flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 13, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #18,166 of 39,414
Don't forget itsfit Lab's Fusion as well, but something tells me it won't be itsfit's flagship for too much longer... :wink:
Which little bird told you that?
Man, I really don't need this kind of information right now, or ever. Please be fake news, just please.

Oct 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #18,167 of 39,414
Also on the topic of TOTL without sky high prices, I want to call the NCM Bella out again. Nine driver hybrid (8ba, 1dd) and around $1k USD. Stellar sound quality with a solid low end punch, sparkly treble and a high level of craftsmanship. @thomaskr has a real winner with that IEM. A worthy consideration. I got one on loan and still want to buy one once I get my inventory into the single digits :)
-Collin-

Nice and thanks for sharing... I was not aware of NCM... is that the BELLA v1 or v2?
I gather there are tuning differences between the 2 models...

... Man, I really don't need this kind of information right now, or ever. Please be fake news, just please.

You beat me to the punch... Daniel is bad for our wallets :wink:

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #18,168 of 39,414
Man, I really don't need this kind of information right now, or ever. Please be fake news, just please.

giphy.gif

... it's all about decisions...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #18,169 of 39,414
Fair point... a lot of people though consider TOTL in the 2-4K range... TOTL price (these days) vs TOTL performance :p

Still you’re right it would be nice to open TOTL to people who can’t afford them. ChiFi is surely helping people he cause as well.. curious about IEMs like Fearless Roland

My point was more along the lines of decently priced TOTL, eg with fair margins. Some (few) shops keep it real others (most) ust ride the trend...

I remember when TOTL peaked at 1K.

Luckily you also have great gear at decent prices like Meze 99 classics for headphones or ChiFi IEM at 2/300$ that get you 75% of the way. I loved IT01S at 200 for example and the Rhapsodio Orla is great at 300. But even Japanese Final E5000 was such a treat at 250. There is hope yet :)

Now headfi gear is far away from most people with low quality gear for sure... those people just go “what!?!” when you tell them about your gear price... they don’t even imagine the performance and enjoyability of hifi gear... they would be blown away... I have witnessed this several times...
Ehhh on the whole fair margins... even the biggest companies in the industry make a couple of million revenue at the very best and their labor costs are crazy. I think the current price point is probably the most optimal one that will ensure these companies don’t start trying to compromise on quality service etc to stay in business

I’ve also had a bunch of people wow at the gear haha but nobody who actually went and purchased something of the sort after a listen

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #18,170 of 39,414
IMG_20191013_091544_resized_20191013_091629122.jpg

I personally experience something completely new these days. It's called contentment :)
Like David is about to do i could easily sell all my gear and just keep the Elysium (with stock cable) and the VE8 (with Leo 2)...and my beloved SP1000m.

It doesn't matter what i throw @ the Elysium... it sounds just perfect for me. We've already passed the honeymoon period so i don't lie to myself when i say it's deep love without erotic ambitions. Hopefully this (erotic ambitions) won't ever happen.
The Elysium just shows up the perfect mix of everything to my ears. Just the right amount of bass combined with the sweetest, most natural sounding mids (so far) and a treble extension that doesn't leave me wanting anything more. What a sexy performance....

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #18,173 of 39,414

I personally experience something completely new these days. It's called contentment :)
Like David is about to do i could easily sell all my gear and just keep the Elysium (with stock cable) and the VE8 (with Leo 2)...and my beloved SP1000m.

It doesn't matter what i throw @ the Elysium... it sounds just perfect for me. We've already passed the honeymoon period so i don't lie to myself when i say it's deep love without erotic ambitions. Hopefully this (erotic ambitions) won't ever happen.
The Elysium just shows up the perfect mix of everything to my ears. Just the right amount of bass combined with the sweetest, most natural sounding mids (so far) and a treble extension that doesn't leave me wanting anything more. What a sexy performance....
Fully agreed. I used to listen to a variety of IEMs, now I’m mostly forcing myself to use anything else

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #18,174 of 39,414
Also on the topic of TOTL without sky high prices, I want to call the NCM Bella out again. Nine driver hybrid (8ba, 1dd) and around $1k USD. Stellar sound quality with a solid low end punch, sparkly treble and a high level of craftsmanship. @thomaskr has a real winner with that IEM. A worthy consideration. I got one on loan and still want to buy one once I get my inventory into the single digits :)

-Collin-

The Bella (v1) is a great sounding IEM - I was on the fence about buying one after I reviewed it as well.

Another good "reasonable" TOTL is the Stealth Sonics U9/C9 - the custom is a fee hundred more than the uni version, bit both are very capable performers in the higher end space for Campfire Audio sort of prices. The C9 is in my top 3 IEMs list at the moment.

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #18,175 of 39,414
Don't forget itsfit Lab's Fusion as well, but something tells me it won't be itsfit's flagship for too much longer... :wink:

Fantastic news.
I appreciate a lot my Fusion.
This is a iem with great imaging.
The resolution is very nice too.

So if they create a new flagship it will be Amazing.

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #18,177 of 39,414
Thanks!

And yeah for now it's circumstantial - I don't quite have a space in our apt that I can set up as a listening station without my wife throwing a shoe at me, and our daughter sometimes sleeps in our room, so I need to be able to listen in different rooms.

Our next move will have a place for a desktop setup for sure :beerchug:

PS: About the weight, I would just take it as a number until you try it. I had the Empyrean on loaner about 2 weeks ago, which is regarded as one of the most comfortable HPs out there, and while it was undoubtably lighter, I found the Auteur more comfortable overall, and unless you're planning on headbanging constantly while listening to music you will not likely notice them. And, they do also have the option to get it with the magnesium (lighter) chasis. Write up comparison on the below coming soon, but in short, I prefer the Auteur overall, but the Empyrean could be complementary in that it could be preferred with specific genres, but not as an all-rounder, IMO.

Nice.

As for the weight, I have a weak neck as a result of being in 2 car accidents. Even the HD800 (330g) gives me a neck pain every now and then.

Looking forward to your Empyrean vs Auteur comparison.

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #18,178 of 39,414
It's about time pithy did something pithy-like again.

Yesterday, I realized that the plastic used in the construction of my iems was actually softer than I expected. I decided to try fixing a problem that had been annoying me for quite a while. A component within the right ear of my iems had come loose and would frequently rattle about. It was also situated quite closely to the contacts of a set of the drivers inside. I decided to do something about it.

received_370669163580516_2.jpeg

I drilled a hole into the shell of the iem using a knife and a screwdriver, then used a thin piece of wire to move the loosened component. I attempted to re-adhere the component directly to the old adhesive strip inside the shell, but it was no longer patent and would not adhere.

Inked20191013_161135_2_LI.jpg

I decided to drill a second hole in order to gain more direct access to the loose component, and concurrently sealed the first hole using nail polish. The second hole was directly adjacent to the component, and fixing in place was just a matter of putting another glob of nail polish in order for the component to stick.

Inked20191013_184906_2_LI.jpg

The component has not moved since, however, the nail polish is still milky in color, indicating that it hasn't cured completely yet. In fact, the bubble that had formed wasn't present during the initial gluing. Hopefully, this adhesion will stay patent throughout the next month or so.

Inked20191013_161150_2_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #18,179 of 39,414
It's about time pithy did something pithy-like again.

Yesterday, I realized that the plastic used in the construction of my iems was actually softer than I expected. I decided to try fixing a problem that had been annoying me for quite a while. A component within the right ear of my iems had come loose and would frequently rattle about. It was also situated quite closely to the contacts of a set of the drivers inside. I decided to do something about it.

Well don't leave us in suspense, what happened? Acid Bath, sand paper, scissors or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back