FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Mar 9, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #466 of 1,354
No didn’t mean you, sorry if it seemed like I was saying that. Having re read my post it does seem a bit like that. Sorry

No worries at all.

I do agree with you about all of this being personal preferences. And at the level of quality available from the likes of the Flares Pro its the same law of diminishing returns kicking in that means that upgrading and seeking improvements can only be justified using ones own circumstances and criteria. There's nothing that anyone here can do to influence mine, though I do use these types of forum' for education and learning and also to help me steer through the many pieces of kit available to try for myself!

I also can understand that the immersive experience from headphones is a personal preference for some (LuckyNat makes that point too). We all listen to music for different reasons, various types of recorded music and under different circumstances (i.e. at work, on the move at home etc.) so that means there are thousands of different permutations of equipment that could be used to do that. Its true still that certain types of music suit difference types of set-up and I can understand that some are much better with the immersive headphones experience. For me, as I said before I really only use headphones when I have to, so that determines my choices. I also don't particularly like the "in the head" experience I get, though I guess I've learned to enjoy it more as I've had to from time to time! All I was saying about the headphone / IEM experience is that for the types of music I like a speaker system is the best by far and ones I get the more enjoyment from.

I'm going to a live concert tomorrow, and I know that I'll want to recreate that experience in my living room afterwards. And it being a normal Indie type band, using a mix of electronics and real instruments, I know my set up can do that. Sometimes I do listen to some live gigs on IEM's and do enjoy the experience, as if I'm sitting with the band (alongside the rest of the audience of course!), its not very natural, but its fun!

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #468 of 1,354
(Edited that post, I was a page behind)

For anyone looking to buy Flares Pro secondhand, eBay are advertising a 20% off for personal audio gear today, 9th March some US time. May have to use US ebay.com to get it. Check out the advert on the front page of Head-fi.

That would mean getting the ones on there now for £200!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #469 of 1,354
... whilst it being impossible to test (short of using a cadaver! I'd like to see that on a test bench lol)

You'll be surprised... (start at 1:00):

I'd have to dig a bit, but there's a pretty extensive study on frequency response variations caused by these differences. They can be substantial, up to 20db iirc!

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #470 of 1,354
Quick question for those who have upgraded from the Flares Pro to the Flares Gold:

Do you feel that it is a significant upgrade or significant enough that the full retail cost is worth it?

I have the Flares Pro, and I'm considering the Flares Gold, but it's a stretch with current finances, and I would have to (and I still want to) sell some of my other headphones/iems to afford. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #471 of 1,354
Quick question for those who have upgraded from the Flares Pro to the Flares Gold:

Do you feel that it is a significant upgrade or significant enough that the full retail cost is worth it?

I have the Flares Pro, and I'm considering the Flares Gold, but it's a stretch with current finances, and I would have to (and I still want to) sell some of my other headphones/iems to afford. Thanks!
I've upgraded to the Gold and yes I find that it is an upgrade in all areas especially the treble.

I got them with the discount so I didnt pay the full retail price.

At the full price I wouldn't have bothered.

As a left field suggestion try the Noble "The Bell" they are less than half the price and they are outstanding.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #472 of 1,354
I've upgraded to the Gold and yes I find that it is an upgrade in all areas especially the treble.

I got them with the discount so I didnt pay the full retail price.

At the full price I wouldn't have bothered.

As a left field suggestion try the Noble "The Bell" they are less than half the price and they are outstanding.

Argh. Treble is the one area I thought needed improvement on the Flares Pro.

I didn't mention, but I have the code, but just not the means yet.

Outbof curiousity, do you used a portable dap? If so, what pairing have you found works well with the Golds?

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #473 of 1,354

Outbof curiousity, do you used a portable dap? If so, what pairing have you found works well with the Golds?

Hi yes I use a Fiio X5 III mainly.

For the Golds and the Flares Pro I have it on High Gain it gives them both the extra volume they seem to need.

Using them on other DAPs and my Samsung phone I have to have the volume quite high

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #474 of 1,354

If you have the code then it’s a no brainier to get the Golds, they are a better earphone in all aspects. At the discounted price they are better than earphones that cost hundreds more.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #476 of 1,354
Still some weeks left to get the money together so might be able to sell before it runs out! Get the adverts out or ebay listing up this weekend and see what happens..

Yeah, I just made a post here in the sale forums. We will see how it goes, but I need my son to wake up from his nap so I can get to my boxes for photos. Going to sell 80% of my headphone/iem stock to afford them, but likely worth it if the treble is improved. Argh. Will likely buy the Golds anyway now, since I can't recall when the 60 days runs out.

Thanks for your responses!

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #477 of 1,354
If you have the code then it’s a no brainier to get the Golds, they are a better earphone in all aspects. At the discounted price they are better than earphones that cost hundreds more.
+1!

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #478 of 1,354
I've been waiting to purchase the FlaresGold based on reviews of the Sennheiser ie800s, which while initially looked like it was going to take on a more mid-forward presentation, now has reviews saying its still pulled back a bit, slightly v-shaped. I'm figuring its more akin to the HiFMan Re800 presentation in the mids, but with a more relaxed treble. Seems Flare is the only company in DD drivers not recessing the mids. I'm still concerned about the treble, but I'll try it anyways. Hopefully the Flare engineers were able to resolve the harshness while still keeping the live sound.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #479 of 1,354
I have mostly been using my Golds with my DX200/Amp5 running lossless files and have yet to hear any treble harshness that was not due to poor mastering.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #480 of 1,354
Well, I ordered the FlaresGold. Now just waiting for them to be shipped...

I have a question though pertaining to dacs for use with the Flares Gold. I currently have the Meridian Explorer2, which is a great device, but from what I've read of it, it uses its own proprietary hardware with software-focus on the side of processing. I'm curious if I'd be better off getting a more dedicated hardware solution. I've written off ESS and Burr-Brown options, as they tend to be warmer sounding, not exactly what I want, though of course not the complete other end either. I've read alot of good things regarding Cirrus Logic, and am thinking of getting the Nexum Aqua+. Or is the Explorer2 good enough?

https://www.nexum-design.com/product-page/aqua-32bit-wireless-headphone-amp

https://www.meridian-audio.com/en/products/dacs/usb-dacs/explorer/

Edit : The charging of the Nexum is via usb. Any way of knowing if it could also be used to stream audio via the same usb cable? I don't want to use wireless. I may need to find another product with the CS chipset.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back