flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #23,972 of 39,414
please tell us more about it when you wish :thumbsup:
I'm not good at reviewing but I've got a very good first impression.
It's a very balanced and flat sounding IEM. All the MICRO details can be heard easily. It can perform very well on all high mid and low.
When you wanna hear the guitar sound, the guitar sound pops out.

Overall, I think it's the IEM that you should try.
It's the best EST IEM for me.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #23,973 of 39,414
I'd love to hear what the Cayin tube DAPs have to offer but wouldn't use one myself given their lack of Android. Hopefully tubes in a DAP will catch on as an option and we'll see some full-featured Android DAPs sporting little glowing tubes soon enough.
Shanling looks like they have implemented Korg tubes in their upcoming M30, which will have an open-Android module an as option. It is a transportable though and not a DAP.
1600256179389.png

I would like to go for tubes, but then a full size amp. I understand that the Feliks Audio Euforia is clean enough to use IEMs, which would make it a surprisingly versatile tube amp. Too expensive for me at the moment though. Might consider selling my EE Phantom at some point to help me fund my venture into desktop gear.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #23,974 of 39,414
Hey guys, anyone has tried Amazon Music HD yet?

I am just trying it out (3 months for free) as we finally have it in France and I must say it looks and sound pretty good... I currently have a Tidal Master subscription but the app has it quirks and I miss the great Spotify suggestions (when oh when will they go HD ???)... I am in the process of importing all my stuff with freeyourmusic.com and it seems like there are very few tracks missing (contrary to Qobuz). The app is much faster and the SQ seems legit. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #23,975 of 39,414
@Wyville it's time for a mid-week lovely doggie pics post :xf_cool:

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #23,976 of 39,414
Hey guys, anyone has tried Amazon Music HD yet?

I am just trying it out (3 months for free) as we finally have it in France and I must say it looks and sound pretty good... I currently have a Tidal Master subscription but the app has it quirks and I miss the great Spotify suggestions (when oh when will they go HD ???)... I am in the process of importing all my stuff with freeyourmusic.com and it seems like there are very few tracks missing (contrary to Qobuz). The app is much faster and the SQ seems legit. Thoughts?
Definitely interested especially because I have Amazon Prime as is. The trouble is it was only unveiled in some specific locations in Europe (one of them being France), so for the time being I can't really access or try it out :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #23,977 of 39,414
I found Amazon Music HD a bit weird when it said it detected DAP to play at 192khz but only played at 44.1khz. There's apparently a bug for this, I think AK has one, read that in SE200 forum, and it didn't work so great with DX220 when it came out. Currently I have a year of Tidal Master's so I'm good, but I'll get Qobuz too when I get the R8 for classical music. Spotify i use for gym, love their suggestions and podcasts!

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #23,978 of 39,414
I found Amazon Music HD a bit weird when it said it detected DAP to play at 192khz but only played at 44.1khz. There's apparently a bug for this, I think AK has one, read that in SE200 forum, and it didn't work so great with DX220 when it came out. Currently I have a year of Tidal Master's so I'm good, but I'll get Qobuz too when I get the R8 for classical music. Spotify i use for gym, love their suggestions and podcasts!
Realistically the day Spotify goes HiFi it's over for Tidal Qobuz etc etc :D

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #23,984 of 39,414
There have been rumours from "those in the know" (audio press were reporting it) saying Spotify were thinking about it more than 3 years now, yet they don't appear any closer to doing it than they were when these rumours began. Things have just gone dark on this, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #23,985 of 39,414
I really like Amazon music HD. I’ve been using it for the past several months and prefer it to tidal for sure from a user experience perspective and they seem to have much more music I want to listen to in HiRes (what they call ultra hd) than either tidal or Qobuz. In terms of sound quality, I certainly find amazon’s ultra hd tracks comparable to tidal Masters—on some tracks I prefer the amazon HD versions, on others I prefer tidal.
As far as the bitrate issue with android, I know that amazon had did have an issue with recognizing the full capacity of the DACs in DAPs with certain SOCs (playing a max of 44 or 48khz when the sac supports 192khz) however, at least for the SP1000m there is a work around. If you first play a 192khz file (outside of amazon hd) and then open amazon had while that track is playing, amazon will recognize that the dac supports 192khz file playback and will correctly play all the amazon ultra hd tracks at their max bitrate supported (the ultra hd files max out at 192khz, though not all have that high a bitrate). One thing I really like about Amazon HD on my SP1000m is that you can see what bitrate the file is playing, what the software views at the max bitrate your dac supports, and what the max file bitrate for the file is, so you can check if things are playing at their highest possible quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back