flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #17,236 of 39,419
Fourte was pretty much fixed when they did the Trio hehe.

giphy.gif

Jokes aside, we'll see when it comes to the comparisons. :wink:

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #17,237 of 39,419
The LCD-i4 is not a compromise, it beats a lot of heavy weight headphones without breaking a sweat. :wink:
But if I was you I would probably wait for a second generation to come out (IMHO the LCD-i4 needs the Reveal plugin to work properly as it is tonally a bit skewed).

I hope you manage to try it soon somewhere as I look forward to your thoughts on it..
Yes, I hope so too. In any case I will have plenty of time, as there is no way that I am making large head-fi purchases any time soon. So I should have plenty of time to look around, try some options and make up my mind on where I want to go. Still need to get my hands on the Final Piano Forte some day as well and I am of course very curious where Audeze will go next with the form factor.

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #17,238 of 39,419
Looking forward to it! @Deezel177

any quasi-affordable 4w cable pairings? Didn’t enjoy it with Oslo or thor 2 4w, for opposite reasons (too relaxed/too contrasty), loved/hated it with Dita truth (hate has to do with ergonomics) currently mainly using Eros 2 4w, Dita at home, PW silver flash with recordings that are too thumpy. thx in advance!

and btw, are you liking it so far?

I got it about a week-and-half ago and the box still has shrink wrap on it. :D I haven’t had time at all to give it a listen, but its first comparison feature is coming up, so I’ll get to it. :wink:

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #17,239 of 39,419
I got it about a week-and-half ago and the box still has shrink wrap on it. :D I haven’t had time at all to give it a listen, but its first comparison feature is coming up, so I’ll get to it. :wink:

That's the dictionary definition of #firstworldreviewerproblems right there: gets $3800 flagship IEM in the mail, doesn't even OPEN it for a week he has so much other cool stuff to play with... :wink:

Looking forward to the review - it's out of my price bracket, but darker and more organic is definitely the way forward for any IEM for my preferences, so interested to hear what 64 have tweaked.

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #17,240 of 39,419
That's the dictionary definition of #firstworldreviewerproblems right there: gets $3800 flagship IEM in the mail, doesn't even OPEN it for a week he has so much other cool stuff to play with... :wink:

Looking forward to the review - it's out of my price bracket, but darker and more organic is definitely the way forward for any IEM for my preferences, so interested to hear what 64 have tweaked.

Haha! To clarify, it’s the Trio that I haven’t opened yet, but indeed it is a first world problem in its truest form. :D A bit of it has to do with having other cool stuff to play with, but most of it is having more deadlines to meet! :p I too am looking forward to seeing what more the Noir has to offer as it runs in. I’m aware that the original changed quite a bit after some burn, though we’ll see whether or not I hear that with this one and the Trio.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #17,241 of 39,419

darker and more organic ... you are describing the trio... not necessarily dark, but less bright, less stark.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #17,242 of 39,419
The dynamic driver's been retuned to add more warmth and all the internals are now soldered with Mundorf Supreme solder.

Hmm I seem to recall a certain Singaporean high end portable shop with a fondness for the Mundorf solder. Did they have anything to do with the Noir?

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #17,243 of 39,419
Hmm I seem to recall a certain Singaporean high end portable shop with a fondness for the Mundorf solder. Did they have anything to do with the Noir?

Based on my conversations with them, no, they didn’t. Plus, as your modded 1A can attest, those guys moved on from Mundorf a long time ago. :wink:

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #17,244 of 39,419
What would you guys recommend for a clean precise and analytical IEM?

Currently have the A18t, and I do like it but it’s far too fragile for daily use

Going to be getting the Katana at the canjam london (I like that it’s more bass light than the Khan personally), but looking for some additional recommendations. The VE Elysium sounds like a nice option, but it’s also not aluminum...

The Fourte noir is far too warm for my taste (and I have the FiR M5 which is like a Fourte + an estat driver), sooo I’m here banging my head against the wall lel

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #17,245 of 39,419
Why not sell the A18 and get a U18 instead? There are a few Asian brands that offer bright, analytical tunings. A lot of us have stayed away from those brands, because we find them bright and harsh. But it looks like your treble tolerance is high. Check out Ocharaku, Acoustune, Kumitate Lab IEMs.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #17,246 of 39,419
Why not sell the A18 and get a U18 instead? There are a few Asian brands that offer bright, analytical tunings. A lot of us have stayed away from those brands, because we find them bright and harsh. But it looks like your treble tolerance is high. Check out Ocharaku, Acoustune, Kumitate Lab IEMs.
Honestly even if I sold my A18t that would still only cover about half the price of a new U18.... and as it's my first CIEM I am quite fond of it and would like to keep it for sentimental value if nothing else :)

I am curious about those, I will make sure to have a listen. My only trouble is the fact that most of them don't have EU dealers so servicing would be difficult as I'd have to deal with customs in any situation that arises.

Have you heard the VE Erlkonig? I am reading some excellent things about it now, and seeing the packaging it comes in... my god

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #17,247 of 39,419
Honestly even if I sold my A18t that would still only cover about half the price of a new U18.... and as it's my first CIEM I am quite fond of it and would like to keep it for sentimental value if nothing else :)

I am curious about those, I will make sure to have a listen. My only trouble is the fact that most of them don't have EU dealers so servicing would be difficult as I'd have to deal with customs in any situation that arises.

Have you heard the VE Erlkonig? I am reading some excellent things about it now, and seeing the packaging it comes in... my god

Acoustune now have a Spanish dealer - looking forward to hearing their higher end models at Canjam London.

The Erlkonig may be impressive (never heard it, but planning to rectify that this weekend) but considering the £4k+ pricetag, you could comfortably get an Acoustune, a Prophile-8 from InEar and still have over £2k left over if you wanted to hedge your bets. :wink:

Edit: the Octa from Wavaya Audio (from Cyprus) is also worth checking out if you are in the market for another CIEM - it's a 4xBA 4xestat model, and I know my blogmate on Audio Primate rates the treble on that VERY highly.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #17,248 of 39,419

If a durable, metal shell is a prerequisite, then you could wait for the upcoming Dita Dream XLS. The original Dream had a pretty lean, analytical signature.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #17,249 of 39,419
love it when companies will make a 3800$ iem , in order to improve an earlier ,problematic 3600$ version

i expect a 3600$ to make angels appear from the skies , not to be so problematic like the bold part in daniel's thoughts

gotta love head-fi
If it's anything like the Fourte, it'll be easy pickings in the FS section :D

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #17,250 of 39,419
Acoustune now have a Spanish dealer - looking forward to hearing their higher end models at Canjam London.

The Erlkonig may be impressive (never heard it, but planning to rectify that this weekend) but considering the £4k+ pricetag, you could comfortably get an Acoustune, a Prophile-8 from InEar and still have over £2k left over if you wanted to hedge your bets. :wink:

Edit: the Octa from Wavaya Audio (from Cyprus) is also worth checking out if you are in the market for another CIEM - it's a 4xBA 4xestat model, and I know my blogmate on Audio Primate rates the treble on that VERY highly.

I've heard an Acoustune (a silvery one, around 700 euros I think) and the Prophile, and sure they're pretty good for their price points, but still nothing compared to something like the A18t or even the Katana (soundstage, instrumental separation etc). I like my Andromeda S better than I like the Acoustune.

If a durable, metal shell is a prerequisite, then you could wait for the upcoming Dita Dream XLS. The original Dream had a pretty lean, analytical signature.
This I'm actually pretty interested in hearing, will research it further :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back