flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 14, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #17,596 of 39,414
So new Parisian meetup, I got to listen to some interesting stuff I had never auditioned before :

Ambient Accoustic LAM7 custom which I had a decent fit with : set flat with all switch off, no nozzle filters on. Strong technical foundations, great soundstage and extension both ways with really good sub bass and balanced mid bass, medium are full sounding right amount of lower mids to me, there is body and nice textures maybe a tad too little upper mids but given the lively treble that’s maybe a wise choice. Overall quite a strong proposition with quite a flexible tuning available. Turning the +6dB bass boost pretty nice still not overly done. I didn’t have the chance to play further with switches.

But the real kick I got was out of the Unique Melody Maestro V2 (universal), out of SP1000 with the Horus strapped on : oh my... quite a combo, full sounding yet very articulate and musicality of the charts I was very very impressed especially by the medium tuning. And I am not a big fan of the SP1000 to begin with :p The musicality struck me the first second I put them on... wow. I tried to look up if it exist as CIEM but can’t seem to find the website? Have they stopped building them??? Anyway, this is one I took note of. I wished I had more than a few minutes with them...

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #17,597 of 39,414
So new Parisian meetup, I got to listen to some interesting stuff I had never auditioned before :

Ambient Accoustic LAM7 custom which I had a decent fit with : set flat with all switch off, no nozzle filters on. Strong technical foundations, great soundstage and extension both ways with really good sub bass and balanced mid bass, medium are full sounding right amount of lower mids to me, there is body and nice textures maybe a tad too little upper mids but given the lively treble that’s maybe a wise choice. Overall quite a strong proposition with quite a flexible tuning available. Turning the +6dB bass boost pretty nice still not overly done. I didn’t have the chance to play further with switches.

But the real kick I got was out of the Unique Melody Maestro V2 (universal), out of SP1000 with the Horus strapped on : oh my... quite a combo, full sounding yet very articulate and musicality of the charts I was very very impressed especially by the medium tuning. And I am not a big fan of the SP1000 to begin with :p The musicality struck me the first second I put them on... wow. I tried to look up if it exist as CIEM but can’t seem to find the website? Have they stopped building them??? Anyway, this is one I took note of. I wished I had more than a few minutes with them...

One of the most enjoyable audio insertions I get is when I listen to the UM Maestro V2. I attach the Leonidas/Thor II Bespoke cable to it. You describe it correctly. Articulate musicality.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #17,598 of 39,414
I'm totally surprised I can't find a dedicated Meze Audio thread for Empyrean on HF, unless I missed it (saw Jude's measurement thread and loaner program thread, but not a dedicated one). Either way, you guys might appreciate it here :wink: It has been years since I reviewed a pair of full size headphones, and these are truly special. Had it on on-loan for a few months, absolutely love 'em! Just posted my review.

meze_empyrean-25.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #17,599 of 39,414
I'm totally surprised I can't find a dedicated Meze Audio thread for Empyrean on HF, unless I missed it (saw Jude's measurement thread and loaner program thread, but not a dedicated one). Either way, you guys might appreciate it here :wink: It has been years since I reviewed a pair of full size headphones, and these are truly special. Had it on on-loan for a few months, absolutely love 'em! Just posted my review.

Not this one?: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meze-empyrean-the-first-isodynamic-hybrid-array-headphone.871859/

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #17,600 of 39,414
Aug 14, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #17,601 of 39,414

I really, really adored Unique Melody's entire V2 line. I almost bought a Miracle V2 myself, and they all do come in CIEM form. Unfortunately, they've now moved on to the V3 line, so the only way you can get a Maestro V2 is to get one used and reshell it.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #17,602 of 39,414

Thanks for that great review! Concerning your conclusion: The Focal Stellia (with a proper source and amplification) may point in the right direction. Of course it’s a different sound signature and not that open sounding (though quite open for a CB) but I preferred its clean sound over the warmer sound of the Empyrean when comparing them side by side. Technically they are on the same level (alas also their price) :wink:

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #17,603 of 39,414
For me this is the one that got away. Always wanted to hear the Maestro V2 and it topped my wish list before the Phantom, but I was never able to find a demo and did not dare blind-buy it. Have had a soft spot for UM ever since and no idea why because I never heard any of their models (had to pull out of the V3 tour). *sigh* One day... One day... :D

Was actually thinking about them last week, wondering what UM are up to these days. I have not seen much about the Maven and Mirage since those were announced.

Darn it! Someone is getting all the good stuff over these days... :D Time for a coffee and a good read! :nerd:

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #17,604 of 39,414
I really, really adored Unique Melody's entire V2 line. I almost bought a Miracle V2 myself, and they all do come in CIEM form. Unfortunately, they've now moved on to the V3 line, so the only way you can get a Maestro V2 is to get one used and reshell it.

Ok thanks, I got to audition a Miracle v2 as welll and loved it but did not mention it since it was a silicon reshell done by Custom Art and it has to alter the signature so it’s a unique not comparable item.

There are v2 around sold even on Penon Audio for example... so would they reshell it themselves or you have to find a third party? (Edit : found it, the official reseller is Music Tek it would seem...)

Is the V3 line very different?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #17,605 of 39,414
Ok thanks, I got to audition a Miracle v2 as welll and loved it but did not mention it since it was a silicon reshell done by Custom Art and it has to alter the signature so it’s a unique not comparable item.

There are v2 around sold even on Penon Audio for example... so would they reshell it themselves or you have to find a third party? (Edit : found it, the official reseller is Music Tek it would seem...)

Is the V3 line very different?

Well, I was able to reshell a Miracle v1 long after the v2 came out, so it should be possible. I’d recommend you ask UM or Andrew at MusicTeck to confirm. I reviewed the Mason v3 on THL and found it super spacious, but not-too-extraordinary for the price. The Mentor v3 was fun and impactful, but again a bit too niche and coloured for the price. I did not like the 3DD-Ti at all. I’ve heard lots of positive feedback about the Maven and Mirage; some calling it UM’s best since the old days. So, I’m definitely keen on giving ‘em a try.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #17,606 of 39,414
Thanks for that great review! Concerning your conclusion: The Focal Stellia (with a proper source and amplification) may point in the right direction. Of course it’s a different sound signature and not that open sounding (though quite open for a CB) but I preferred its clean sound over the warmer sound of the Empyrean when comparing them side by side. Technically they are on the same level (alas also their price) :wink:
I echo those sentiments...the Stellia is special. I do think they are quite open sounding for a closed back.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #17,607 of 39,414
I echo those sentiments...the Stellia is special. I do think they are quite open sounding for a closed back.

I had a hour with the Stellia and I liked what I heard, in fact I like it better than the Utopia, more punchy and fun!

Well, I was able to reshell a Miracle v1 long after the v2 came out, so it should be possible. I’d recommend you ask UM or Andrew at MusicTeck to confirm. I reviewed the Mason v3 on THL and found it super spacious, but not-too-extraordinary for the price. The Mentor v3 was fun and impactful, but again a bit too niche and coloured for the price. I did not like the 3DD-Ti at all. I’ve heard lots of positive feedback about the Maven and Mirage; some calling it UM’s best since the old days. So, I’m definitely keen on giving ‘em a try.

Thanks for the info and feedback on the v3... intrigued about the Mirage and Maven as well...

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #17,608 of 39,414
So I managed to a second cold just as my first one was winding down. Still regretting clearing house for the A6t, since customs during a cold for me don't play well (A universal would be nice) . Valk should arrive next week at my dealer but I'm out of town. Truly first world audiophile problems

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #17,609 of 39,414
So I managed to a second cold just as my first one was winding down. Still regretting clearing house for the A6t, since customs during a cold for me don't play well (A universal would be nice) . Valk should arrive next week at my dealer but I'm out of town. Truly first world audiophile problems

Wouldn't universals just aggravate the same issues as the ciems, or does the shallower insertion from universals not matter so much? Wish I could use universals full stop (stupid ears).

Aug 15, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #17,610 of 39,414
Wouldn't universals just aggravate the same issues as the ciems, or does the shallower insertion from universals not matter so much? Wish I could use universals full stop (stupid ears).
The shallower insertion is a lot better for me. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back