FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,316 of 7,931
  Another query/thought as I reach page 31 of this thread (read during periodic work breaks
wink.gif
) and there's been discussion on filter setups...

What happens if the FLC8S are listened to WITHOUT any filter installed? Or just one in? Or two...etc.? Is having none in equivalent to true neutral or is it really bad? I will give it a try when I get my order but the curiosity is killing me!
popcorn.gif

On to page 32....

lol. Well, I use it with none LF filter and it gives a bit more bass that black LF filter (most bass). Anyways I've lost so many filters that I'm waiting for spare ones from LMUE to give the grey/black filters a try again. But I'm pretty sure no LF filter gives a bit more bass. I've also tried no nozzle filters and it took me some time to realize that it sounds worse than with green or gold filters, for eg. No ULF filters doesn't work, at least for me...

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #3,317 of 7,931
  Another query/thought as I reach page 31 of this thread (read during periodic work breaks
wink.gif

What happens if the FLC8S are listened to WITHOUT any filter installed? Or just one in? Or two...etc.? Is having none in equivalent to true neutral or is it really bad? I will give it a try when I get my order but the curiosity is killing me!
popcorn.gif

On to page 32....

NO this would not be equivalent to a true neutral sound.  Using no low bass filter would reduce the sub-bass output, using no filter for the bass port would raise the overall mid and upper-bass significantly.  No nozzle filter would likely lead to a rather hot top end.  So, my guess (and I could be wrong is that you would get a rather V-shape sound.  Some people probably have tried it and can give a better answer.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,318 of 7,931
^
Good replies @dlayman & @Paulus XII . Your comments is what I was leaning towards in my thought process. Thanks for satiating my curiosity!

Next question now that I'm on page 52+ of the thread. I use Comply and triple flange tips that are compatible with Shure & Westone. Will these work with the stems on the FLC8S? I will buy & try some others that I'm reading about as well but I do have quite the supply of the aforementioned ones.

[Edit]- Just found a discussion on going "filterless" on page 76/77 of this thread.:p

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,319 of 7,931
  ^
Good replies @dlayman & @Paulus XII . Your comments is what I was leaning towards in my thought process. Thanks for satiating my curiosity!

Next question now that I'm on page 52+ of the thread. I use Comply and triple flange tips that are compatible with Shure & Westone. Will these work with the stems on the FLC8S? I will buy & try some others that I'm reading about as well but I do have quite the supply of the aforementioned ones.

Not to butt in Signal but I tried both my Shure tips and my tips from my Westone ADV and both fit fine however I preferred my large Auvio's in the end
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,320 of 7,931
^

Cool beans, @Podster! Will check those out, too!

I've decided to get the Silver Cable from LMUE and Null Audio Arête. For the Arête I read a cable round-up review here on Head-fi that the Arête is better with the nylon sleeve. Can't decide whether to go with full nylon or half/half clear silicon.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #3,321 of 7,931
lol. Well, I use it with none LF filter and it gives a bit more bass that black LF filter (most bass). Anyways I've lost so many filters that I'm waiting for spare ones from LMUE to give the grey/black filters a try again. But I'm pretty sure no LF filter gives a bit more bass. I've also tried no nozzle filters and it took me some time to realize that it sounds worse than with green or gold filters, for eg. No ULF filters doesn't work, at least for me...

Agree on that. Without LF filter I hear more bass but also more open sound. It gives wider soundstage, and it just sounds great.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,325 of 7,931
wink.gif

popcorn.gif

On to page 32....

Without the ULF plug, the earphone will be a earbud, you can wear it to run.
Without the LF plug, the bass is about 2 dB high.
Without the nozzle, the mid will higher at about 2K Hz, vocal is more forward, the treble will less at about 4~5K Hz, sibilance will be less, but the treble is not so solid and bright.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #3,326 of 7,931
In other words, @Flcforrestwei is telling us that there are in fact 80 possible filter/sound combinations if "no filter" is counted as option as well. 
tongue.gif

@Podster I've been jamming your favourite red-grey-green filter combination for longer time lately and agree that it is a really nice fun tuning. It's a great thing the FLC8s only emphasises the sub-bass and leaves the root and upper bass mostly untouched.
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,327 of 7,931
  In other words, @Flcforrestwei is telling us that there are in fact 80 possible filter/sound combinations if "no filter" is counted as option as well. 
tongue.gif

@Podster I've been jamming your favourite red-grey-green filter combination for longer time lately and agree that it is a really nice fun tuning. It's a great thing the FLC8s only emphasises the sub-bass and leaves the root and upper bass mostly untouched.
beerchug.gif

Wow, I never even thought or tried them without the nozzle as a Bud! Gonna have to try it
wink_face.gif

Exactly, I'm a Mid maniac and of course a smooth and not too sparkly high. The fact that the FLC8s is for the most part a mid-centric iem is what makes them such a great iem especially for the price and IMHO what most high end iem/ciem designers try to accomplish, not trying to start a flamer here but their is a reason so many people love the FLC's
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,328 of 7,931
Wow, I never even thought or tried them without the nozzle as a Bud! Gonna have to try it:wink_face:

Exactly, I'm a Mid maniac and of course a smooth and not too sparkly high. The fact that the FLC8s is for the most part a mid-centric iem is what makes them such a great iem especially for the price and IMHO what most high end iem/ciem designers try to accomplish, not trying to start a flamer here but their is a reason so many people love the FLC's:D

:beerchug:

Yeah I so agree with this statement - the flc8s is a mid centric hybrid in disguise... Refined in other areas ofcourse!

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,329 of 7,931
Yeah I so agree with this statement - the flc8s is a mid centric hybrid in disguise... Refined in other areas ofcourse!

Exactly but with enough filter options to sway them really from one end of the spectrum to the other, I just find them ultra versatile and again IMHO one heck of a bargain
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back