flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 16, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #18,241 of 39,414
Received Elysium and Erlköning today. Having a hard time to find good seal within my stock of tips.... :sweat:

I am sure you’ll find the right ones :)
I know the Erlkönig had an amazing fit for a universal... tips always require some playing around...

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #18,242 of 39,414
Yeah but nozzle is pretty large and long for my small ear canal... Either do I get a sleppery seal comming out after short time, or insufficient one... I'll have to work out this situation.

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #18,244 of 39,414
I also found myself in the situation of getting tips stuck in my ear after they slipped off the Erlkonig's nozzle
One more reason I decided to go custom back in the day. Fishing out an ear tip when your boss wants a word at work is not a good idea!

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #18,245 of 39,414
Nice and thanks for sharing... I was not aware of NCM... is that the BELLA v1 or v2?
I gather there are tuning differences between the 2 models...

You beat me to the punch... Daniel is bad for our wallets :wink:
Hello David. Not sure if Collin got back to you on your Bella question. I am slow at getting to threads these days and this thread is my favorite.

That is Bella V2. V1 has more of a fun signature. V2 is more detailed. Very W like signature. I therefore called my review of it “mature fun”:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ncm-bella-v2.23782/

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #18,248 of 39,414
Hello David. Not sure if Collin got back to you on your Bella question. I am slow at getting to threads these days and this thread is my favorite.

That is Bella V2. V1 has more of a fun signature. V2 is more detailed. Very W like signature. I therefore called my review of it “mature fun”:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ncm-bella-v2.23782/

Thanks for the pointer, off to reading this :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #18,249 of 39,414
Thanks for the pointer, off to reading this :)
Your wallet:
VMV9Bxw_700wa_0.gif

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #18,250 of 39,414
Finally managed to have a seal, but my ear canals are fully raped

Ouch! But I deeply (pardon the pun) respect your dedication there. :D

I do think I have a problem though. Someone posts a picture of the Elysium and as soon as I see it I spend ten minutes on google to figure out the book in the background because it had the words "l'histoire" and "Descarte" on it.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #18,252 of 39,414
@subguy812 Dream XLS is now available for purchase on Music Teck. How are those sound impressions coming along? Very, very curious :)

-Collin-

You know, I always wondered what was really inside one of those gold Wonka Bars...

XLS-Tease-4 (1)-S.jpg

'Turns out it's one fiiiiine-looking pair of IEMs. :D

XLS-Tease-2 (1)-S.jpg

I've been running them in for the past couple days, but initial impressions suggest a signature that's quite different from both the original Dream (if I remember it correctly) and its contemporaries, such as Sennheiser's IE800S or FAudio's Major. While those IEMs typically possess a more v-shaped response, the XLS is the opposite. There's more of an emphasis on the midrange here, while the extremes remain neutral. If you had the original Dream on one end of the spectrum, and Custom Art's FIBAE 7 and Lime Ears' Aether R on the other, the XLS would probably lie somewhere in-between; vibrant and lightly rich with an emphasis on transparency. While perhaps not as full-bodied as the FIBAE 7 (especially along the low-mids) or as saturated as the Aether R, it does straddle the line beautifully between forwardness and airiness. More importantly, its timbre is now more uniform across the board, with similar amounts of body and warmth between the lows, mids and highs. To my ears, it results in a more natural tint of reference, whereas the original was closer to neutral with deviations along the lows and low-treble for dynamic contrast.

However, this tonal detour hasn't harmed technical performance at all. DITA's trademark cleanliness, definition and refinement are all there, and they've been raised over the original through superior top-end extension. Resolution is more effortless and stable, despite the light warmth those midrange notes now have. And, the stage - while perhaps not as noticeably airy because of the upper-midrange rise - sports greater background stability and precision to my ears. Instruments are closer to you, unlike the original, which tended to push instruments to the far reaches of the stage. But, there's still a lot of space behind them to resonate and breathe. And, that boost in extension extends (no pun intended) to the bass as well. On tracks like Pusha-T's If You Know You Know, the lows sit a touch behind the lead vocal. But, weight and physicality are both there. It’s a very only-appears-when-called-upon low-end, which I believe suits the transparent, near-field-reference-speaker signature the XLS is going for. The contra bass on David Benoit’s Cast Your Fate To The Wind won’t suddenly have the rumble of an electric one. But, listen to the kick and toms on a track like Dirty Loops’ Work crap Out, and you'll get impact and sustain in spades.

I think this is where I should end my initial impressions, lest I spoil the rest of my First Look article coming in the near future. 'Hope this helps you, Collin, though I can't necessarily say the same for your wallet. :p

XLS-Tease-1 (1)-S.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #18,253 of 39,414
Oct 18, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #18,254 of 39,414
Collin here are some initial thoughts on the Dita Dream XLS. As with the original these are improving daily with seasoning. I would say I have between 50-75 hours of burn-in on them. Sorry for the delay, real life happens, cant spend all day playing with my hobby. :ksc75smile:

https://audiorabbithole.com/dita-dream-xls-preview/

20191010_183226.jpg

Edit: I just noticed the pictures Deezel posted. That must be the free review samples sent out, when I posted the first photos of the XLS a few days ago, mine included the entire retail package. For the majority reading this you can see this at the bottom of the page https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...nd-portable-audio-discussion.826876/page-1209 to know what you will receive.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #18,255 of 39,414
Collin here are some initial thoughts on the Dita Dream XLS. As with the original these are improving daily with seasoning. I would say I have between 50-75 hours of burn-in on them. Sorry for the delay, real life happens, cant spend all day playing with my hobby. :ksc75smile:

https://audiorabbithole.com/dita-dream-xls-preview/

Edit: I just noticed the pictures Deezel posted. That must be the free review samples sent out, when I posted the first photos of the XLS a few days ago, mine included the entire retail package. For the majority reading this you can see this at the bottom of the page https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...nd-portable-audio-discussion.826876/page-1209 to know what you will receive.

Nope, I received the full retail packaging as well. I just took out the compartment that held the IEMs, because I couldn’t resist making that Wonka bar joke. :D Besides, I was aware you posted the full retail packaging beforehand anyway, so I didn’t think a photo of the full box would be necessary for the thread. I’ll save my box shot for the full review. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back