flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #18,541 of 39,414
This thread has screwed me once again.

Placing an order for a Fusion and a Katana reshell damn

@Deezel177 reading your reviews and impressions is more expensive than a weekend vacation in st tropez

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #18,544 of 39,414
I decided to order the Fusion based on Deezel177's review as well. I have spent a lot of money based on reviews on this forum...:gs1000smile: I will literally have a stable of 4 TOTL CIEMs now.

Tell me about it, wait till you have double that :p

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #18,546 of 39,414
This thread has screwed me once again.

Placing an order for a Fusion and a Katana reshell damn

@Deezel177 reading your reviews and impressions is more expensive than a weekend vacation in st tropez

Vacation? What’s that? :p

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #18,547 of 39,414
Ear impressions done, I was 100% committed to getting a pair of Elysium, but there isn't a lot of information about them. @mvvRAZ has given me his very good opinion, but before I place an order for the Elysium over the VE8 I wanted to hear if anyone has listened to both, and what their opinions/preferences for each would be. I also own an A12t, so I am looking for somthing to compliment it, from what I am hearing the detail and separation are outstanding, which is somthing I want to improve over the A12t, but I am worried about the Elysium's ability to play more intense, less vocal music, such as metal, EDM, rap. For a frame of reference, I love how the Campfire Andromedas sound, but I'd like some more timbre and clarity to them. My favorite IEM is the Fourte (not noir), but I feel like it is lacking the mids and also has a bit of a robotic sound...great soundstage width though.

I know a lot of people love the VE8, so I am also considering that. Has anyone gotten that with the optional 'Ambience System'?

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #18,548 of 39,414
Vacation? What’s that? :p
Between a vacation and a new IEM I’m only itching for one I’ll tell you that :wink:

We’ll see how much playing time the Fusion will get, but it will certainly be a fun addition to the collection

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #18,549 of 39,414
Ear impressions done, I was 100% committed to getting a pair of Elysium, but there isn't a lot of information about them. @mvvRAZ has given me his very good opinion, but before I place an order for the Elysium over the VE8 I wanted to hear if anyone has listened to both, and what their opinions/preferences for each would be. I also own an A12t, so I am looking for somthing to compliment it, from what I am hearing the detail and separation are outstanding, which is somthing I want to improve over the A12t, but I am worried about the Elysium's ability to play more intense, less vocal music, such as metal, EDM, rap. For a frame of reference, I love how the Campfire Andromedas sound, but I'd like some more timbre and clarity to them. My favorite IEM is the Fourte (not noir), but I feel like it is lacking the mids and also has a bit of a robotic sound...great soundstage width though.

I know a lot of people love the VE8, so I am also considering that. Has anyone gotten that with the optional 'Ambience System'?

Unless the VE system is different (and In happy to be corrected), ambient ports are mainly used by stage musicians to break IEM seal and let in the "crowd noise", to avoid feeling cut off from the audience. Not sure how much benefit that sort of thing would be purely for audiophile use?

Good link explaining traditional CIEM ambient ports here:

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/what-are-ambient-ports.html

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #18,550 of 39,414
Oh I imagined the 'ambient port' was kinda like the Apex in that it negated air pressure a bit...ok that's off the table

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #18,551 of 39,414
Oh I imagined the 'ambient port' was kinda like the Apex in that it negated air pressure a bit...ok that's off the table
It might do... ask VE about it, they’re really responsive

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #18,552 of 39,414
The only other people I've seen doing those sort of ports apart from 64 Audio, Fir and InEarz (?) are Hear Wave from the UK (they call theirs the Govnor). Not sure if they have put it in their CIEM stuff yet tho.

Don't have the access to the IEM candy stores in Singapore, Japan and HK though being a Brit, so sure they might well be done more manufacturers out there doing this sort of stuff now!

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #18,553 of 39,414

Based on every bit of criteria you mentioned above, I’d suggest the ELYSIUM over the VE8. Contrary to popular belief, the ELYSIUM isn’t a vocal-forward IEM at all. It actually has a greater emphasis on clarity and air. It’s just that its midrange is so gosh-darn dynamic, textured and vivid, that it instantly grabs your attention without being forwardly-positioned. So, even with genres like EDM or metal - where headroom, dynamism and impact are required - the ELYSIUM works perfectly well too. It’s also everything you’ve asked for above; an Andromeda with greater texture and clarity, most of the Fourte’s spaciousness with greater midrange presence and soul to it, etc.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #18,554 of 39,414
Based on every bit of criteria you mentioned above, I’d suggest the ELYSIUM over the VE8. Contrary to popular belief, the ELYSIUM isn’t a vocal-forward IEM at all. It actually has a greater emphasis on clarity and air. It’s just that its midrange is so gosh-darn dynamic, textured and vivid, that it instantly grabs your attention without being forwardly-positioned. So, even with genres like EDM or metal - where headroom, dynamism and impact are required - the ELYSIUM works perfectly well too. It’s also everything you’ve asked for above; an Andromeda with greater texture and clarity, most of the Fourte’s spaciousness with greater midrange presence and soul to it, etc.

Thanks so much! That really does help and it supports what @mvvRAZ has been saying and what I’ve been hoping. I’ll go for it and let everyone know my thoughts!

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #18,555 of 39,414
In order words... The Ely is DA REAL MVP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back