flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 12, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #16,666 of 39,419
New toy in the mail:

About five weeks ago @SeeSax got sick of me complaining to him about how I could not find a hybrid I liked so he pointed me in the direction of Thomas at NCM and the Bella IEM. I have issues with coherence with hybrids. May be more a psychosomatic issue but I have not been able to find a hybrid I like more than just short listening sessions.

So I purchased the Bella from Thomas. I just said I wanted a lightly smokey translucent shell. I asked him to surprise me with the faceplate and that I am fine with 2 pin or MMCX.

The build took longer than normal and now I know why. He made a Bella V2 for me which is a pleasant surprise. According to Thomas it has a very different signature from Bella V1. He wanted to differentiate it more from the NC5V2.

I will post my initial impressions once they arrive and I will get a full review posted in June once I spend an intense month with them.

So far I can say that @thomaskr has created a very beautiful IEM.

My NCM Bella V2 arrived yesterday.

IMG_1112.jpg

I posted my initial thoughts on them here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ncm-nguyen-custom-monitors-universal-custom.869993/page-9

I will get a review up in a month,

And Happy Mother's day!

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #16,667 of 39,419
May 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #16,668 of 39,419
May 14, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #16,669 of 39,419
May 14, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #16,670 of 39,419
May 14, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #16,672 of 39,419
May 14, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #16,673 of 39,419
How do you follow-up Deezel? You don't. You simply ignore the post above and present one of your own hehe...

Indeed, a great advice!!! So, I'm just going to ignore both of your posts, pretend I didn't even see it :p and will mention about an interesting review article Vishnu (@EagleWings) just shared about amping Hugo2, good or bad? :D

bw2_1.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #16,674 of 39,419
So many great reviews to read! :ksc75smile: Not posting one of my own, but wanted to show off something I got in yesterday that is looking really promising. In the category "affordable" ($350) single BA IEMs this was a really nice surprise, the TP Audio Aurora...
Aurora_M11.JPG

While they have a neutral tone, they remain surprisingly musical and I find myself really enjoying it. The balance seems to be spot on and there are no ugly peaks whatsoever. They are also extremely comfortable to wear, with a semi-custom design that works perfectly for my ears. Should become available as CIEMs too. (The DAP is the FiiO M11, also looking very promising. :) )

May 14, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #16,675 of 39,419
So many great reviews to read! :ksc75smile: Not posting one of my own, but wanted to show off something I got in yesterday that is looking really promising. In the category "affordable" ($350) single BA IEMs this was a really nice surprise, the TP Audio Aurora...

While they have a neutral tone, they remain surprisingly musical and I find myself really enjoying it. The balance seems to be spot on and there are no ugly peaks whatsoever. They are also extremely comfortable to wear, with a semi-custom design that works perfectly for my ears. Should become available as CIEMs too. (The DAP is the FiiO M11, also looking very promising. :) )

Very nice. Is the M11 a loaner / review unit, it did you buy it? Been considering buying one, but can't find anyone in the EU seeking one at the moment!

May 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #16,676 of 39,419
Very nice. Is the M11 a loaner / review unit, it did you buy it? Been considering buying one, but can't find anyone in the EU seeking one at the moment!
The M11 is a review unit. I got it in yesterday, but I think it is not officially available in the EU yet as the international release is planned for early June. Just trying out the "All to DSD" upscaling feature, which seems to work quite well actually.

Edit: FiiO is selling a few units internationally through their Aliexpress store here.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #16,677 of 39,419
Indeed, a great advice!!! So, I'm just going to ignore both of your posts, pretend I didn't even see it :p and will mention about an interesting review article Vishnu (@EagleWings) just shared about amping Hugo2, good or bad? :D

And, I'm gonna continue to respond to these posts with praise! :D I read the article earlier today as I was proofreading my review; a niche article, but an informative and well-written one nonetheless!

Ooh... what an interesting IEM you have there... :wink:

May 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #16,678 of 39,419
Ooh... what an interesting IEM you have there... :wink:
Yeah, I thought you would be familiar with them. Been listening for a few hours now and they seem to work well with everything I throw at them. Love it when I come across IEMs like these.

May 14, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #16,679 of 39,419
Yeah, I thought you would be familiar with them. Been listening for a few hours now and they seem to work well with everything I throw at them. Love it when I come across IEMs like these.

I'll be reviewing the custom version soon. It should only take another week or so. Your initial impressions are very promising! Discovering a do-all IEM is a pleasure indeed. There's no nervous anticipation whenever you change albums or genres. :D

May 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #16,680 of 39,419
I'll be reviewing the custom version soon. It should only take another week or so. Your initial impressions are very promising! Discovering a do-all IEM is a pleasure indeed. There's no nervous anticipation whenever you change albums or genres. :D
At the end of the day, I am an audiophile because I love music and it is a lot of fun to get an opportunity to review IEMs that instantly resonate with me like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back