Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #46 of 3,098
This is how I understand it, using a couple of pictures from the web (which are not necessarily to do with driver asymmetry but actually effects of some filters on processed audio causing waveform asymmetry - same graphic representation though) :

This is the waveform of your audio. When it is replayed by a driver, then lets say positive amplitude is the forward movement of the driver and negative backwards movement. In free air, a driver diaphragm will move kind of evenly about the baseline. That's a simplification for sake of explanation (some drivers will be asymmetric in their movement anyway due to design).

When you have uneven pressures either side of the driver diaphragm like in a headphone or speaker, it is going to be able to move more into the lower pressure area whilst the higher presure side will dampen its movement. So then you end up with an asymmetric waveform which look like this:

See how it moves more into the positive than the negative.

Now, from what I understand, this doesn't have much effect when it's an electrical waveform on your computer screen. BUT Davies is saying it has a BIG effect when it's turned into real air pressure wave asymmetry hitting your ear drum.

Your ear drum is pushed more in one direction than the other, a net pressure in one direction - that's not what free-air natural sound does, sounds like distortion to the ear, causes listening fatigue and also brings you closer to hearing damage. Thinking about it, looking at the picture, it will cause your ear drum to move in one direction as if getting battered by a loud sound whilst the average loudness remains apparently fine and comfortable..

That's the basis of the theory as I understand it. With a sealed iem especially and any headphone I guess with air pressures up against your ear, it's going to be more of a problem.

May 24, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #47 of 3,098
  headfonics review up!
http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/

God dammit there goes my money :frowning2:

So in canadian dollars
R2a - 150
R2s - 285
R2Pro - 385

The R2A seems like a steal at that price actually. I was afraid that it would really lag behind the others but the others seem to have benefits that wouldn't be as apparent when listing to modern top 40 songs vs binaural or classical recordings.

So I am stuck deciding between the R2A and R2Pro

May 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #48 of 3,098
I like my phones to be clear but also musical/fun with a large soundstage and involving mids so the R2A seems like the most excellent choice for me. Feels like diminishing returns as you go up though... Although I must say that the SS and the R2pro looks really good

May 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #49 of 3,098
I`m on the R2A and by that review, it could be a steal. I swore my next IEM would be a CIEM but the project intrigued me a couple of weeks ago. 

May 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #50 of 3,098
God dammit there goes my money :frowning2:

So in canadian dollars
R2a - 150
R2s - 285
R2Pro - 385

The R2A seems like a steal at that price actually. I was afraid that it would really lag behind the others but the others seem to have benefits that wouldn't be as apparent when listing to modern top 40 songs vs binaural or classical recordings.

The R2S might even be a good choice for inbetween too. I'm also in limbo like you but I'd need second opinion since that reviewer seem to incline more to bass heavy/v-shaped signature.

The R2A, S and PRO combo suddenly looks enticing, but I just know that I wouldn't need that many phones (with similar sounds!). But I'm also really curious with them... decision decision.

May 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #51 of 3,098

God dammit there goes my money
frown.gif

So in canadian dollars
R2a - 150
R2s - 285
R2Pro - 385

The R2S might even be a good choice for inbetween too. I'm also in limbo like you but I'd need second opinion since that reviewer seem to incline more to bass heavy/v-shaped signature.

The R2A, S and PRO combo suddenly looks enticing, but I just know that I wouldn't need that many phones (with similar sounds!). But I'm also really curious with them... decision decision.

Yes true, but I haven't read any reviews on the R2s so I am sort of waiting on that. I am just considering the point of diminishing returns as well. I just recently was on a tour of VE Zen ear buds which costs like 120 but gave my XBA Z5 for its money. So thats why I am more hesitant to get the more expensive models. The R2A seems to be the most sure fire way of getting most of the benefits at like half the price. But the R2Pro seemed more technically capable. I am weird in that I started out as a basshead then became a neutral/natural head. Now I am sort of in between. Ah first world problems haha. 

May 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #54 of 3,098
I wish Flare had sent out all three models to the various reviewers.  I'm in for R2A but the financial jump from that model to the Pro is significant.  I've yet to read anything on the stainless steel model leaving it a big question mark.

May 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #55 of 3,098
The Cable

I think the Pro IEM desperately needs a fabric braided cable, something that screams higher quality than a typical rubber casing. I do feel the stock cable to be overly thin; I can’t help but to have day dreams about the cable snapping off or shredding somehow. I prefer a stronger exterior sleeve. I can’t really justify that on the cheaper R2A, but I would expect it to exist on the Pro version which will sell for just over £400. As those who know me and my reviews, £300 is the magic price tag value that I feel to warrant nicer, fabric cables.

At that price point, I want to see higher quality exterior sleeves that protect the cable more.

+1 for braided cable for R2PRO

May 24, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #56 of 3,098
They're new to this part of the audio industry - their background is the pro world. It's a niche market and you kind of have to already be in it as an enthusiast to find out who the players are..

Not sure how I first came across Head-Fi myself - think to look up the dirt on some underhand promoting of product by Beresford long time ago (shame cos now his products are superb).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back