FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #2,567 of 7,931
Honestly, I've not noticed sibliance in my recordings till the FLC8S and it's extremely obvious when used with the Green filter. Like what dlayman said, the sibilance isn't that offensive but it's there. It reminds me of older recordings with higher noise floor modulation where you can hear the 'hiss' in the background (looking at you Miles Davis).

Miles Davis is dead. :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,568 of 7,931
Introducing: My dampening mod.

So reading everyone's comments here suggesting no filters gave me some ideas and went around trying all possible combinations. With red nothing nothing, I still felt there was some glare in the treble, and some lack of bass impact. So I added the grey filter to make it red > grey > No nozzle. This added the bass impact, but the treble still had a slight glare or harshness to it similar to grey/gold nozzles and sounded thinner than I like it. Having tweaked my HE-6 to my exact liking, I have some experience with dampeners. So I thought I'd try some. I had some hifiman dampener lying around (the thin foam mesh that you find behind hifiman headphone drivers (the one you remove to do the open grill mod). It looks like foam but is much thinner and lets sound pass through better and absorbs piercing treble frequencies. I took very little and rubbed it between my fingers to make it into a small ball since the mesh is very thin and has small lint protrusions. I then used the tweezers to add this to the empty nozzle.

Effects of this combination and mod over red-nothing-nothing: Better bass impact, cleaner highs and lack of sibilance. The overall resolution seems to have clearly improved as well compared to the red nothing nothing due to a more linear treble and I can go higher on the volume without causing fatigue. This dampener seems to do the trick for that harsh sibilance I was hearing. The treble is not recessed or soft or dark, but is no longer harsh/shouty. Plus, this keeps the nozzles clean of ear wax as you can always change the dampening foam. One thing I noted with the red-open-open and red-grey-damped is that you need to go higher on the volume compared to all the nozzle and filters installed. Overall it sounds very transparent. Sublime is what comes to mind. I was extremely close to selling my FLC8S but not for now. 

I will further try some dampeners/fabrics like organza or foam to see if I can improve the sound further. The problem is the nozzles are so tiny, I'll have to really shape the dampeners to that small size to get it right but that sounds like fun. I'd suggest whoever can try it to do it and see how the feel about it. Not sure how normal everyday foam will work (I think it'll not be as transparent and might add a veil but worth a try). The whole thing is completely reversible. You just take out the foam mesh with the tweezer and install your nozzles again.

Adding pictures to show what it looks like. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,569 of 7,931

So reading everyone's comments here suggesting no filters gave me some ideas and went around trying all possible combinations. With red nothing nothing, I still felt there was some glare in the treble, and some lack of bass impact. So I added the grey filter to make it red > grey > No nozzle. This added the bass impact, but the treble still had a slight glare or harshness to it similar to grey/gold nozzles and sounded thinner than I like it. Having tweaked my HE-6 to my exact liking, I have some experience with dampeners. So I thought I'd try some. I had some hifiman dampener lying around (the thin foam mesh that you find behind hifiman headphone drivers (the one you remove to do the open grill mod). It looks like foam but is much thinner and lets sound pass through better and absorbs piercing treble frequencies. I took very little and rubbed it between my fingers to make it into a small ball since the mesh is very thin and has small lint protrusions. I then used the tweezers to add this to the empty nozzle.

Effects of this combination and mod over red-nothing-nothing: Better bass impact, cleaner highs and lack of sibilance. The overall resolution seems to have clearly improved as well compared to the red nothing nothing due to a more linear treble and I can go higher on the volume without causing fatigue. This dampener seems to do the trick for that harsh sibilance I was hearing. The treble is not recessed or soft or dark, but is no longer harsh/shouty. Plus, this keeps the nozzles clean of ear wax as you can always change the dampening foam. One thing I noted with the red-open-open and red-grey-damped is that you need to go higher on the volume compared to all the nozzle and filters installed. Overall it sounds very transparent. Sublime is what comes to mind. I was extremely close to selling my FLC8S but not for now. 

I will further try some dampeners/fabrics like organza or foam to see if I can improve the sound further. The problem is the nozzles are so tiny, I'll have to really shape the dampeners to that small size to get it right but that sounds like fun. I'd suggest whoever can try it to do it and see how the feel about it. Not sure how normal everyday foam will work (I think it'll not be as transparent and might add a veil but worth a try). The whole thing is completely reversible. You just take out the foam mesh with the tweezer and install your nozzles again.

Will it fit the Knowles acoustic filter? I kind of feel that the nozzle is too wide for it though..
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #2,570 of 7,931
[quote="Paulus].Who's said they sound better than Sony XBAZ5? Would appreciate some elaboration. I'm about to try the Z5 out.
[/quote]
Honestly I agree with the person who say they sound better than the Z5. Z5's mids and highs sound recessed but bass reproduction is good. The Z5 is quicker than Flc8s though. The recessed mids just put me off overall :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,571 of 7,931

Wow. Do keep us updated on your further trials :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,574 of 7,931
I've played around with quite a few configs, and have mostly settled on Black - grey - green as my preferred. It's pretty versatile and I quite like them this way. I also enjoy Clear - clear - gunmetal (nice and mellow) and clear - red - gunmetal (plays nicely with my classic rock collection).

FXH30 shouldn't be playing anywhere near the level of these. They cost, what, around 50 USD?

Can you make a comparison between the FXH30 and the FLC8s? 
What config on the FLC8s sounds like the FHX30?

Just asking as my FXH30s are arriving in 2-3 weeks and im also interested by the FLC8s.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2,575 of 7,931
Does anyone here own both the FLC8s and the ER4S?

If so can you please make a brief comparison between the two particularly in terms of Detail?

THX

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #2,577 of 7,931
Will it fit the Knowles acoustic filter? I kind of feel that the nozzle is too wide for it though.. :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure if it will fit. Maybe try it out and let us know? always good to have more views.

Wow. Do keep us updated on your further trials :)

That dampening stuff looks awesome.

Silver cable will be here tomorrow.

I really do suggest you guys try it. Maybe start out by thinning out foam into very fine lint to reduce its density.

I've been hearing them like this for a few hours but I definitely notice the better resolution than any of the nozzles.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,578 of 7,931
Does anyone else keep hearing popping sound of some sort when you press the flc8s in your ear to get a good fit? It seems like the dynamic driver is contracting and expanding due to sudden pressure difference or something. Only happens a lot with red ULF, less and less with gray, clear. Is this normal to happen or do I need to be careful?Flcforrestwei

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2,579 of 7,931
Does anyone else keep hearing popping sound of some sort when you press the flc8s in your ear to get a good fit? It seems like the dynamic driver is contracting and expanding due to sudden pressure difference or something. Only happens a lot with red ULF, less and less with gray, clear. Is this normal to happen or do I need to be careful?@Flcforrestwei

i don't have it with me right now, so i can't try it

but as far as i remember the only popping i heard when i used silicone tips, i remember they make some popping noise when i press on the iem to get a better seal, but with comply i don't think i heard any.

i think the sound is caused by the silicone tips.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,580 of 7,931
Does anyone else keep hearing popping sound of some sort when you press the flc8s in your ear to get a good fit? It seems like the dynamic driver is contracting and expanding due to sudden pressure difference or something. Only happens a lot with red ULF, less and less with gray, clear. Is this normal to happen or do I need to be careful?@Flcforrestwei

I don't get any popping sound o.o 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back