flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #24,286 of 39,414
I guess it is mostly just disappointment with Ifi's choice to make the Signature a limited edition when so many people (myself included) have been interested in seeing just this update for the Micro BL.

These days, "Limited Edition" doesn't always mean that. If it were truly limited, wouldn't Ifi have given us a production run number?

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #24,287 of 39,414
Oct 11, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #24,288 of 39,414
Oct 11, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #24,289 of 39,414
Hello fiends and friends! Been a while. Thought you might enjoy my take on these sweet cans from Kennerton. They're called Magni. I think many here might find them right up their alley.

Hey Pinky! Nice to see you around again. Hope you have been keeping well!
These days, "Limited Edition" doesn't always mean that. If it were truly limited, wouldn't Ifi have given us a production run number?
Indeed that, and it did occur to me that "Limited Edition" usually implies it is a special version of something that is regularly available. For instance, Lotoo has the LPGT Ti, which is a special version of the LPGT. As well as some tweaks, Lotoo used different materials for the Ti that would likely not be suitable for regular production. With the Ifi Signature, it is not a special version of something that exists in regular production and (at first glance) does not seem to be using materials that would prevent regular production. Rather everything about it feels like an update of the Micro BL and a good one at that. My hope is that Ifi decide to soon release a regular production version (maybe in black instead of blue, to distinguish between them) or simply decide to keep the Signature in regular production.

Oct 11, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #24,290 of 39,414
Indeed that, and it did occur to me that "Limited Edition" usually implies it is a special version of something that is regularly available. For instance, Lotoo has the LPGT Ti, which is a special version of the LPGT. As well as some tweaks, Lotoo used different materials for the Ti that would likely not be suitable for regular production. With the Ifi Signature, it is not a special version of something that exists in regular production and (at first glance) does not seem to be using materials that would prevent regular production. Rather everything about it feels like an update of the Micro BL and a good one at that. My hope is that Ifi decide to soon release a regular production version (maybe in black instead of blue, to distinguish between them) or simply decide to keep the Signature in regular production.

I hope it's not an end-of-life edition before something completely new comes out but that's the way of the world sometimes. I really want to put in a preorder as it ticks all my boxes (although I do not know for sure if it can drive and charge at the same time - looking at the user documents I don't think so) but might wait for a review or two to see if the updates are worth the cost. Otherwise the BL version would do.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #24,291 of 39,414
Hello fiends and friends! Been a while. Thought you might enjoy my take on these sweet cans from Kennerton. They're called Magni. I think many here might find them right up their alley.

Welcome back Pinky. Great review as always from you. I LOVE the Kennerton can's. I felt that they had the best sounding under 3k can a couple of years ago when I did a shootout. I didn't want to spend that much on can's as I have most of my money in my 2 channel system so I bought Ori's from ZMF, but the Kennerton folks know what they are doing. They make an OEM for a small audio company who sells only off the net. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #24,292 of 39,414
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #24,294 of 39,414
I'm reaching a similar point as you. I've found a trio that really, really works for me right now (Sultan, Thummim, A18S), and the only real expenditure left is to get a mad tuned up Sultan with some insane faceplates. I'm shipping @Damz87 my Sultan (or well now his Sultan) tomorrow or so, because I'm crazy obsessed with visuals and want to see how far I can take that too :D

I'll be sharing more about the HP side of things in my thread, but I believe I may have found the first of a few endgame setups (that being Diana V2 into GSX Mini into Hugo2), but it needs some more testing before I can 100% confirm it's a "complete" setup, and also to try it out with some cheaper DACs to see if I will lose out on any performance in the process. I'll definitely be jumping into HP reviews from the perspective I mentioned above - how far can I get a TOTL pair of HPs with a not so TOTL amp and DAC - one of the main things that was stopping me from getting into HPs was the very fact every other dude recommends a 5000$ amp and I personally just refuse to believe that's how it is
Did u try Hifiman he1000se , if not consider it with chord tt2 and u r done

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #24,295 of 39,414
Did u try Hifiman he1000se , if not consider it with chord tt2 and u r done
Really not a fan of Hifiman... hate the look and all the QC issues are a big turn off

I tried the TT2 recently and loved it with IEMs but found it a little sterile and thin with some headphones

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #24,296 of 39,414
Really not a fan of Hifiman... hate the look and all the QC issues are a big turn off

I tried the TT2 recently and loved it with IEMs but found it a little sterile and thin with some headphones
Well to me it’s end game and we all differ although I myself despise thin sterile sound and that setup is far from being sterile thin
He1000se for me beat abyss 1266, lcd4, susvara, utopia, Zmf verity, Stax 007 mk2 and all the headphones in my profile . It literally stopped me for, buying any new flagship for almost a year and a half

It has a big engaging sound that is full and handles all genres

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #24,297 of 39,414
Well to me it’s end game and we all differ although I myself despise thin sterile sound
He1000se for me beat abyss 1266, lcd4, susvara, utopia, Zmf verity, Stax 007 mk2 and all the headphones in my profile . It literally stopped me for, buying any new flagship for almost a year and a half

It has a big engaging sound that is full and handles all genres
The visual aspect is a big part of the hobby for me too though, and the teardrop shape of Hifiman is something I could never really get behind :frowning2:

I have a Verite C coming tomorrow and I’m absolutely loving my Diana V2 right now, the headphone journey is finally on a good track!

My next headphone of special interest is the Abyss Diana Phi actually, I think that might work as an awesome counterpart to the Diana V2

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #24,298 of 39,414
The visual aspect is a big part of the hobby for me too though, and the teardrop shape of Hifiman is something I could never really get behind :frowning2:

I have a Verite C coming tomorrow and I’m absolutely loving my Diana V2 right now, the headphone journey is finally on a good track!

My next headphone of special interest is the Abyss Diana Phi actually, I think that might work as an awesome counterpart to the Diana V2

Nice start which is an endgame start :)

I started my home system setup Harbeth 5shl plus 40th anniversary with Avid integra amp , that is the most natural engaging sound I ever heard wish there is portable sound like my home system

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #24,299 of 39,414
Nice start which is an endgame start :)
Yeah this time I literally went straight to the top to try and avoid the usual upgrade cycle...

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #24,300 of 39,414
Yeah this time I literally went straight to the top to try and avoid the usual upgrade cycle...
I tried that. That Khan shaped hole in my pocket is the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back