Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 24, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #63 of 3,098
They've said there will be a balanced cable option. So I'm sure there will be higher quality cable options also. The hard part might be that the cable has to be the same size as what they're using now. Or come up with some kind of different end cap to allow it trough.

Fwiw I am now up to the r2pro/r2a combo after that review. I can see both being beneficial to me. The A's for casual listening and the pro's for audio work. Almost wish there was a pro/s combo. I'm a bit worried about durability of aluminum. I can be rough on stuff sometimes.

May 24, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #64 of 3,098
Fwiw I am now up to the r2pro/r2a combo after that review. I can see both being beneficial to me. The A's for casual listening and the pro's for audio work. Almost wish there was a pro/s combo. I'm a bit worried about durability of aluminum. I can be rough on stuff sometimes.

There IS a Pro/S combo. £325.

I can't afford that at the mo sadly but have upped mine like you to the pro/a combo as I can also see both being beneficial just for that extra £50.

You know, people with more dosh could be making money off this by re-selling once prices are fully established at near double. i guess that's why they have the 10 x packages too before they start using dealerships who might be taking 50% anyway.

May 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #67 of 3,098
Sounds like the better plan !
wink.gif

May 25, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #71 of 3,098
This is how I understand it, using a couple of pictures from the web (which are not necessarily to do with driver asymmetry but actually effects of some filters on processed audio causing waveform asymmetry - same graphic representation though) :

This is the waveform of your audio. When it is replayed by a driver, then lets say positive amplitude is the forward movement of the driver and negative backwards movement. In free air, a driver diaphragm will move kind of evenly about the baseline. That's a simplification for sake of explanation (some drivers will be asymmetric in their movement anyway due to design).

When you have uneven pressures either side of the driver diaphragm like in a headphone or speaker, it is going to be able to move more into the lower pressure area whilst the higher presure side will dampen its movement. So then you end up with an asymmetric waveform which look like this:

See how it moves more into the positive than the negative.

Now, from what I understand, this doesn't have much effect when it's an electrical waveform on your computer screen. BUT Davies is saying it has a BIG effect when it's turned into real air pressure wave asymmetry hitting your ear drum.

Your ear drum is pushed more in one direction than the other, a net pressure in one direction - that's not what free-air natural sound does, sounds like distortion to the ear, causes listening fatigue and also brings you closer to hearing damage. Thinking about it, looking at the picture, it will cause your ear drum to move in one direction as if getting battered by a loud sound whilst the average loudness remains apparently fine and comfortable..

That's the basis of the theory as I understand it. With a sealed iem especially and any headphone I guess with air pressures up against your ear, it's going to be more of a problem.

So what you're saying here is that the Flare Audio R2 pressure-balanced design could prevent hearing loss? Or am I misinterpreting this theory and your analysis, thus 'proving' that the pressure-balanced technology will improve sound in general but will have a negative effect on the balance and pressure on the eardrum?

Prevention of hearing loss was a major factor for me to back the R2's just as it was for the ADEL technology, hoping for game changers

May 25, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #72 of 3,098
So from the headfonics preamble, it looks like Flare is going to offer braided cable and "both 45 and 90 degree cable adapters." (could anyone tell me what this mean?). I wonder if KS backers could choose at least the braided cable option?

Edit: Nevermind, Flare answered someone about thison one of update page:
@ Ivan Diepart:

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your comment.

The cables for these first R2's are already in production and the people who have been testing them for the last few months have all said they are great. We wanted to use TPE cable as it's so flexible and easy to wrap up into the case.

Future cable/driver assembly's will be announced later on this year to suit different tastes and the cost will be from just £35! :)

This is getting better and better!

May 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #73 of 3,098
So what you're saying here is that the Flare Audio R2 pressure-balanced design could prevent hearing loss? Or am I misinterpreting this theory and your analysis, thus 'proving' that the pressure-balanced technology will improve sound in general but will have a negative effect on the balance and pressure on the eardrum?

Prevention of hearing loss was a major factor for me to back the R2's just as it was for the ADEL technology, hoping for game changers

The bit about the R2s pressure balanced design helping prevent hearing damage is what is claimed by Flare Audio. It is covered a little in their kickstarter video but with a moving diagram of a normal driver/enclosure with the air moving more in one direction than the other (therefore with a net pressure on your eardrum in one direction more than the other and therefore more excursion of your ear drum in one direction than the other) . Their video moving diagrams aren't that clear in my view as they move too fast ...

May 25, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #74 of 3,098
  I am getting all 3. The plan is to spend a week with each, pick my favorite, give one to my girlfriend and sell the last one. Very excited about them!

I offered my girlfriend a set but after explaining about comply tips and deep insertion she decided she'd prefer to avoid the 'Etymotic ear rape experience'.  The things some of us are  willing to go through for quality sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back