Flat response for less than $100?
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #46 of 49
The graphs are flawed - but they usually vary less than human opinions.

Look up any headphone on head-fi and read 20 threads about it and you will come out knowing it is:

"A bass-shy anemic basshead can with recessed brilliant forward mid range that lacks detail and exposes poor bitrates with rolled off bright creamy airy highs that cause tinnitus + needs an amp (no particular reason or specific amp mentioned)".

Your best bet is looking at 2-3 charts from different sources and averaging them out then read reviews by people who have *actually owned them*, then you have a pretty solid idea of what to expect, I'd say.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #47 of 49
Quote:
Your best bet is looking at 2-3 charts from different sources and averaging them out then read reviews by people who have *actually owned them*, then you have a pretty solid idea of what to expect, I'd say.

This is good advice. There is too much "I don't own these but..."  out there. So far what I hear out of my headphones is represented by what the graphs say. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #48 of 49
UPDATE: Its the Brainwavz HM5 VS the two Sennheisers HD 280 vs HD 518. I find the Brainwavz' treble a bit recessed. The HD 280 has a flatter sound but I like the 518's smooth midrange, bass and soundstage better.. Probably due to being open-backed. I'll probably do some more testing but overall, I think the 518's gonna win this one..

Look up any headphone on head-fi and read 20 threads about it and you will come out knowing it is:

"A bass-shy anemic basshead can with recessed brilliant forward mid range that lacks detail and exposes poor bitrates with rolled off bright creamy airy highs that cause tinnitus + needs an amp (no particular reason or specific amp mentioned)".

I usually do that. Besides I usually compare the graphs+my own listening experience, since you guys usually say YMMV.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

lol true seeing boomy to one is anemic to some
tongue.gif
 (person A: M50 bass is too boomy, person B, M50 is bass shy. so who to believe??)
its like saying , this is a girly masculine man which is giganticly short, strong and fragile with a cold, warm heart
biggrin.gif
 (sorry for my bad analogy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back