Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #31 of 3,098
I want one but have no money now :cry:

See if you can get some together in the next 10 days..    as long as you can register before the dying seconds of the kickstarter campaign, you'll get some at the discount - they will be honouring all pledges whether or not they reach the target. The kickstarter, as I understand it, is more about speeding up production etc as well as getting them in the field so to speak - is a tough challenge for any new venture into the hi-fi universe, especially the mobile audio part.

Go for the £79 R2As if nothing else.

May 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 3,098
To me your input has been of value despite any interest. Afaik you're the first person and HF member who has been comparing to any other brand, how hard that may have been. You may or may not that independent and actually I don't care as long as you're helping other members to get a picture of how these R2's sound like. Sure, I wish Flare Audio would have sent out R2's to the usual suspects such as @|joker| @shotgunshane or UK based people like @mark2410 (>Trinity) and read their impressions, but apparently they didn't. imo HF is where the money is and personally I like any HF/Headfonia/Headfonics/etc. opinion better than any dull/orchestrated opinion.

Appreciated here too.

Flare Audio started in the live audio arena and so in many ways are only just learning about the personal, mobile audio world.  Their initial reviews of headphones and testing has been in the pro world with renowned producers and musicians/artists.

Still time within the kickstarter campaign time-scale I'm sure for those usual suspects to get a pair to review.

May 23, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #34 of 3,098
 Ah, you have my sympathies! Has been like that for me in the past too, know what it's like.

Thinking sideways, I've seen the R2As "reviewed" by some very small website in the US who state in their terms than any samples sent will definately NOT be returned. It was a fairly pointless review by people who are probably happy with their apple earbuds. The next review was for some kids set of DVDs or something...

Do a favour for us and ask to review some here on Head-Fi.org and do a good indepth report on the sound. No harm in asking.

May 24, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 3,098
I would definitely like to review the r2pro as i did with my VE Zen earbuds which is awesome :ok_woman:, I wouldn't be able to buy it with the situation I'm in now but if they can help me with one I'll definitely buy something in the future when I can afford to pay top dollar for audio gear . Audio is my stress relief from the world :blush:. I went through a divorce a couple of months ago and it was a horrible situation as I lost most of my money I had and also my enjoyment in life:sweat:.

May 24, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 3,098
thanks @mochill for bringing these to my attention. I have been avoiding all KS projects thus far but this one has caught my attention for some reason. 

So just to break it down, there are three models of the in ears right?

R2A - aluminium 
R2S - stainless steel
R2Pro - titanium

I have read the KS page descriptions but in practice i wonder how much the sound fidelity differs from each other. hmm...

May 24, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #37 of 3,098
I have read the KS page descriptions but in practice i wonder how much the sound fidelity differs from each other. hmm...

That's the problem, no one seems to have compared between them in meaningful ways. The only decent comparison I know is between the R2A and R2PRO from the reddit post the page before this. Other comparisons of R2A and R2PRO aren't really helping, all they're basically saying is the political "it's a bit worse, but it's still good." etc. No actual sound comparison. :/

R2S is a total mystery, but flare audio rep said on the update page that the sound is between R2A and R2PRO.

May 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #38 of 3,098
Davies from Flare Audio have explained they will release the frequency charts for all R2 and hopefully R1-Mk2 that we can get light of the difference and fair to all the backers. Thanks to J Master for the asking in Kickstarter.

May 24, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 3,098
So after a few more PM exchanges, I think I'm sold on biting on the R2A. What timely responses from Davis!

In essence, we can expect to hear more reviews in the following weeks or so including "Headphonics and Headfonia publishing reviews next week along with around 20 or so others". If they get enough exposure, I can imagine the early birds going pretty quick!

As for the frequency response publication (as per J Master's posts on KS), Davis doesn't mind if others do the measurements, but from the PM, I assume that it reflects poorly on Flare (and maybe ever so little on his ego as an audio engineer) if he was to publish the data which doesn't account for flaws in the frequency response data (such as asymmetry shift and DC offset) which is what they've decided to target with their audio gear. I would imagine data from Flare's in-development testing kit will take time to both show up and be professionally accepted as "[Flare] intends to then present this work to AES in order for it to be recognised as a standard".

Not having the physical background required to completely understand what's going on, Davis decided to give me a non-technical explanation of the flaw(s) in frequency response data:

I'll try to explain non-technically...

Think of a wave in the sea, then think of it as loosing the trough part.
Loosing the trough means that it would not be a proper wave anymore... it would just be a bump.

If your only measuring the height of the wave in sound and not looking at the two parts then you can't see that what your actually measuring.

The frequency graphs that everyone looks at is just a measure of energy (height of the entire wave), it does not show the balance between the two components that make it.
I realised that the compressed component of waveforms from all speakers was out of balance to the vacuum. Then I realised that no test showed this, thus it's been hidden since the start.

Thus our avoidance of this test as its actually part of the problem why sound has never been accurate from speakers... Until now :wink:

I hope this helps explain, once you hear it, think about this, then hear traditional sound again you'll start to hear the imbalance in the waveforms yourself.

I also suggested he get in touch with Tyll Hertsens at InnerFidelity and he has taken up on that suggestion too! Hopefully we get some data from the man himself!

May 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #41 of 3,098
It's getting there. I was skeptical at first, but since KS project usually gets large surge of uptake during the last few days, I think this project will meet its goal. That's great!

I messaged him on KS and Davies got back to me pretty quick actually and he explained everything so well :) I suggested for him to make an account here and get the member of the trade tag and join in the fun 

May 24, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #44 of 3,098
It's a good idea to promote the kickstarter in here and place like headfonia which I think what they should have done from the start though. The kind of people who would shell out $600 or even $300 for a pair of IEM, from a relatively not-too-well-known brand for personal audio at that, are the ones who proliferate site like this. Provided the sound quality justifies the asking price of course.

I almost missed this had the TC didn't create this thread...

I'm prolly going to get myself an R2PRO, I hope the bass isn't anemic for modern music. :)

May 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #45 of 3,098
headfonics review up!
http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back