Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 3,098
After spending some time reading about Flare's other products and learning they're a company with an eight year history I've jumped aboard and backed their Kickstarter project.

As there are only 12 days remaining and they're only a third of the way to their goal it doesn't look as if they'll get funded but I hope they might.

May 22, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 3,098
After spending some time reading about Flare's other products and learning they're a company with an eight year history I've jumped aboard and backed their Kickstarter project.

As there are only 12 days remaining and they're only a third of the way to their goal it doesn't look as if they'll get funded but I hope they might.

From their latest update, it sounds like they're going into production whether they meet the goal or not. And anyone who backs them will still get the kickstarter price, even if it doesn't succeed. I've asked on their kickstarter page. I'll let you know what they say.

May 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 3,098
That is also how I read it.

In any case, I've backed it. I like the idea of a neutral IEM which isolates, but doesn't feel as if you have rammed a plunger in your ear.

Maybe it really is safer, too...

May 22, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 3,098
The lower sensitivity also means I can hopefully use my TU-HP01 without the dreaded HISSSSSSSS!

May 22, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 3,098
That is also how I read it.

In any case, I've backed it. I like the idea of a neutral IEM which isolates, but doesn't feel as if you have rammed a plunger in your ear.

Maybe it really is safer, too...

I have my doubts this will be any more comfortable than what Etymotic provides.  If I want in-ear comfort (for longer term sessions) I resort to a CIEM.  Still, I very much like the tiny form factor and the possibility of Etymotic style isolation with an IEM that isn't subject to moisture damage (and having to replace the annoying Etymotic filters).

May 23, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #22 of 3,098
I just watched a review video of the R2pro on Youtube.  While it's nice that the cable and driver assembly can be replaced I still think Flare should consider strain reliefs on the housings so users are less likely to have to make use of that option.

May 23, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 3,098

I just watched a review video of the R2pro on Youtube.  While it's nice that the cable and driver assembly can be replaced I still think Flare should consider strain reliefs on the housings so users are less likely to have to make use of that option.

Just got a response by Flare Audio on their KickStarter via PM on this:

The R2 holds it's cable inside solidly with an o-ring that is squeezed gently by the removable end cap to ensure there is no air gap. This makes the cable entry point water tight (an artist testing them accidentally put their R2's through the washing and they worked perfectly after, but we don't recommend this!)

Tiny chamfers are around the cable entry point to reduce wear on the cable. Due to this we have removed the need for a strain relief which would stop the ability of the full assembly being user replaceable (cost of the complete driver and cable assembly is just £35).

We spent weeks pulling and twisting the cable to ensure that this approach worked.

I hope this gives you the confidence to back our project!

Kind Regards, 
Davies

I'm tempted to bite for a pair of R2As. From the limited reviews available, they should be an upgrade to my Shure SE425.

I wonder if anyone has heard both the Trinity Delta and the Flare Audio R2A though and could compare the two directly.

May 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #25 of 3,098
Now my interest on the R2A is even more piqued.

One reviewer off reddit who managed to get their hands on both the R2A and R2Pro seems to prefer the former price-wise.

I also sent another PM on KS to Flare about the bore size and the response was that "the end point is 5mm diameter extending to 6mm." Dang, I guess they won't fit with the Westone True Fit tips.

Only another 11 more days and the R2A goes from $155 AUD to $345 AUD...

May 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #27 of 3,098
  Now my interest on the R2A is even more piqued.

One reviewer off reddit who managed to get their hands on both the R2A and R2Pro seems to prefer the former price-wise.

I also sent another PM on KS to Flare about the bore size and the response was that "the end point is 5mm diameter extending to 6mm." Dang, I guess they won't fit with the Westone True Fit tips.

Only another 11 more days and the R2A goes from $155 AUD to $345 AUD...

The interesting bit of the reddit post to me is this:
There are no iems with a stage like these flare iems. Massive, realistic stage.

Soundstaging is VERY much my thing! I wonder if part of that can also be attributed to using a single, phase coherent driver? Phase coherence is pretty important for soundstaging and realism IMO.

May 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #28 of 3,098
Let's see if I can now add the photo of Flare Audio's beautiful S1 monitor. Made of aerospace aluminium.

Flare-SpaceS1_bis.jpg
 ​

May 23, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 3,098
I hope that I/WE never offer a customer a pair of headphones whilst thinking of the bottom line! I only want to supply what is right for the customer and the rest of his equipment or their needs. I can only guide someone in the right direction as I am able to listen to such a vast array. At £400 these are undeniably very good earphones.....but I would still take Layla on my desert island :D

One thing I will say though......I compared the Herus to the Chord Hugo with these headphones and boy was the Hugo warm sounding.....I didn't think the Hugo was ever really that warm sonically.

To me your input has been of value despite any interest. Afaik you're the first person and HF member who has been comparing to any other brand, how hard that may have been. You may or may not that independent and actually I don't care as long as you're helping other members to get a picture of how these R2's sound like. Sure, I wish Flare Audio would have sent out R2's to the usual suspects such as @|joker| @shotgunshane or UK based people like @mark2410 (>Trinity) and read their impressions, but apparently they didn't. imo HF is where the money is and personally I like any HF/Headfonia/Headfonics/etc. opinion better than any dull/orchestrated opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back