FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,181 of 7,931
CA Jupiter, EE Zeus, UM Maestro to name a few. All are over $1,000. Are the $1-2,000 better than FLC8S? Not in my bang for your buck meter, but they sure do sound damn good.

FLC8S readily keeps up with or beats the lower tier customs I've heard.

And I haven't heard quite so many as you @audio123. I'm trying, but it's hard. Should have the Kumitate soon. Ito-san has them now and should be sending soon. I hope they arrive before our Portland, OR Head-Fi Meet.

Speaking of the meet, I'll he bringing a lot of DAPs and IEM (including FLC8S, of course) to the meet and a few headphones. If anyone is close and come by, I'd love to meet you and let you iisten to the awesome gear I'll have.
beerchug.gif

yes the kumitate is the best hybrid iem to date for me
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3,182 of 7,931
anyone know where i can purchase the right connectors to fit into the FLC8S earpiece sockets?  thinking of constructing my own cable here...i've sent a message to Forrest but someone might already know this here....

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,183 of 7,931
I just got a new pair of FLC 8s earphones in the mail on Thursday. They sounded absolutely terrible when I first listened to them so I opened a new thread in the Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum to see if anyone could help me. H20Fidelity responded and directed me to this thread.

To keep this post short here is a link to the original post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805124/my-new-flc-8s-earphones-sound-really-bad-what-am-i-doing-wrong-and-or-what-do-i-need-to-get#post_12510854

Since I posted that I've resolved the problem myself by simply burning them in with pink noise for a day. They sound a million times better now.

Even though that's done I've noticed something else that's bothering me and I'd like to get some advice while I'm still within the return window. While I was playing frequency sweeps I noticed that one of the earbuds is a little less loud than the other one. I'm sure that all listening devices are similar in that respect due to manufacturing tolerances but I'm worried that these might be a little too off. I sat down at my bench and took some measurements of the earbuds without the cable and here is what I got.

Left

DC Resistance - 8.881 Ohms
1 kHz Impedance - 12 Ohms
10 kHz Impedance - 8.782 Ohms

Right

DC Resistance - 9.182 Ohms
1 kHz Impedance - 12.52 Ohms
10 kHz Impedance - 9.049 Ohms

Am I just obsessing over minute details or is there actually a problem here?

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,184 of 7,931
  I just got a new pair of FLC 8s earphones in the mail on Thursday. They sounded absolutely terrible when I first listened to them so I opened a new thread in the Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum to see if anyone could help me. H20Fidelity responded and directed me to this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/805124/my-new-flc-8s-earphones-sound-really-bad-what-am-i-doing-wrong-and-or-what-do-i-need-to-get#post_12510854

Since I posted that I've resolved the problem myself by simply burning them in with pink noise for a day. They sound a million times better now.

Even though that's done I've noticed something else that's bothering me and I'd like to get some advice while I'm still within the return window. While I was playing frequency sweeps I noticed that one of the earbuds is a little less loud than the other one. I'm sure that all listening devices are similar in that respect due to manufacturing tolerances but I'm worried that these might be a little too off. I sat down at my bench and took some measurements of the earbuds without the cable and here is what I got.

Left

Right

@Flcforrestwei?

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #3,185 of 7,931

Left

Right

Usually, tolerance of the impedance is +/-15% 

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #3,187 of 7,931
I'm relieved to hear that. The average of my measurements fall within that range. I guess it's time to stop worrying and just enjoy my new earphones. Thanks for the help guys!

This is another good reason to seek out sources that have as low of an output impedance as possible when driving IEM's, which typically are low impedance. It makes these deviations much less significant. Most people have found channel balancing measurements quite good with the FLC, particularly for a multi-driver hybrid.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #3,188 of 7,931
Have to say I'm really liking the original FLC8 cable with the 8S. Using that cable with the Crystal tips and red gray green, a very nice presentation. Lots of detail but still a smooth relaxed presentation. Not a widely tried or popular combo but very very good. Plus no microphonics at all and very ergonomic. A winner all around.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #3,189 of 7,931
Have to say I'm really liking the original FLC8 cable with the 8S. Using that cable with the Crystal tips and red gray green, a very nice presentation. Lots of detail but still a smooth relaxed presentation. Not a widely tried or popular combo but very very good. Plus no microphonics at all and very ergonomic. A winner all around.

Yep, kinda like analog sound and better ergonomics vs the Silver Crystal cable.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,190 of 7,931

I've got to try the green nozzle again now that my FLC8S are fully burned in. Do you find you like green with the stock cable, or is it a bit bright?

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,191 of 7,931
I'm worried I will like these damn IEMS. Plus, I just read they were triple dynamic driver??? I didn't realize that as I've mostly focused on all the sound options.

I've been interested in them since I read about them a while back. Not sure why I never pulled the trigger. I'm getting a listen soon and am really looking forward to it.

Really hoping I'm not impressed as I've spent way too much money this month.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,192 of 7,931
I'm worried I will like these damn IEMS. Plus, I just read they were triple dynamic driver??? I didn't realize that as I've mostly focused on all the sound options.

I've been interested in them since I read about them a while back. Not sure why I never pulled the trigger. I'm getting a listen soon and am really looking forward to it.

Really hoping I'm not impressed as I've spent way too much money this month.

You're going to like them fo sho!

Not a triple dynamic, though. Triple hybrid. 2 BA. 1 Dynamic.

EDIT: Oh yeah,you're going to hear the CIEM demo version. You lucky person :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back