FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,196 of 7,931
In the US? Probably nowhere. LMUE out of Singapore is good. I think of the owner (Teo) as a sort of friend, though, so I'm probably biased
wink.gif

well thats a problem, i was considering buying these...

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #3,199 of 7,931
Any news on when the customs are going to be released or the pricing on those?

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,205 of 7,931
I've got to try the green nozzle again now that my FLC8S are fully burned in. Do you find you like green with the stock cable, or is it a bit bright?

I would say that with the stock cable the green wasn't necessarily bright but rather it would be pretty unforgiving of hot recordings, particularly on closely mic-ed vocals. The old cable seems to be just a bit more relaxed in sound.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #3,207 of 7,931
Always had good experience with LMUE also. I wonder, however, why FLC doesn't have more retailers. It would seem they would sell more if they were more widely distributed. Perhaps they are selling all that they can produce. I assume it is quite a small operation.

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,208 of 7,931
  anyone know where i can purchase the right connectors to fit into the FLC8S earpiece sockets?  thinking of constructing my own cable here...i've sent a message to Forrest but someone might already know this here....

At the moment, the only choice of cables that won't loosen the ports are the OEM triplefi 10 cable, old FLC8 stock cable, stock FLC8s, and the FLC8s silver cable made by forrest. Although forrest did say these use the triplefi.10 connectors, he uses steel pins which likely has tighter tolerances than all the custom stuff you see floating around lunashops or ebay, which are mostly brass. The 0.01mm difference in pin size is enough to loosen the connection ports so that the stock cables won't fit as snugly anymore. There was a user with a cheaper triplefi 10 custom cable that had a pin breaking inside the port when he tried to remove it, requiring him to send the iems back to forest to get them fixed. Unless you're completely sure what custom cable you want and do not intend to routinely change cables, I'd say you could get away with any of the triple.fi custom cables available now. 

Personally this was actually the dealbreaker that is making me hold off on purchasing these but as you can see from this thread, there are not a lot of users that have issues with the current 3 cables available and the IEMs themselves have stellar sound quality

I PMed forrest regarding connectors and he did say the future models would be using the standard 0.78mm pin connectors so I will be definitely waiting for those!

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,209 of 7,931
At the moment, the only choice of cables that won't loosen the ports are the OEM triplefi 10 cable, old FLC8 stock cable, stock FLC8s, and the FLC8s silver cable made by forrest. Although forrest did say these use the triplefi.10 connectors, he uses steel pins which likely has tighter tolerances than all the custom stuff you see floating around lunashops or ebay, which are mostly brass. The 0.01mm difference in pin size is enough to loosen the connection ports so that the stock cables won't fit as snugly anymore. There was a user with a cheaper triplefi 10 custom cable that had a pin breaking inside the port when he tried to remove it, requiring him to send the iems back to forest to get them fixed. Unless you're completely sure what custom cable you want and do not intend to routinely change cables, I'd say you could get away with any of the triple.fi custom cables available now. 

Personally this was actually the dealbreaker that is making me hold off on purchasing these but as you can see from this thread, there are not a lot of users that have issues with the current 3 cables available and the IEMs themselves have stellar sound quality

I PMed forrest regarding connectors and he did say the future models would be using the standard 0.78mm pin connectors so I will be definitely waiting for those!

All of the FLC cables are quite good, and each has their own set of strengths. I'm actually finding the original FLC cable to be my preference. It's ergonomics are very good, although I never was particularly bothered by the others. Despite being a lower purity copper than the FLC8S cable and of course not being a silver cable, I find it very relaxed and "analog" sounding. I will be veery interested in future FLC offerings, but the current product is outstanding.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #3,210 of 7,931
  well thats a problem, i was considering buying these...

mine shipped fast and arrived very quickly to New Jersey. Add me to the list of satisfied LMUE customers who was initially slightly hesitant to order from overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back