flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 30, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,726 of 39,414
I personally love my jh13fp and it probably wouldn't even make the list.

Joker ranked it just above the NT6 and the NT6 is ahead of the current ranked pack... as far as my daily driver, an Andromeda, I wish that were used instead of the Vega (also own that as well) - it's definitely the audiophile's choice from Campfire IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,730 of 39,414
Joker ranked it just above the NT6 and the NT6 is ahead of the current ranked pack... as far as my daily driver, an Andromeda, I wish that were used instead of the Vega (also own that as well) - it's definitely the audiophile's choice from Campfire IMO.

FB_IMG_1496146705872.jpg

May 30, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,732 of 39,414
Recently I got to hear the Maestro V2, and I was mighty impressed. One of the best sounding in-ears I've come across. I suspect it will be in the top 7 at least.

May 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,733 of 39,414
Recently I got to hear the Maestro V2, and I was mighty impressed. One of the best sounding in-ears I've come across. I suspect it will be in the top 7 at least.
I reviewed the Mentor V2 and really liked it I can only imagine the sound of the Maestro V2.

May 30, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,734 of 39,414
Nice :) I'm guessing top 5. Did you try the universal version? IDK about the Maestro 2 in detail, but I have its twin sibling the Mason 2. Contrary to what Nic said about the bass when recommending the Maestro 2 to someone. I find the Mason 2's bass quite satisfying. It extends low like my previous Oriolus 2, however it doesn't rumble as much.

What part do you like about it Pinky?

I reviewed the Mentor V2 and really liked it I can only imagine the sound of the Maestro V2.
I read your review :D Apparently so.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,736 of 39,414
Nice :) I'm guessing top 5. Did you try the universal version? IDK about the Maestro 2 in detail, but I have its twin sibling the Mason 2. Contrary to what Nic said about the bass when recommending the Maestro 2 to someone. I find the Mason 2's bass quite satisfying. It extends low like my previous Oriolus 2, however it doesn't rumble as much.

What part do you like about it Pinky?

I liked how balanced it was, with satisfying, quality bass, clear, detailed mids, and well-extended treble. And a very good soundstage.

May 31, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,737 of 39,414
I can say so far the Dream has some special qualities. I am struggling a little to achieve a good seal even with my Large Spiral Dot tips. Size wise they are really comfortable and the build quality is really nice. I have no issue with the connectors they are super snug. Believe what you read about them liking power, I am using my Opus#2 on high gain and still using a high volume. So far, out of the box, put them in your ears and smile, rinse and repeat. The sounstage is really fantastic and the bass is not really like any I have heard, it is deep and detailed. The Dream lay back but strike hard when necessary. I try to avoid statements like these IEM's sound like over ears but the Dream and the XRA's both are as close as I have heard to really making that claim. I am going to try to mainly listen to these over the next couple of weeks and burn-in at night as well. I can see why these have not yet been eliminated from the shootout.

20170530_170203.jpg 20170530_175121.jpg

May 31, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,738 of 39,414
Post over at my thread but figured I'll post here too since the topic is very relevant.

Here are the results of the small shootout I did between Fourte, A18, Flamenco (with all switches up), W900 and Zeus-R-ADEL, the five that (IMO) are at the top of the IEM game right now.

Bass quantity:
Fourte >= A18 >= W900 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Bass decay (slow -> fast)
Fourte > W900 > A18 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Mid forwardness
Zeus-RA > A18 > W900 = Flamenco > Fourte

Smooth -> Textured
W900 >= A18 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Warm -> Cold
A18 >= W900 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus

Treble sparkle/presence
Flamenco >= Zeus >= Fourte > A18 > W900

Soundstage width
Fourte > A18 >= W900 > Zeus > Flamenco

Soundstage depth
Fourte > Zeus >= W900 > A18 > Flamenco

I try to use less objective terms like "detail" since the technical differences between all five of these amazing IEMs mean nothing next to preference. I'll be hard pressed to call anything "the best" or better considering they play against each other's strengths and weaknesses.

That said, IMO the Fourte is absolutely stunning. Still would not buy one (I'm voting with my wallet and my wallet says no to the 3.6k price tag) but represents many things of what I want in an IEM. Can't wait for the future when the chamber technology is adopted by more companies at a much lower price point.

May 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,740 of 39,414
Post over at my thread but figured I'll post here too since the topic is very relevant.

Here are the results of the small shootout I did between Fourte, A18, Flamenco (with all switches up), W900 and Zeus-R-ADEL, the five that (IMO) are at the top of the IEM game right now.

Bass quantity:
Fourte >= A18 >= W900 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Bass decay (slow -> fast)
Fourte > W900 > A18 > Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Mid forwardness
Zeus-RA > A18 > W900 = Flamenco > Fourte

Smooth -> Textured
W900 >= A18 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus-RA

Warm -> Cold
A18 >= W900 > Fourte >= Flamenco > Zeus

Treble sparkle/presence
Flamenco >= Zeus >= Fourte > A18 > W900

Soundstage width
Fourte > A18 >= W900 > Zeus > Flamenco

Soundstage depth
Fourte > Zeus >= W900 > A18 > Flamenco

I try to use less objective terms like "detail" since the technical differences between all five of these amazing IEMs mean nothing next to preference. I'll be hard pressed to call anything "the best" or better considering they play against each other's strengths and weaknesses.

That said, IMO the Fourte is absolutely stunning. Still would not buy one (I'm voting with my wallet and my wallet says no to the 3.6k price tag) but represents many things of what I want in an IEM. Can't wait for the future when the chamber technology is adopted by more companies at a much lower price point.

Sorry if i may ask, but why in your honest unbiased opinion did you leave out the Dita Dream? I am in the hunt for my next IEM as well and personally i would pick Dita's current flagship over the Flamenco and the Zeus.

Also, what genre of music and what DAP (modded/unmodded) were you using when you tested the above mentioned IEMs? And were you also using Stock cables or 3rd party?

Pardon me if im asking too much but im just very curious :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back