flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #15,181 of 39,414
Well I actually do have the proper knowledge, experience and research behind me to comfortably and unequivocally say that it's utter bull**** to suggest changing an IEMs tube from one metal material to another will have several dBs of impact over pretty much the entire frequency range.
ans4odzb34sx.gif

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #15,182 of 39,414
No but seriously ,I don't know who this Joseph person is, you're welcome to show him my posts, but if he claims those changes in frequency response are purely due to the material changes, he lying.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #15,183 of 39,414
No but seriously ,I don't know who this Joseph person is, you're welcome to show him my posts, but if he claims those changes in frequency response are purely due to the material changes, he lying.

He's the main man and chief designer at Jomo, and a former sound engineer (I believe). I've certainly not got the knowledge to argue a point for or against, but on a genuine note, I think it would be interesting to see a reasoned debate between people who do know their acoustic science and one (or more) of the IEM designers who are manufacturing gear with these different configurations.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #15,184 of 39,414
It is one of the basic differences between French and American engineering training. One is more based on understanding systems exhaustively, the other on trial and error.

I am not an engineer in any case.
As an Asian in the STEM fields, I can say that we do things quite differently. We just find a temporary solution and it becomes our permanent solution.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #15,186 of 39,414
Yeah, sounds like an open door to selling overpriced stuff. Like 2000$ copper cables because they happen to sound awesome we are not sure why (maybe because they are using the core from a famous cables maker's speaker cable but that's another matter). Or 1000$ premium on copper DAPs. Or 3500$ golden penis pumps.

In any case I am not at risk here, as I have already stayed I didn't like the Trinity :beyersmile:

More seriously, come on man. The people are building 3k IEMs and all of a sudden they just decide : well let's try a brass nozzle. If it makes a difference then good, I have all the marketing bs ready.
Not saying people are not taking advantage of it, of course they are because we live in a consumer-oriented world. I think you have to be beyond naive not to see that there is a good deal of profit to be made. But let's be honest, you too have a $3k DAP and used to have $3k sterling silver IEMs and some expensive cables too, so it is not like you are not seeing any reason to buy the stuff either. And that is not meant as a criticism, just that we spend our money how we see fit and if something happens to appeal to us we spend grossly beyond the sensible. I recently bought a $5k carbon fibre aerodynamic road bike that I ride around on while wearing a backpack that catches wind like a kite. Still love the bike to bits and it is still bloody fast. No excuses, just fun. That is how I see this sort of gear too.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #15,187 of 39,414
He's the main man and chief designer at Jomo, and a former sound engineer (I believe). I've certainly not got the knowledge to argue a point for or against, but on a genuine note, I think it would be interesting to see a reasoned debate between people who do know their acoustic science and one (or more) of the IEM designers who are manufacturing gear with these different configurations.

Cool, send him this way. In fact I encourage him to write a paper about this amazing finding cause it's truly groundbreaking stuff. 4 dB increase in low frequencies by simply changing to a brass tube? That's the most significant flinging in headphone Acoustics in years! Quick, stop the press!

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #15,189 of 39,414
Not saying people are not taking advantage of it, of course they are because we live in a consumer-oriented world. I think you have to be beyond naive not to see that there is a good deal of profit to be made. But let's be honest, you too have a $3k DAP and used to have $3k sterling silver IEMs and some expensive cables too, so it is not like you are not seeing any reason to buy the stuff either. And that is not meant as a criticism, just that we spend our money how we see fit and if something happens to appeal to us we spend grossly beyond the sensible. I recently bought a $5k carbon fibre aerodynamic road bike that I ride around on while wearing a backpack that catches wind like a kite. Still love the bike to bits and it is still bloody fast. No excuses, just fun. That is how I see this sort of gear too.
Did you end up moving back to Amsterdam? I remember being told that lots of bikes get stolen. Wouldn’t want your nice bike to run that risk.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #15,190 of 39,414
Did you end up moving back to Amsterdam? I remember being told that lots of bikes get stolen. Wouldn’t want your nice bike to run that risk.
I did indeed move back to the Netherlands, but not Amsterdam. This bike is also only for training, so I won't park it anywhere near the students (no bike is safe near students). :D

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #15,191 of 39,414
What also gives me doubt, is the fact that people always associate sound differences to what they naturally associate the material with. So anything copper / brass / gold should be fuller / warmer whereas silver / Titanium / steel / aluminum should be sharper / brighter / colder. This reeks of placebo, as there is no common property that I see in these to warrant that. Softness versus hardness? Meeeh. Anyways I have no idea, but honestly, it all seems pretty gimmicky to me. Of course it keeps people entertained...
I’m willing to pay a lot of money for my desired placebo effect...

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #15,194 of 39,414
Maybe we all just need to have miniaturized tibetan singing bowls fitted into our ears instead of ciems to find lasting peace.
Do the singing bowls come in copper or stainless steel? :wink:

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #15,195 of 39,414
Do the singing bowls come in copper or stainless steel? :wink:
Palladium Plated Copper rings alternated with a Gold/Silver Alloy-Tibetian Audio Bowls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back