flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #25,787 of 39,414
For my ears, the Adv Eartune Fidelity U tips really help reduce Odin's upper mid presence & provide the deepest fit possible. Prior to that, I was using the Azla Sedna Shorts with them, also a pretty good combo.

By the way, you can also send the Stormbreaker cable to PW Audio and they can re-terminate it to 4.4mm for you. FB74A814-ABE4-4F1D-BC51-54A4F1AA29BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #25,788 of 39,414
After my Traillii review quite a few mentioned that comparison was incomplete without Erlkonig. But when I got my hands on Erl, I didn't have Traillii anymore. Now, got another chance to audition it and finally to spend more time with a proper a/b comparison since I don't trust my ears going by memory.

I added the comparison toward the end of Comparison section in my Traillii review. I know, I know, these are in a megabuck category (vs kilobuck) and Erl is discontinued and sold out. But it seems like there are quite a few Erl owners in this thread who asked me about this comparison, so, here you go.

oriolus-traillii-27_vs_erl.jpg

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #25,789 of 39,414
After my Traillii review quite a few mentioned that comparison was incomplete without Erlkonig. But when I got my hands on Erl, I didn't have Traillii anymore. Now, got another chance to audition it and finally to spend more time with a proper a/b comparison since I don't trust my ears going by memory.

I added the comparison toward the end of Comparison section in my Traillii review. I know, I know, these are in a megabuck category (vs kilobuck) and Erl is discontinued and sold out. But it seems like there are quite a few Erl owners in this thread who asked me about this comparison, so, here you go.

Nice nice

The battle of the TITANS. Did the earth shattered yet? Those musta be ludacrisiously mega good sounding iems 🤩🤩🤩

But dang no DD so no fun 🧐
Would love to hear those one day😃

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #25,790 of 39,414
For my ears, the Adv Eartune Fidelity U tips really help reduce Odin's upper mid presence & provide the deepest fit possible. Prior to that, I was using the Azla Sedna Shorts with them, also a pretty good combo.

By the way, you can also send the Stormbreaker cable to PW Audio and they can re-terminate it to 4.4mm for you.FB74A814-ABE4-4F1D-BC51-54A4F1AA29BC.jpeg
I used the normal Sednas, it gives a bit of room to keep earwax away from the nozzles. I should consider getting a vac as well.

I considered having PW reterminate my Stormbreaker, but a number of factors added up:
1. Just didn't like the y-split, it's quite pointy
2. Cost of making sure my cable got there in a decent amount of time and safely is pretty hefty and given the shipping with the holidays and pandemic it's been all over the place.
3. I would be cableless for a nth amount of time as my M4 was in the post getting the grills fixed

It worked out with the Musicteck Black Friday sale. I got to pass on the Stormbreaker to a local friend and essentially worked around the issued for the same cost and sending it off.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #25,791 of 39,414
Nice nice

The battle of the TITANS. Did the earth shattered yet? Those musta be ludacrisiously mega good sounding iems 🤩🤩🤩

But dang no DD so no fun 🧐
Would love to hear those one day😃

Well, the actual fun here is that neither of them have DD, yet they reproduce the bass as good or even better than most of the hybrids I heard. But yeah, each one is $5k titan (going by Erl Limited Black Edition price at the time of being discontinued and Traillii black Friday sales).

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #25,792 of 39,414

Nice reading this battle of the Titans. Wish there were more in-depth comparison but it is time consuming and hard to find. Thank you.

Looks like Odin wins the best bang for the bucks :relaxed: 11-drivers with triple complex tech battling with the best of the best (crazy expensive IEMs).

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #25,793 of 39,414
Nice reading this battle of the Titans. Wish there were more in-depth comparison but it is time consuming and hard to find. Thank you.

Looks like Odin wins the best bang for the bucks :relaxed: 11-drivers with triple complex tech battling with the best of the best (crazy expensive IEMs).

It's the end of the year and I'm burned out... But since I know you guys LOVE your graphs :wink:, maybe some will find this helpful. The difference between these two Titans "looks" the same as it "sounds"

traillii_vs_erlkonig.png

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #25,794 of 39,414
Well, the actual fun here is that neither of them have DD, yet they reproduce the bass as good or even better than most of the hybrids I heard. But yeah, each one is $5k titan (going by Erl Limited Black Edition price at the time of being discontinued and Traillii black Friday sales).

Madness !

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #25,795 of 39,414

I have zero familiarity with this brand, but your write up piqued my interest ... then I saw the price! 🤯

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #25,796 of 39,414
I have zero familiarity with this brand, but your write up piqued my interest ... then I saw the price! 🤯

You are in Nic's thread after all where quite a few people own multiple kilobuck iems and cables :wink: In the rest of head-fi they greet you with "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet". In this thread the greeting is "welcome to Nic's thread, sorry about your kids college fund" :D

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #25,797 of 39,414
You are in Nic's thread after all where quite a few people own multiple kilobuck iems and cables :wink: In the rest of head-fi they greet you with "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet". In this thread the greeting is "welcome to Nic's thread, sorry about your kids college fund" :D
Crap, we've been exposed sweats nervously hiding iems and cables.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #25,798 of 39,414

6K must make this the most expensive IEM released after the blinged out version of the qdc VX at $12K.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #25,800 of 39,414
i will share again my formula of 'how much of a great buy my iem is ' , but i am sure most people here would be dissapointed with the results (but who cares when you have money to spend on freakishly expensive iems, right ?)

let's call X the greatness , the smaller the X number the bigger the 'great buy' ratio

X = ( Price in dollars / months of use ) x total numbers of iems in use (not how many you have , but how many you actually use/rotate between)

for my Zeus XR , i get an X = 35

share your X (i expect most people to be >100 though if not >1000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back