FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #5,896 of 7,931
  Just got these like 5 minutes ago. I fiddled with the filters and am waiting to burn them in as I have heard these need some burn in time.

I instantly changed the to the red filters, followed by grey and then finally gold.

Does anyone else use these combinations?

I accidentally tried the green and boy were they harsh. 

Red grey gold is pretty much  "base camp" for most users.

Brooko seemed to like clear none none in his review.  I thought that this was pretty similar to red grey green in overall effect; which was a bit too much treble for me.

Supposedly the greens become more attractive when the units are burned in.  I tried them for a bit but went back to other combinations.  Tried gunmetal for a bit; right now I am back to good old red grey gold.  But I will experiment some more over time.  My replacement ULF filters are in transit (my grey  ULF filters went on extended holiday due to butter fingers).

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #5,897 of 7,931
I went with red grey gold because they were the only suitable sounding combo without piercing treble. I tried the green and it was an instant no way for me.

After giving it like a decent two hours of listen, brand new, I think the treble might be a little too high even with the combo i am using and the mids a little recessed. The vocals and mids sound a bit recessed right at the moment and It may either be due to the red plug or its not burned in.

I tried to switch out the red filters for grey ones but I ended up preferring the red better. No matter which filter I switched to the mids seemed a bit recessed.

How long is the usual burn in period would you say and what can I expect to open up. Really hoping the mid range opens up.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #5,898 of 7,931
  I went with red grey gold because they were the only suitable sounding combo without piercing treble. I tried the green and it was an instant no way for me.

After giving it like a decent two hours of listen, brand new, I think the treble might be a little too high even with the combo i am using and the mids a little recessed. The vocals and mids sound a bit recessed right at the moment and It may either be due to the red plug or its not burned in.

I tried to switch out the red filters for grey ones but I ended up preferring the red better. No matter which filter I switched to the mids seemed a bit recessed.

How long is the usual burn in period would you say and what can I expect to open up. Really hoping the mid range opens up.

What's your source? Try all of these combinations first. The gold filter no matter the source or burn-in has forward mids. Try bringing down the bass. More isn't always better. 

Grey or Red/Grey/Gold
Clear/Clear/Gold
Clear or Grey/Clear/Grey
Clear or Grey/None/Grey

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #5,909 of 7,931
  I would imagine that changing cables could improve the microphonics issue with the blue braided cable. 

Other than microphonics, is there a meaningful sound improvement with replacement cables?

If there is any kind of interference a replacement cable can make a big difference.

I had a cable for an audio interface that I was using with a ferrite core and when I had bought my schiit Modi and Magni for my HD600's I was blown away by the sound with the audio interface cable but knowing that I needed an extra cable, I ordered a regular A to B USB cable and I swapped out the cables for the audio interface A to B cable with the ferrite core.

Long story short, the new cable sounded terrible. The interference due to all my cables everywhere caused some pretty drastic poor dynamics. The HD600's were good but they sounded lifeless. It had a pop to it and sparkle to it that I can't explain. I changed the cable back to the one with the ferrite core and I was right. Its just an example of how external signals may disrupt the sound. It was pretty noticeable to me. Now cable wise for IEM, I am not sure. I am sure if its a better conductor, maybe a little.

All I know is that one instance, where I had ordered a random cable online at amazon and it degraded the sound quality. The good news is that I was able to find out what the little cylinder thing was and eventually found out it was called a ferrite core used to prevent signal noise. Didn't know signal noise from other cables caused such problems. It was literally night an day.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5,910 of 7,931
Which cable can i use for them?. 2 pin or mmcx!

I suggest you search this thread about compatible cables.

There was plenty of discussion on how the TF10 cables (0.75mm connector, lots of options available online) are marginally too thick for the FLC8 (0.74mm) and will stretch out / damage the socket making it too loose for the default cables. I believe besides the stock FLC8 and updated FLC8S cables there is the LMUE one and SGAudioHive which have explicitly said they can support them as below:

http://www.lendmeurears.com/flc8s-single-crystal-silver-upgrade-cable/
https://www.instagram.com/p/_6VhFVCIPb/
https://sgaudiohive.com/collections/cables

You could of course also sand down the TF10 connectors.

On a related note, I've read that the issue with the default FLC8 cable (as opposed to the FLC8s one) is the V split is too high and kind of necessitates you to wrap the cable behind you when wearing it, which is awkward, and would really only be ideal for musician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back