FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #5,191 of 7,931
  I do swap phones frequently.

I went to put in a different 2-pin CIEM cable in these, and to my surprise, the pins seemed like they were too large to fit.  Is it just me?  I was too afraid to force them in and stretch the pinholes out too much that they'd never be the same.
Plently of people complain about the cable, but I haven't read a lot about what people have put instead!

You'd either need to sand the pins down yourself (carefully so you don't damage them) or get a cable with Triple.Fi 10-spec'd pins.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5,192 of 7,931
  Do you guys find yourself switching back and forth between different IEMs every couple of hours? 

I find myself getting tired of a certain sound signature after several hours (eg a thicker, u-shaped sound signature) and switch to the FLC8s (which has a thinner and airier sound signature). 

I guess that's why people own several IEMs huh. 

i hear you...to draw experience to skiing, i have different skis for different conditions, even if a fre of them can equally handle the same terrain technically.    but they different slightly in feel due to flex or stiffness, turn radius due to different construction, materials, goals/tastes of the maker/designer used etc

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,193 of 7,931
Has anyone used/owned the HiFiMAN RE-400s? If so, would you mind giving a brief comparison between it and the FLC8S? I was looking for a replacement for my daily driver to use for commuting since I want to preserve my FLC 8S and use them solely for around the house. Thanks in advance

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5,194 of 7,931
Has anyone used/owned the HiFiMAN RE-400s? If so, would you mind giving a brief comparison between it and the FLC8S? I was looking for a replacement for my daily driver to use for commuting since I want to preserve my FLC 8S and use them solely for around the house. Thanks in advance

The RE400 sounds pretty good, but it has a much different sound signature. The RE400 is more mid-forward, smoother, and is more rolled off than the FLC8. I personally would recommend the VSonic GR07 classic as your FLC8 substitute instead. If you're a black bass filter user, go for the bass edition.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #5,195 of 7,931
The RE400 sounds pretty good, but it has a much different sound signature. The RE400 is more mid-forward, smoother, and is more rolled off than the FLC8. I personally would recommend the VSonic GR07 classic as your FLC8 substitute instead. If you're a black bass filter user, go for the bass edition.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I'll see if I can try a pair of GR07's out.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #5,196 of 7,931

Hey yakiddenme,

Just thought I'd add to Ziggomatic's recommendation. He's absolutely right in recommending it as a cheaper alternative to the FLC8s. It's like a quarter of the price of the FLC8s and carries the same sound signature (good soundstage and detail in instrument separation), though not as refined across the board as the FLC8s (basing my opinion on ljorkel's review).

However I get the impression from your post that you wanted something rugged as your 'daily driver to use for commuting.' The left bass driver died in my GR07 within 4 months of getting it, creating highly sibilant and tinny sound. I had better luck with my vSonic R02 Pro2's before that, that lasted just over a year before the left ear piece stopped working completely. I've read a few accounts of the GR07 'breaking' within a year of getting it - the vSonic products are not built to last unless you take SUPER good care of them, it seems.

So yeah, g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ excellent value for the sound they produce, but not built to last. Perhaps factor this into your buying decision as well.

[Edited.]

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #5,197 of 7,931
That's a very good point. My Gr07 classic died after about 1 ½ years. The little wire came apart from the driver and when I tried to repair it, the whole wire broke off from the coil. Liked it enough to get the BE, but would be concerned using one daily as my main IEM

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #5,198 of 7,931

So yeah, great value for the sound they produce, but not built to last. Perhaps factor this into your buying decision as well.

That's a very good point. My Gr07 classic died after about 1 ½ years. 

Mine never lasted beyond a year. The first pair had driver failure within a week. So... that was enough GR07 I could handle. The discontinued LZ-A2, was built more durable and had the fun factor resembling the FLC8. I had that for awhile and actually regret selling it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #5,199 of 7,931
LesureSuitLarry Thanks for the heads up, I was indeed looking for something a little more durable. I was reading about some issues with durability of the GR07. What I may end up doing is scanning the shell of the FLC8S with my 3d scanner and mill some aluminum shells to add to the durability factor. I'd throw on some sweat resistant comply's and in theory should be good to go. I don't remind replacing a cable if it gets mangled since I can make them so cheaply so hopefully this approach works out. Will let you know what I end up doing.

ezekiel77 I may have to look into the LZ-A2 then, I appreciate the recommendation

Flcforrestwei If you had any model files of the FLC8S shell you'd be willing to share that would be amazing, would save me alot of time cleaning up a 3d scan. If not, had you ever considered using an aluminum shell on the FLC8S? Any reason (sonically or for comfort) plastic was used over aluminum? I'm in no way bashing the construction of the shell, just curious if any different materials used to make the shell would have a significant impact on the device

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #5,200 of 7,931
@LesureSuitLarry Thanks for the heads up, I was indeed looking for something a little more durable. I was reading about some issues with durability of the GR07. What I may end up doing is scanning the shell of the FLC8S with my 3d scanner and mill some aluminum shells to add to the durability factor. I'd throw on some sweat resistant comply's and in theory should be good to go. I don't remind replacing a cable if it gets mangled since I can make them so cheaply so hopefully this approach works out. Will let you know what I end up doing.

@ezekiel77 I may have to look into the LZ-A2 then, I appreciate the recommendation

@Flcforrestwei If you had any model files of the FLC8S shell you'd be willing to share that would be amazing, would save me alot of time cleaning up a 3d scan. If not, had you ever considered using an aluminum shell on the FLC8S? Any reason (sonically or for comfort) plastic was used over aluminum? I'm in no way bashing the construction of the shell, just curious if any different materials used to make the shell would have a significant impact on the device

@yakiddenme If you do build these FLC8s casings, can we please have a discussion around how much it would cost to get the same thing done again, because I will throw my money at you faster than a speeding bullet. Would you be open to redesigning the shell-casing all together? I'm absolutely happy to pay you for the time and materials required.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #5,201 of 7,931
@yakiddenme
 If you do build these FLC8s casings, can we please have a discussion around how much it would cost to get the same thing done again, because I will throw my money at you faster than a speeding bullet. Would you be open to redesigning the shell-casing all together? I'm absolutely happy to pay you for the time and materials required.

PM me to let me know what you had in mind for a redesigned shell, I'd like to make a prototype up first before I agreed to anything to see the practicality of it and if machining an aluminum shell had any adverse effects on the sound. I'd gladly help out if I can.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #5,202 of 7,931
@LesureSuitLarry Thanks for the heads up, I was indeed looking for something a little more durable. I was reading about some issues with durability of the GR07. What I may end up doing is scanning the shell of the FLC8S with my 3d scanner and mill some aluminum shells to add to the durability factor. I'd throw on some sweat resistant comply's and in theory should be good to go. I don't remind replacing a cable if it gets mangled since I can make them so cheaply so hopefully this approach works out. Will let you know what I end up doing.

@ezekiel77 I may have to look into the LZ-A2 then, I appreciate the recommendation

@Flcforrestwei If you had any model files of the FLC8S shell you'd be willing to share that would be amazing, would save me alot of time cleaning up a 3d scan. If not, had you ever considered using an aluminum shell on the FLC8S? Any reason (sonically or for comfort) plastic was used over aluminum? I'm in no way bashing the construction of the shell, just curious if any different materials used to make the shell would have a significant impact on the device

I think I explained it before, the reason we choose plastic over alumninum is because we have confidence on FLC8 from the very beginning, as you know, plastic need invest a lot of money and time to build injection tools, if we are not confident to it, we'll not do that, Shure and Westone never use aluminum also.

But aluninum can be made by machine, there is not quantity requirement, you can make 10 pcs this month and another 10 pcs next month.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #5,204 of 7,931
  Does anyone here ever try to pair flc8s with a lotoo paw gold? Are they a matching performers?
I believe have read about it somewhere in this thread, but more clarification would be very lovely :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777158/flc-technology-flc8-and-flc8s-impressions-thread/270#post_12082849

It's the creator's DAP of choice 
biggrin.gif
 you won't find a bigger seal of approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back