FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6,796 of 7,931
I'm sure, to some extent, everything gets affected :wink: But these tips have most impact on the upper range. It's common when we measure IEMs to normalize around an overall sound-pressure level or SPL at 1 kHz and you're effectively doing the same when you adjust your volume to a comfortable listening level. In this case, yes, your mids are hardly affected at all, and what you'll experience is a warmer sound as a result of a more rolled-off treble. Here's a comparison of the regular SpinFits vs the new Dual Flange SpinFit on the SE846:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1220#post-13807144

I've not yet measured these on the FLC8S, but I'd expect the same trend.

If you know what foam tips sound like, you pretty much already know what the CP240 tips sound like :)

That graph expains the whole story. It looks like dual flange does not uplift bass and treble like single flange do. One more thing i noticed is that mids remain untouched. So cp100 is geared more towards sound quality and cp240 is more for comfort and isolation. Different tips for different purposes i guess.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #6,797 of 7,931
With new FLC IEMs coming out, I wonder how their base level sound will equate in terms of the FLC8S. I would guess something like red - black or red - gray for the bass.

With regards to tips, a lot of discussion here lately about Spinfit variations. I just wanted to provide a shout - out for the JVC Spiral Dots. They greatly enhance the low end without taking away the high end, at least for me.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #6,800 of 7,931
anyone has a wire digram/schematic for flc8s balanced cable? i'm tryina diy one
FLC8S.jpg

You can check the polarity once you've soldered everything using the following test tracks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yea82nzkh4q70nl/Polarity_Check_Center.flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w03gp5oqadv544/Polarity_Check_Twisted.flac?dl=0

If you've wired everything up properly, the first track should sound like white noise coming from directly between your ears, and the second will sound like it's twisted or messed up, with sound coming from outside or behind your head.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,801 of 7,931

You can check the polarity once you've soldered everything using the following test tracks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yea82nzkh4q70nl/Polarity_Check_Center.flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w03gp5oqadv544/Polarity_Check_Twisted.flac?dl=0

If you've wired everything up properly, the first track should sound like white noise coming from directly between your ears, and the second will sound like it's twisted or messed up, with sound coming from outside or behind your head.

thanks, and one more thing, should i wrap the wires in aluminium? (creating a faraday's cage)

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #6,802 of 7,931
Got a question about cables. I am a bit annoyed by the stock cable, but it's not awful, just a bit tangly, some microphonics. I had a Null Audio cable for some other IEMs a few years back that were solid, I've seen in this thread some people had a Null Audio cable for the FLC8S. Did you order it with the TF10 connector and just end up stretching the holes out or is there another option?

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #6,803 of 7,931
thanks, and one more thing, should i wrap the wires in aluminium? (creating a faraday's cage)

AFAIK shielding isn't strictly necessary for headphone cables, there are some that have it though. Supposedly twisting/braiding wires already helps minimize interference (the reason data cables often come in 'twisted pair').

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #6,804 of 7,931
Got a question about cables. I am a bit annoyed by the stock cable, but it's not awful, just a bit tangly, some microphonics. I had a Null Audio cable for some other IEMs a few years back that were solid, I've seen in this thread some people had a Null Audio cable for the FLC8S. Did you order it with the TF10 connector and just end up stretching the holes out or is there another option?

I got a Null Audio cable with TF10 ... I slightly used a nail file on the pins .. and it fit nicely ... great upgrade ... no need to change them ever again

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #6,806 of 7,931
That's a really interesting question. As another posted noted, Cat5e cable uses tightly twisted pairs to improve SNR. That's using much higher frequency signals over longer cable runs that are going to be more susceptible to loss, but I have heard suggestions that the type of braiding can make a difference - e.g. 4 braid litz weave being inferior to double twisted pair. I suspect that these differences (and shielding with foil) couldn't be reliably measured - certainly not with any equipment I have. I can't be 100% sure the differences wouldn't be audible in all circumstances though - I've made the mistake of that assumption too many times before! But I'd bet the effects would be small enough not to lose any sleep over. I've bought several high-end (= ridiculously overpriced) IEM and full-sized can cables and none of them came with shielding. And the priority with any multi-strand weave is just to avoid the use of additional outer sleeving.

Here are some examples. Lavricables on the left, Kimber-Axios Cu in the middle, TOTL flagship csglinux Cu SE/BAL cable on the right :wink:

20171203_134058.jpg

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #6,807 of 7,931
I was planing to buy the Shure SE846 but then I found out about the FLC 8S...are these FLC 8S comparable to the SE846? For a fraction of the price...?

Source is an iPhone 6 with potentially a Mojo in the near future. I currently have the SE420 and quite like them.

£800 for the Shure is a lot of money, and if I can get the FLC 8S for 1/3 of the price and match the sound quality...well, it would be great.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #6,808 of 7,931
The SE846 has a lot going for it. It's an amazing IEM. Definitely one of my favorites. But the SE846 rolls off the treble past about 8.5 kHz and even with the best filter mods, you can't completely rescue the FR beyond that point. That tends to leave a little coarseness or graininess in the fine-scale details.

As much as I love the SE846, I prefer the FLC8S. Even if they were the same price, I'd choose the FLC8S.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #6,809 of 7,931
The SE846 has a lot going for it. It's an amazing IEM. Definitely one of my favorites. But the SE846 rolls off the treble past about 8.5 kHz and even with the best filter mods, you can't completely rescue the FR beyond that point. That tends to leave a little coarseness or graininess in the fine-scale details.

As much as I love the SE846, I prefer the FLC8S. Even if they were the same price, I'd choose the FLC8S.

Wow, the FLC 8S must be pretty good to compete with the SE846. You convinced me, I am going to buy a pair from Amazon or eBay (I am in the UK and can't find any other dealer).

Thanks a lot for the great advice!

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #6,810 of 7,931

I'd say that price aside the decision is really how you feel about treble and bass. Bass on the 846s is superb. Treble is rolled off. 8s on the other hand has better and more treble but cannot reach the quality or quantity of the 846 bass. This is from memory. Sold the 846s before I got the 8s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back