FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #3,286 of 7,931
Just listened to my FLC8S after a long long while (completely preoccupied with school work...). Reminded me why I got into this hobby - they sound so coherent and lively after the random IEMs I've been throwing on for studying; they deserve some actual critical listening time. 

My batterbuds still aren't that bad though. At least I don't rip my ear out whenever I use them. :) 

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,287 of 7,931
  Not looking for anything dark...the config is actually pretty balanced with some attenuated subbass.

Sorry, I may have misinterpreted your filter.  I usually use the grey nozzle and think of it as balanced...maybe it is gun-metal gray (blue)?  The true blue is supposed to be less treble.  If you are using the gunmetal (neutral nozzle), then maybe the ZMF Blackwood or other ortho mod?

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3,288 of 7,931
finally got my FLC8s from Shenzhen audio.
Probably regret getting one in red instead of blue. Looks a bit cheap-ish.

that said i still very much stand by the great value hybrid sound.

Enhanced sub-bass, somewhat enhanced mids and mostly linear treble (same as balanced but enhanced mids) - Red ULF, Grey LF and Gold HF/Mids filters. That's my favorite tuning / matches my sound preference . There's still a bit of sibilance with a bit of metal, pop etc as with the balanced tuning , but I can listen to these unEQed. The sub-bass impact, and bass to mids balance is very very impressive, as are sub-bass/bass/mids clarity.
For bass-head levels of bass and no sibilance I do +3db @50hz, q=1.6; -0.6db @ 160hz, q=1.5; +0.8db @ 800hz, q=1.6; db=1.2 @ 1250hz, q=0.8; -0.8db @ 7khz q=1.5; -2.2db @ 8.35khz, q=0.7; -1db @ 9500hz . (on clip + or xduoo x3)

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,289 of 7,931
What the heck is the point of this memory wire crap anyways? Am i supposed to adjust it? It literally just hangs off the side of my head and not even remotely behind my ear in its factory state.

Its a bit hard to A/B test the filters, having to take off the tip unscrew the filter and screw in the new filter and re-apply tip tends to let some brain bias in :/ I do seem to prefer the gold filter the most on the nozzle though

Yes. Adjust to your comfort. Everyone's anatomy is a little different, so make it work for you.

Every IEM I've bought with memory wire comes with the wire in a completely unusable shape. It's shaped for packaging, not human purpose.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #3,290 of 7,931
What the heck is the point of this memory wire crap anyways? Am i supposed to adjust it? It literally just hangs off the side of my head and not even remotely behind my ear in its factory state.

Its a bit hard to A/B test the filters, having to take off the tip unscrew the filter and screw in the new filter and re-apply tip tends to let some brain bias in :/ I do seem to prefer the gold filter the most on the nozzle though
agreed I am not a fan of the memory wire but just started to appreciate it so yeah

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #3,291 of 7,931
Yes. Adjust to your comfort. Everyone's anatomy is a little different, so make it work for you.

Every IEM I've bought with memory wire comes with the wire in a completely unusable shape. It's shaped for packaging, not human purpose.

Correct, you have to bend it in to the shape to fit your ear, then it should fit well and retain that shape.  It should also be mentioned that the IEM has to be inserted in the ear a tthe correct angle or the wire will never be completely fitted or comfortable.   I think that is the problem a lot of people experience with memory wire.  I don't mind it at all.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3,292 of 7,931

I don't think rapid A/B comparison of the filters is necessarily the best way to choose.   I think a decently long audition with a variety of music you know well is the way to go, and then make a change and listen again, not necessarily right away abut can be, and see which configuration you enjoy more.  You may find several configurations you like.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,293 of 7,931
The FLC8S can learn a thing or two from Noble K10 when it comes to the cable and memory wire. One of the most comfortable and least microphonic stock cables Ive used. The memory wire is also extremely well done.

On another note, I enjoy my FLC8S a lot :)

Im thinking of getting custom tips/sleeves done. Any one knows the bore size of the FLC8S in mm? 

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,294 of 7,931
The FLC8S can learn a thing or two from Noble K10 when it comes to the cable and memory wire. One of the most comfortable and least microphonic stock cables Ive used. The memory wire is also extremely well done.

On another note, I enjoy my FLC8S a lot :)

Im thinking of getting custom tips/sleeves done. Any one knows the bore size of the FLC8S in mm? 
approximately 1800 USD to 360 USD.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,295 of 7,931
approximately 1800 USD to 360 USD.

Not sure why you're comparing prices of IEMs. The noble replacement cable costs $50, so I'm pretty sure it costs much less to make. FLC8S has terrible microphonic cable with a bad memory wire AND someone decided to go with connectors for which cables are non existent so people can't even use their own cables. Doubled the damage.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,296 of 7,931
Not sure why you're comparing prices of IEMs. The noble replacement cable costs $50, so I'm pretty sure it costs much less to make. FLC8S has terrible microphonic cable with a bad memory wire AND someone decided to go with connectors for which cables are non existent so people can't even use their own cables. Doubled the damage.
that makes sense though haha. Yeap true flc8s cable is one of the worst I have seen but nowadays I appreciate it despite me hating it last time. Btw you can try Snugs for FLC8S but because of the jagged edges of the nozzle filter, not sure how they are going to create the sleeves.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,297 of 7,931
I was on the fence on trying out some new iems and was actually considering Shure SE846 or Westone W60. I've had Shure E2C and SE535 in the past but eventually sold them off. Also used and sold off UE Triple.fi 10 Pro & Super.fi 5 earphones over the years. I still use Westone 3 & 4 models for everyday listening.

I liked the idea of the filters for the SE846 but prices were holding me back. Then of course with a lot of googling I came across mention of these FLC8S iems. For a half to a third of the price of the aforementioned considerations and predominately highly positive reviews I decided to order up a set. Got them thru eBay and will hopefully see them in a few weeks. So now I'll be reading up on setup/useage and other forum user comments here in preparation for my new arrival.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #3,298 of 7,931
I was on the fence on trying out some new iems and was actually considering Shure SE846 or Westone W60. I've had Shure E2C and SE535 in the past but eventually sold them off. Also used and sold off UE Triple.fi 10 Pro & Super.fi 5 earphones over the years. I still use Westone 3 & 4 models for everyday listening.

I liked the idea of the filters for the SE846 but prices were holding me back. Then of course with a lot of googling I came across mention of these FLC8S iems. For a half to a third of the price of the aforementioned considerations and predominately highly positive reviews I decided to order up a set. Got them thru eBay and will hopefully see them in a few weeks. So now I'll be reading up on setup/useage and other forum user comments here in preparation for my new arrival.
you sir have made the best choice ever. :p

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,299 of 7,931

Congrats Signal2, you may end up getting a better cable (the FLC thread will help the most) but IMHO you get a lot of iem for the money with the FLC8s
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #3,300 of 7,931
you sir have made the best choice ever.
tongue.gif

Thanks! That's encouraging
smile.gif

Congrats Signal2, you may end up getting a better cable (the FLC thread will help the most) but IMHO you get a lot of iem for the money with the FLC8s
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Yes, I was starting to hunt around for ideas on cable. I have read the stock cable isn't the greatest in terms of microphonics and the memory wire. I came across something about a 3rd party silver cable but will look for suggestions here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back