FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 3, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #3,436 of 7,931
  SZaudio deal and I was sold. I think all of us are always looking for an end-game, which is probably impossible, but hoping this is close. I liked the A83 for it's excellent mids, except wanted a little smoother treble and a bit more bass. Hopefully FLC8S is the one to bring it.

I've been going through several different iem's ranging up to A83 pricing, using mostly XB90 and A73 at the moment, and was deciding between FLC8S or saving up for 19-64audio's which is quite a bit of coin. Now for the wait...

well you are in for a treat!  @HiFiChris mentioned flc8s are nicer than the uerm and I fully agree

May 4, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,439 of 7,931

SZaudio deal and I was sold. I think all of us are always looking for an end-game, which is probably impossible, but hoping this is close. I liked the A83 for it's excellent mids, except wanted a little smoother treble and a bit more bass. Hopefully FLC8S is the one to bring it.

I've been going through several different iem's ranging up to A83 pricing, using mostly XB90 and A73 at the moment, and was deciding between FLC8S or saving up for 19-64audio's which is quite a bit of coin. Now for the wait...

well you are in for a treat!  @HiFiChris mentioned flc8s are nicer than the uerm and I fully agree

Well, you should add that I said that I find the FLC8s to be more detailed and liquid in the midrange. In the rest (treble, bass, naturalness, imaging, bass speed, details), the UERM is still the superior in-ear. 
wink.gif

May 4, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #3,440 of 7,931
Well, you should add that I said that I find the FLC8s to be more detailed and liquid in the midrange. In the rest (treble, bass, naturalness, imaging, bass speed, details), the UERM is still the superior in-ear. :wink:
mids*** yes flc8s wins but
Uerm is still superior to flc8s.

May 4, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #3,442 of 7,931
I'm finally getting around to listening to these. I plan to break-in and continue to listen with the default grey/grey/gold filters. I did try the stock clear tips and they seemed okay. But being a "Comply guy" I opted to try out the Crystal tips for the beginning. The tips fit very well and are comfortable. I also swapped out the stock blue cable after the first 30 minutes for the Crystal Silver cable. The Crystal cable is a tad more supple and definitely next to no cord microphonics compared to stock. The monitors themselves fit inside my ears snugly and it appears they will suit me well lying in bed, head on pillow with the IEMs still in my ear. They don't protrude at all. I could do without the memory wire but it's workable and not as annoying as some other brands. Again, the Crystal cable memory wire has a softer flex compared to the stock blue cable.

One thing I did not like at first is the way the 3.5mm plug connector fits into the DAP jack. I'm used to the Westone connector's plastic plug housing sitting flush with the player's jack/case surface. The FLC cable the metal plug is wider near the L-shape plastic housing so a bit of the copper plug remains exposed. At first I kept trying to push it all in but of course it's not going to happen.

Westone:

FLC8S (stock or Crystal Silver):

Even straight out of the box the FLC8S sound good. Using the XDP-100R I switched back and forth between my tried & true Westone W4 and immediately noticeable is the bass with the default filters. I like almost all genres of music except for opera & country but for this trial and breaking in period I am going to audition with ambient/trance, namely Sunlounger, which gives a good range of musicality and tempo along with subtle background nuances...perfect for intimate IEM listening.

After a day looking at these things and an hour or two so far of actual listening I can already say it was an excellent purchase decision.

Next update will likely come when I receive the Null Audio Arête cable and/or Spiral Dot tips.

May 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #3,443 of 7,931
I'm finally getting around to listening to these. I plan to break-in and continue to listen with the default grey/grey/gold filters. I did try the stock clear tips and they seemed okay. But being a "Comply guy" I opted to try out the Crystal tips for the beginning. The tips fit very well and are comfortable. I also swapped out the stock blue cable after the first 30 minutes for the Crystal Silver cable. The Crystal cable is a tad more supple and definitely next to no cord microphonics compared to stock. The monitors themselves fit inside my ears snugly and it appears they will suit me well lying in bed, head on pillow with the IEMs still in my ear. They don't protrude at all. I could do without the memory wire but it's workable and not as annoying as some other brands. Again, the Crystal cable memory wire has a softer flex compared to the stock blue cable.

One thing I did not like at first is the way the 3.5mm plug connector fits into the DAP jack. I'm used to the Westone connector's plastic plug housing sitting flush with the player's jack/case surface. The FLC cable the metal plug is wider near the L-shape plastic housing so a bit of the copper plug remains exposed. At first I kept trying to push it all in but of course it's not going to happen.

Westone:

FLC8S (stock or Crystal Silver):

Even straight out of the box the FLC8S sound good. Using the XDP-100R I switched back and forth between my tried & true Westone W4 and immediately noticeable is the bass with the default filters. I like almost all genres of music except for opera & country but for this trial and breaking in period I am going to audition with ambient/trance, namely Sunlounger, which gives a good range of musicality and tempo along with subtle background nuances...perfect for intimate IEM listening.

After a day looking at these things and an hour or two so far of actual listening I can already say it was an excellent purchase decision.

Next update will likely come when I receive the Null Audio Arête cable and/or Spiral Dot tips.

definitely an excellent purchase decision

May 4, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,444 of 7,931
Guys I need help, I am looking for a cheap 2.5 ttrs female to 3.5 trs male adapter for my 2.5mm crystal cable, but I simply couldnt find one cheaper than the one made by norne audio ( cost about: 60+30int-ship = 90USD )
anyone know a better place to buy?

didn't know this adapter is so rare!

May 4, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,448 of 7,931
So I got the chord mojo to pair with FLC8s and although they sounded better off SMSL M8 + full burson H10, it isn't too far off. Bass is very well controlled on mojo, so I had to switch the red ULF to gray. gray gray gun blue sounds very good, but it sounds a little off. Mids sound kind of muffled while highs can be sometimes sibilant. I don't know if it is because the mojo is so transparent and detailed, but not too impressed so far. If anyone has a mojo they pair with, please feel free to share your sweet spot config :)

May 4, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,450 of 7,931
So I got the chord mojo to pair with FLC8s and although they sounded better off SMSL M8 + full burson H10, it isn't too far off. Bass is very well controlled on mojo, so I had to switch the red ULF to gray. gray gray gun blue sounds very good, but it sounds a little off. Mids sound kind of muffled while highs can be sometimes sibilant. I don't know if it is because the mojo is so transparent and detailed, but not too impressed so far. If anyone has a mojo they pair with, please feel free to share your sweet spot config :)

My go to combo is Red-Grey-Gold but Red-Grey-Green and Red-Grey-Gunmetal have been experienced. With Gold, the mids are one of the best I've heard in an IEM. Gunmetal is close but slightly more recessed and flatter overall when compared to Gold. The Green is only good for instrumentals and orchestral performances to me as it can be more siblant for vocals.
Source is RWAK120/Mojo

Edit: Just to add, Red-Black-Gunmetal is a dream for sweet sweet bass. If that's your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back