FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 9, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,541 of 7,931
  Is FLC 8S the right choice for listening during biking? 
Is there any problem with cable microphonics as well as earphone isolation (windy weather)?
Is the fit and comfort good enough for the use during the exercise?

Until now I've been using Westone 3 which are amazing for me but unfortunately their cable broke down again (2nd pair of my W3 already!) so I decided to change the brand and also upgrade the sound quality. Many people directed me to FLC8 for their sound quality. I would like to make sure they will be suitable for my bike listening, too.

Personally, I'd never wear anything while biking, especially road biking.  Requires full concentration, and can easily become dangerous at higher speeds.  Just my 2c though.

1) Cable microphonics -yes.  The cable, as mentioned before, is probably the least impressive thing about the FLC8s. Isolation - suspect you may have problem with the bass port especially if wind is passing through it.

2) General exercise wise, the fit and comfort is absolutely great.

3) If you're using earphones actively, be prepared to have them break regularly unless you buy some sort of ruggedized product.  Personally, would not use something as expensive as the FLC8s for active purposes.

Hope this helps.

May 9, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3,542 of 7,931
  Personally, I'd never wear anything while biking, especially road biking.  Requires full concentration, and can easily become dangerous at higher speeds.  Just my 2c though.

1) Cable microphonics -yes.  The cable, as mentioned before, is probably the least impressive thing about the FLC8s. Isolation - suspect you may have problem with the bass port especially if wind is passing through it.

2) General exercise wise, the fit and comfort is absolutely great.

3) If you're using earphones actively, be prepared to have them break regularly unless you buy some sort of ruggedized product.  Personally, would not use something as expensive as the FLC8s for active purposes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the word of caution but biking is the main time when I listen to the music.  I am always extra careful when listening while biking and don't do it on busy streets, only on bike paths/lanes.

Is the bass port more exposed to wind than in other phones?

Active use always tears things quicker, but FLC has detachable cable which is a great advantage.

So I suppose I should get a third-party cable to avoid the microphonics? Or can anybody recommend another great sounding in-ear which would be an upgrade from Westone 3 and be well isolated and not microphonic while biking. I'd appreciate recommendations within $400 budget.

May 9, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,543 of 7,931
  Thanks for the word of caution but biking is the main time when I listen to the music.  I am always extra careful when listening while biking and don't do it on busy streets, only on bike paths/lanes.

Is the bass port more exposed to wind than in other phones?

Active use always tears things quicker, but FLC has detachable cable which is a great advantage.

So I suppose I should get a third-party cable to avoid the microphonics? Or can anybody recommend another great sounding in-ear which would be an upgrade from Westone 3 and be well isolated and not microphonic while biking. I'd appreciate recommendations within $400 budget.

I can say that the upgraded crystal cable is about as microphonic as the original cable maybe a bit less, not sure about other cables but you wont be happy with crystal cable if you want to minimize microphonics.

For sports, use this =)

http://www.lendmeurears.com/alpha-delta-d2m/

*with
  1. IPX 4 sweat resistant design 

Looks awesome to me,
Audio123 totally vouch this! I will be getting one soon too during my trip to singapore next month.

May 9, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #3,544 of 7,931
nice rig mate :smiley:

Cheers! Sounds even better than looks!! 
biggrin.gif

Totally in love with the FLC8s
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #3,545 of 7,931
@korzena - I'd also vote no for biking with this. Did it once to test. I don't have a problem with the cable microphonics (always put them through my shirt if I'm on the move) but wind noise was a little more than tolerable. Also, it has more openings vulnerable to sweat than your typical IEM. And the price, of course. 

Don't know about an upgrade to a Westone 3. TBH I've not found a perfect set for biking myself - I mostly use my Trinity Deltas as the wind noise is acceptable (though noticeable still) and they've been my general exercise IEMs, good build and not too expensive - though I've not tried recently received sets since my bike is not currently in good repair. Ideally, I guess, you'd want solid build, decent fit and insertion depth, and minimal venting.
I received a Nuforce HEM 2 today which is pretty darn nice, thats the 'lowest' model too so the HEM series may be worth a look. Tiny vents on the inside of the shells that fit well inside your ear. The MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 has some hype at the moment and a good build with a similar shape, though I've not heard them myself. Maybe even look at the Campfire Audio Nova on Massdrop at the moment. Its possible the new Trinity products will be ideal with a different shape and vent location (not directly on the back this time), but we won't know that for a few months yet. 

May 9, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #3,546 of 7,931

I can say that the upgraded crystal cable is about as microphonic as the original cable maybe a bit less, not sure about other cables but you wont be happy with crystal cable if you want to minimize microphonics.

For sports, use this =)

*with

Looks awesome to me,
Audio123 totally vouch this! I will be getting one soon too during my trip to singapore next month.

yeap this iem is cheap and good.
10/10.
for impressions, head down to this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805442/alpha-delta-d2-impressions

May 9, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #3,549 of 7,931
  If you guys want a cheap iem for biking, the QKZ W1 Pro should do the trick. Under 10 bucks, low profile, reasonably flat sound. Who cares if it breaks? It's not going to sound as good as the FLC (of course), or even the D2, but it'll hurt less to lose/break the W1 than either of those.

agreed but d2 has IPX 4 sweat resistant design 
tongue.gif

May 9, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #3,551 of 7,931

For sports, use this =)

*with

Looks awesome to me,

Thanks for the info regarding the microphonics. 
As for the recommendation, I don't think alpha-delta-d2m will be an upgrade to my Westone 3 which was 10x pricier:wink:

May 9, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #3,552 of 7,931
  @korzena - I'd also vote no for biking with this. Did it once to test. I don't have a problem with the cable microphonics (always put them through my shirt if I'm on the move) but wind noise was a little more than tolerable. Also, it has more openings vulnerable to sweat than your typical IEM. And the price, of course. 

Don't know about an upgrade to a Westone 3. TBH I've not found a perfect set for biking myself - I mostly use my Trinity Deltas as the wind noise is acceptable (though noticeable still) and they've been my general exercise IEMs, good build and not too expensive - though I've not tried recently received sets since my bike is not currently in good repair. Ideally, I guess, you'd want solid build, decent fit and insertion depth, and minimal venting.
I received a Nuforce HEM 2 today which is pretty darn nice, thats the 'lowest' model too so the HEM series may be worth a look. Tiny vents on the inside of the shells that fit well inside your ear. The MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 has some hype at the moment and a good build with a similar shape, though I've not heard them myself. Maybe even look at the Campfire Audio Nova on Massdrop at the moment. Its possible the new Trinity products will be ideal with a different shape and vent location (not directly on the back this time), but we won't know that for a few months yet. 

The noise from the wind is an important issue. Thanks for mentioning it. 
Westone 3 is very good in terms of isolation and microphonics. It's served me perfectly while biking. The only thing is the cable issue (broke inside). This is my second pair of W3 I had to throw away because of the problem. I am still considering new Westones (W30 or W40), which would be an upgrade, but the cable thing turns me off.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them.

In general I am looking for the earphone with the highest possible sound quality that I could use while biking - so I need great isolation, comfort and minimal microphonics. Budget is around $400.

May 9, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #3,553 of 7,931
Or can anybody recommend another great sounding in-ear which would be an upgrade from Westone 3 and be well isolated and not microphonic while biking. I'd appreciate recommendations within $400 budget.

ATH-IM03

May 9, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3,554 of 7,931
  Thanks for the info regarding the microphonics. 
As for the recommendation, I don't think alpha-delta-d2m will be an upgrade to my Westone 3 which was 10x pricier:wink:

price is not proportional to performance. what if i tell u i actually prefer d2 to westone 3 and many examples of how a single driver can triumph multiple drivers units such as DITA, P1, FAD etc ?

eek.gif

May 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #3,555 of 7,931

price is not proportional to performance. what if i tell u i actually prefer d2 to westone 3 and many examples of how a single driver can triumph multiple drivers units such as DITA, P1, FAD etc ?

eek.gif

Agree, but I do have to say DITA, FAD, definitely not examples of "price-performance" winners.  The former is already expensive, and the latter more so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back