Technicalities on it are top notch, pin point imaging and nice open staging. It’s not crazy out of your head but it’s very accurate and organized. This is probably the best value iem I have heard and overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #29,962 of 39,414
The DITA Oslo cable was a very nice pairing, although I only used that briefly for a training and so I was not taking notes. Haven't tried EA Code 51, which is the only other cable I have that can be used with MMCX thanks to EA's ConX.

Although I agree the VxV can scale with a higher end cable, I actually like them stock. I forget about analysing and just end up enjoying my music, much like I have with the CA FIBAE Black. The VxV seem to resonate with me and I forget about being an audiophile (as I indicated in the review). To me that is the gear I love using most. Although based on the VxV and M4, I can't help but be curious about the M5. 😜

You and I both, one of these days I'll get a shot at the US AudioTiers review kit. In my brief time with the VxV, I'm very impressed.

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #29,963 of 39,414
You and I both, one of these days I'll get a shot at the US AudioTiers review kit. In my brief time with the VxV, I'm very impressed.
Yeah, the VxV are super fun. I was listening to Slipknot while training today and the impact and energy were fantastic. The VxV are now my go-to gym IEMs, replacing the E4000.

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #29,964 of 39,414
If you are looking for an ultra warm, mids-forward presentation, then bird will likely fall short. It’s mids are more on the laid-back side, to accompany the deep soundstage.

Short list, but I know one fella who sold his off because he preferred more aggressive mids

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #29,965 of 39,414
Lack of a dynamic driver could be a reason for some.:)

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #29,966 of 39,414
Lack of a dynamic driver could be a reason for some.:)
That's literally the only reason I can think of for me personally not to own it (aside from the cost, but that goes without saying). And even then its BA woofers sound better than many DDs I've heard. But yeah, that's one rule I won't break, at least until BAs can defy the laws of physics.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #29,967 of 39,414
That's literally the only reason I can think of for me personally not to own it (aside from the cost, but that goes without saying). And even then its BA woofers sound better than many DDs I've heard. But yeah, that's one rule I won't break, at least until BAs can defy the laws of physics.

That took a while, no Dynamic Driver, this is the best justification not to buy the Traillii besides the price. Did that un-sell you Greysongreen? If so our job is done.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #29,969 of 39,414
That took a while, no Dynamic Driver, this is the best justification not to buy the Traillii besides the price. Did that un-sell you Greysongreen? If so our job is done.
Not really :sweat_smile: It literally ticks all my boxes haha! Hmm, it looks like I'm paying a lot for the included (premium)cable with the fiery birds, not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

As it stands: One "lil" bird(s) or an Asguardian king aka EE Odin along with Elysium or VE8 (I'm sure I would be happy with either choices).

My IEM collection thus far is "pretty poor" by a TOTL-standard and I'm a fan of having at least two exceptional "pieces" to swap around with.

Oh well exciting times ahead...along with some thinking... Hope you all are having a lovely saturday!

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #29,970 of 39,414
Not really :sweat_smile: It literally ticks all my boxes haha! Hmm, it looks like I'm paying a lot for the included (premium)cable with the fiery birds, not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

As it stands: One "lil" bird(s) or an Asguardian king aka EE Odin along with Elysium or VE8 (I'm sure I would be happy with either choices).

My IEM collection thus far is "pretty poor" by a TOTL-standard and I'm a fan of having at least two exceptional "pieces" to swap around with.

Oh well exciting times ahead...along with some thinking... Hope you all are having a lovely saturday!
Saturday is almost over here. Long day, park and market, cafe for lunch, beach for an hour, hiking for a couple, sushi dinner, now back at hotel, after a quick stop at a petsmart for supplies for my daughters roommate her rabbit Evy.

Got the Ely’s in from the P6 Pro listening to Oh Sees Face Stabber. Getting ready to call it in the books. Tomorrow flight home.

I have been for the past Month doing the Traillii during the day, and the Elysium at night. Did not bring the M8 this trip and missing it. Today walking about I used the PAW6000.

Life is good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back