FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6,676 of 7,931
Silly me. I know we discussed this before but I suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff).
Isn't there a cable which turns these into balanced headphones? Is there an advantage to that? Does it make a difference with units such as the M3S?
What brands are good, and how much should they cost.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #6,679 of 7,931
^
I bought blue first then I wanted a balanced cable so bought red a year after. I might mix the monitors on a cable (1 red + 1 blue) one of these days too. So many options now!

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #6,680 of 7,931
Red grey gold combination sounds great with neutral sources. Much better then black grey gunmetal which though sounds terrific with analytical/cold sources it doesn't do justice with neutral sources.

So for sources that have a neutral signature my choice is now red grey gold. For colored sources black grey gunmetal should sound better.

Update : As much as i like the emotions and better details of red grey gold, i still can't handle it's shouting vocals. Black grey gunmetal is far smoother and easier to listen to. It's a tie for me until i figure out what's better.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #6,682 of 7,931
How about [black - grey - gunmetal] then?

Black grey gunmetal was undoubtedly my favorite combination with colored signature but becomes little boring with neutral. Now with neutral signature i like red grey gold combination better sonically. It's like you are taken from the back row to the front row where singer is singing in front of you. I hear better details and music becomes emotional. But it's little fatiguing due to vocals not sounding right. It's not as smooth as before. It's like owning two different iems altogether and i don't know what's better.. laidback with lesser details or at your face with better details.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #6,684 of 7,931
Red, grey, gold is a great place to start. It's a sound that's hard to not like. Mid-focused, vocals sound great, some bass emphasis, but not too much. It's sins are of omission rather than commission. However, the gunmetal nozzle really is more neutral to my ears, with better treble extension and definition. Vocals are pushed back a bit, and treble has more of a bite but still very enjoyable. The gold nozzle just doesn't sound as good after trying the gunmetal. May need to give green a shot.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #6,685 of 7,931
I tried these with red-grey-gold, and for some reason they sound insanely bright to me. Like, compared to Beyerdynamic DT880, which themselves are known for being bright, the DT880's sound much darker, and "thicker"/less transparent. I think I might switch up for red-black-gold for extra bass, or perhaps I could also change the red to the grey since according to some frequency responses I've seen, the red seems to take away a bit from the mids. I'm not a basshead in any way, as I absolutely adore my DT880's, but right now these kind of lack depth and power, as if the music has no "skeleton".

Or is it a matter of burn-in?

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #6,686 of 7,931
Wow, I've never heard them described as super bright, although they can lean that way the the green nozzle. I didn't notice any huge change with burn in. These are pretty low impedance, what is your source?

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,687 of 7,931
There really is no best combination of filters.

Wise words! :)
I tried these with red-grey-gold, and for some reason they sound insanely bright to me. Like, compared to Beyerdynamic DT880, which themselves are known for being bright, the DT880's sound much darker, and "thicker"/less transparent. I think I might switch up for red-black-gold for extra bass, or perhaps I could also change the red to the grey since according to some frequency responses I've seen, the red seems to take away a bit from the mids. I'm not a basshead in any way, as I absolutely adore my DT880's, but right now these kind of lack depth and power, as if the music has no "skeleton".

Or is it a matter of burn-in?

I believe Forest mentioned way back on this thread that the gold filter actually has a little more treble than that of the gunmetal. (It just has a lot more mid than gunmetal too.) My own measurements show this.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #6,688 of 7,931
Wow, I've never heard them described as super bright, although they can lean that way the the green nozzle. I didn't notice any huge change with burn in. These are pretty low impedance, what is your source?

LG G4. It could be that they aren't too bright, but there is just something about them that makes them lack thickness. I don't really have almost any experience with this stuff, as the DT880, FLC8S, and some various Panasonic cheaps are the only things I've had.

I believe Forest mentioned way back on this thread that the gold filter actually has a little more treble than that of the gunmetal. (It just has a lot more mid than gunmetal too.) My own measurements show this.

Thanks, I'll try it, but I don't know if taming the treble a little is worth sacrificing a lot of mid.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #6,689 of 7,931
Red grey gold : better details, clearer but less extended treble, more bass, aggressive, emotional, more forward, pairs well with dark and neutral sources.

Black grey gunmetal : a touch behind in details, grainy but well extended treble, perfect bass attack, near perfect bass decay, laidback, smooth, organic, pairs perfect with bright sources.

Both sounds right to my ears and it's like owning two different sounding iems at the same time. You may like one or the another as it really depends on what kind of source you have.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #6,690 of 7,931
LG G4. It could be that they aren't too bright, but there is just something about them that makes them lack thickness. I don't really have almost any experience with this stuff, as the DT880, FLC8S, and some various Panasonic cheaps are the only things I've had.

Thanks, I'll try it, but I don't know if taming the treble a little is worth sacrificing a lot of mid.

Are you sure you are getting a good deal. The memory wire can make it difficult? Sounding thin isn't how they typically are described. A poor to mediocre seal will cause this to happen. If you haven't used a lot of IEM's you may think you have a good deal but don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back